UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > James Herbert's The Secret of Crickley Hall

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments Starts Sunday BBC1 9pm

Been looking forward to this - hope it's not rubbish lol

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00ws8y7

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Secret-Cr...

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Ooooo

I hope someone records that for me.

Geoff?

message 3: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Thanks Kath,I'll look forward to that!

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments It'll probably be out on DVD the day after the last episode Patti!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments I really loved the book.

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments one more sleep :)

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments I hope you're not disappointed Kath!

Desley (Cat fosterer) (Booktigger) | 9008 comments Am really looking forward to this, I really like the cast members

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Yay! You found the thread!

I wanna hear all about it. Without spoilers. ;)

Teehee

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments well...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/art...

so it should be ok.

anyway... i am not hypercritical of film/screen adaptations of books. especially this sort of book which has stuff that may be difficult to film, even with the technology and effects they have available these days. as long as it works in whatever way necessary then i will be happy :)

message 11: by Shaun (new)

Shaun (ShaunJeffrey) | 2467 comments Haven't read Herbert's book, but then I haven't taken to his latest ones (I preferred his early pulp horror, ala The Rats etc), but I'll watch the series.

message 12: by Damien (new)

Damien Nash | 34 comments I'm planning to watch this too. I may end up seeing it on iPlayer rather than live as I am supposed to be having a writing weekend. (I do seem to be writing, but on forums rather than on the manuscript!)

message 13: by Kath (new)

Kath | 1965 comments well, i thoroughly enjoyed it
i read the book far too long ago to comment on whether it did it justice, but as a series i thought it worked really well.

dvd is out tomorrow for anyone who missed it and doesn't want to (or can't use) iplayer

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Secret-Cr...

Desley (Cat fosterer) (Booktigger) | 9008 comments Me too, and like you, it is a while since I read the book but I thoroughly enjoyed it and was moved by the ending

Kay (Golden Girl) | 2286 comments I really enjoyed it and might get DVD ,so can watch it again,thought the cast were very good

message 16: by Pat (Scorpio) (new)

Pat (Scorpio) Yes I agree, I enjoyed it too. I have the ebook on my kindle but not read it yet. Will give it a bit and then re enjoy it all over again.

message 17: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments When my new freesat HD box arrives tomorrow, it's the first thing I'll look for on the I player app. Well, that and Hunted.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (VanessaAKADumbo) | 8703 comments Tim wrote: "When my new freesat HD box arrives tomorrow, it's the first thing I'll look for on the I player app. Well, that and Hunted."

What box did you buy Tim?

message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments The Humax HDR-1000S. 1TB version (cos it was only 20 quid more for the extra 500GB!). Coming from John Lewis, cos they have a 2 year warranty and were as cheap as the cheapest online.

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (VanessaAKADumbo) | 8703 comments All Humax's have a 2 year warranty.
What's the difference between yours and the Humax Foxsat HDR 1TB which is the one that I've got, it seems a lot more money for yours?

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Faster processor, more ram, html5 app support. eThe big thing is FreeTime, which is a major part of FreeSat 2.0. New epg allows you to record anything that was on in the last week (effectively integrates iplayer etc into the EPG). Also integrates iplayer & itv player, plus 4od, Netflix etc coming in the new year.

Ant the mo, this is the only 2.0 box, but when other brands get licensed for it, I'm sure the price will start to drop. Old boxes won't get the new features, cos their hardware isn't up to it (so they say)

http://www.freesat.co.uk/freetime/

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (VanessaAKADumbo) | 8703 comments Tim, that sounds good. You'll have to tell us what it's like to use. Humax seem to be the best for these boxes.

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments Do you lot think it would be worth our while to get one for our flat in Wales?

Bearing in mind we're there for only a few weeks a year.

message 24: by Christine (new)

Christine (Chrissylovesherkindle) Is the book better than the tv series? Ive got it to read. I watched it and enjoyed it. Thought it was supposed to be scary horror and it seemed tame to me.

message 25: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5175 comments Really enjoyed the series,can't compare it to the book as I've never read it!
Phil recently installed the Humax Foxsat-HDR DTR now I can't even switch the TV on.Good thing I don't watch much! We don't get ITVplayer either,apparantly something to do with our poscode.

message 26: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Vanessa wrote: "Tim, that sounds good. You'll have to tell us what it's like to use. Humax seem to be the best for these boxes."

Alan Sugar has just been touting it on "Stephen Fry Gadget Man" (channel 4)

message 27: by Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (last edited Dec 03, 2012 02:28PM) (new)

Vanessa (aka Dumbo) (VanessaAKADumbo) | 8703 comments Yeah, I just saw that Tim...it looks pretty good. But I'm happy enough with my one. It's hard enough choosing what to watch and what to record as it is without more choice lol. I've got i-player and ITV player on mine anyway although I don't use it much.

message 28: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Dec 03, 2012 03:03PM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4697 comments Read the book. Watched the tv adaptation. Brilliant. I didn't think they would be able to do it but they did . Five stars.