The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
WINTER CHALLENGE 2012-2013 > Winter Challenge 2012-2013: Tasks

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Nov 17, 2012 03:44PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 14414 comments Mod
5 point tasks

5.1 Find a Good Book
HelpThread
Read a book with the word “good” found intact in a word in the title, subtitle, or author's name. ex. Good Omens, The Goodbye Quilt, Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary, Alison Goodman

5.2 Phil's Prediction
Help Thread
The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania where the crowd awaits Punxsutawney Phil’s prediction. Read a book with two consecutive words in the title and/or subtitle that begin with the same first letter ex. Notorious Nineteen, The Black Box, Happily Ever Madder: Misadventures of a Mad Fat Girl

5.3 Plain Brown Wrapper
Help Thread
January 3rd is Humiliation Day. Read a book you are embarrassed you have NOT read yet (like a well-loved classic or a book that 'everyone' has read) OR a book you are embarrassed you WANT to read (a guilty pleasure book or a book cover you would hide)

5.4 Faith, Trust, and Pixie Dust
Help Thread
February 5, 2013 is the 60th anniversary of the US release of Disney's Peter Pan- In honor of Tinkerbell, read a book with fairy/fae characters. This list may help: Books About Faery
Required: If the book’s description does not mention the fairy/fae character(s) OR the genre “fairies” or a related genre does not appear on the main book page you must identify the character when you post

5.5 Raise a Glass
Help Thread
Prohibition was repealed on December 5, 1933. Read a book with a beverage container- a bottle, glass, mug, cup, canteen, etc. on the cover.
Dry A Memoir by Augusten Burroughs A Beautiful Blue Death (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #1) by Charles Finch Shades of Earl Grey (A Tea Shop Mystery, #3) by Laura Childs Dragonfly in Amber (Outlander, #2) by Diana Gabaldon Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst
Required: Please include the cover when you post

5.6 You Have Bewitched Me
Help Thread
January 28, 2013 is the 200th anniversary of the publication of Pride and Prejudice. Read a book by Jane Austen; a fiction or non-fiction book about Jane Austen or her work/influence; or an adaptation/retelling/continuation of a Jane Austen novel. These lists may help: Best Jane Austen Fan Fiction, Best Jane Austen Retellings
Required:If the connection is not clear in the book's description, please explain how your choice fits the task when you post

5.7 Birdcalls
Help Thread
January 5 is National Bird Day: Read a book by an author whose name is also a bird's name. Any single word in a common bird name may be used. Hyphenated words may not be separated. Plurals and possessives work, but no spelling variations List of common bird names Bird names not on this list may be used, but you must provide a reference when you post
For example, Blue Jay- Jay Asher, American Robin- Robin McKinley, King Penguin- Stephen King, Zebra Finch- Charles Finch, Grey Goshawk- Zane Grey, Wood Duck- Stuart Woods
Required: Please name the bird used when you post

5.8 End of Days
Help Thread
The end of the world is near—December 21, 2012, to be exact—according to theories based on a purported ancient Maya prediction. So hurry up and read a book with an end of days genre on the main book page: Apocalyptic, Post Apocalyptic, Dying Earth.

5.9 Shhh!
Help Thread
February 25th is Quiet Day. Read a book with a word in the title or subtitle that begins with "SH" ex. Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, The Shadow of the Wind, Lost in Shangri-la

5.10 A Claus for Celebration
Help Thread
Read a book set during winter or with a winter holiday (December-February) theme: Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, New Year's Eve, Valentine's Day, etc.
Required:If the winter/holiday connection is not clear in the book's description, please explain how your choice fits the task when you post

message 2: by Sandy (last edited Dec 12, 2012 05:25AM) (new)

Sandy | 12662 comments Mod
10.1. Happy New Years!
Help Thread
In honor of starting a new year, read a book that is either the first book in a series that is new to you, or a book with the word or numeral “one” in the title/subtitle. The word “first” will also work. For the "first in a series" option, the book must be identified as such on GR.

10.2. Let’s Get Something Started.
Help Thread
Since the beginning of the year is a good time to plan for the year, read a nonfiction book that relates to something you would like to do in 2013. This could be something that you always do – planting a garden, trying to unclutter your stuff, or something new, like reading about a new place you’d like to go on vacation. Required: explain what you’d like to do and how your book relates to that.

10.3. They All Look Good to Me.
Help Thread
Read a book that was nominated for the group read for Winter 2012-2013, in a different category than the book you used for Task 20.10. You can use any of the 20 nominees in those two categories.
Winter Group Reads Polls

When you post for this task, either indicate what book you used for 20.10 (if you've already posted it) or what book you plan to use for 20.10 (if you haven't already posted it).

10.4. Where DO Those Letters Go?
Help Thread
Try to find out where those letters to Santa go, by reading a book set in one of the closest land areas to the North Pole - Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Iceland, Norway, Sweden, Finland or Russia. REQUIRED: If the setting is not clear from the GR description, explain in your post.

10.5. Paint It Red.
Help Thread
In honor of the Vermilion Bird, read a book with the word “red” or one of its variants (crimson, scarlet, vermilion, etc.) found intact in either the title or the author’s name.

The title/author name word must by itself be a word meaning some shade of red. A word that by itself does not mean a shade of red will not work. For example, although some might consider "blood red" or "dark red" to be names for variations of red, the words "blood" or "dark" would not work as title/author name words.

10.6. I Resolve to Read Lots of Books!
Help Thread
Read a book whose author's initials can be found sequentially in NEWYEARSRESOLUTION. The letters can appear either forward or backwards, and the final “N” wraps to the initial “N,” so an author with the initials NN would work. Ignore middle names and middle initials.

REQUIRED: Include the name of the author in your post.
Examples: Nora Ephron (NEWYEARSRESOLUTION); Richard Adams (NEWYEARSRESOLUTION); Naomi Novik (NEWYEARSRESOLUTION)

10.7. Hail to the Chief.
Help Thread
In honor of Presidents Day and Inaugural Day, read a biography, autobiography, or memoir of a U.S. President.

10.8. Short and Sweet.
Help Thread
Since days get shorter in the winter, read a short book, fewer than 200 pages. NOTE: normal SRC minimum length requirements still apply. An e-book with no paper version will not work for this task.

10.9. The Fall Finishers' Five-Star Favorites.
Help Thread
Read a 5 star book read by one of the SRC members who completed the Fall 2012 Challenge. REQUIRED: Give the name of the SRC member whose list you used. The book may be any 5 star book on the “read” list of that member – it need not have been read during the Fall Challenge.
Ms. Anderson
Sheila
Butterflycager
Cindy AL
Dlmrose
Donna Jo
Sassafrass
Delicious Dee
Peebee
Laurie ME
Stacie MI
Coralie
Lois
Keltie Lee
Nick KY
Stesse
Robin ♥
JennRenee
Chaitra
Vi
mstan
Sandy
Kate S

10.10. Lucky 13.
Help Thread
While many superstitions surround the number 13 as unlucky, I’ve always found it a lucky number for me. Let's anticipate that the year 2013 will be a good one, and read a book with one of the following words or its variations in the title/subtitle – Luck, Fortune, Charm, Opportunity, Success. Variations are fine – for instance, you could read Lucky Jim, Fortunate Harbor, Charming Billy.

message 3: by Kristina Simon (last edited Nov 19, 2012 07:57PM) (new)

Kristina Simon (KristinaSimon) | 8938 comments Mod
15 pointers

15.1 -- One Man's Trash....
Task Help Thread
Sort you Goodreads TBR list by average rating. Read one book from the 10 highest rated books on your shelf AND one book from the 10 lowest rated books. If you have more than one TBR list on GRs, choose one list and read both books from that list. If you do not keep a TBR list on GRs, make a list of 20 books, look up their ratings, put them in order from highest to lowest and use that list to choose your books. Any books that have not yet been published or books with an average rating of 0.00 should be ignored.

15.2 -- Two Plus Two
Task Help Thread
Read TWO books by authors whose initials can be put together to form a four letter word. If an author uses 3 names or initials, any letters may be used to make up the 4 letter word. Example: Nora Roberts and Molly O'Keefe = NORM, J.R.R. Tolkein and Erin Kellison = JERK. In order to count, the 4 letter word must appear in the Official Scrabble Players Dictionary. Required: State the 4 letter word made when you post.

15.3 -- Out with the Old, In with the New
Task Help Thread
Option 1: Read TWO books - one with the word "old" in the title/subtitle/series title AND one with the word "new" in the title/subtitle/series title.
OR
Option 2: Read ONE book with both the words "old" and "new" in the title/subtitle/series title. Examples: Alligators, Old Mink and New Money: One Woman's Adventures in Vintage Clothing, Kissing the Witch: Old Tales in New Skins, Old New York: Four Novellas

15.4 -- Naming Names
Task Help Thread
Option 1: Read TWO books that have a person's name in the title/subtitle/series title.
OR
Option 2: Read ONE book that has two people's names in the title/subtitle/series title. Examples: Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist, Amy and Roger's Epic Detour, Emily and Einstein, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell, Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon--And the Journey of a Generation

15.5 -- We Got the Beat
Task Help Thread
Read a book with a title that has the same number of syllables found in your first and last names combined. Subtitles may be used or ignored as needed. All words in the title, including articles (a, an, the), count. Required: State the number of syllables in your name when you post. Example: My first and last name has 6 syllables when combined. Therefore, I could read Robinson Crusoe, Agnes and the Hitman, or The Uncommon Reader. If you're unsure of how many syllables a word has in it, this website might help: How to Count Syllables

15.6 -- The Year of the Snake
Task Help Thread
2013 is the year of the snake. Read a book first published in a year of the snake: 1905*1917*1929*1941*1953*1965*1977*1989*2001*2013

15.7 -- Opposites Attract
Task Help Thread
Astrology books often state that people find kindred spirits in the sign and gender opposite of them. Read a book written by a person who is your opposite in both ways (gender and sign), and see if you find this to be true from his/her writing. For example, I'm a female Gemini so I'd read a book written by a male Sagittarius.
For the purposes of this task, we'll use the signs, dates, and opposites below:
Aries (March 21 - April 19) <---> Libra (Sept 23 - Oct 22)
Taurus (April 20 - May 20) <---> Scorpio (Oct 23 - Nov 21)
Gemini (May 21 - June 20) <---> Sagittarius (Nov 22 - Dec 21)
Cancer (June 21 - July 21) <---> Capricorn (Dec 22 - Jan 19)
Leo (July 22 - Aug 22) <---> Aquarius (Jan 20 - Feb 18)
Virgo (Aug 23 - Sept 22) <---> Pisces (Feb 19 - March 20)
Required: State your gender and sign as well as providing the author's birthdate when posting.
If Goodreads does not list the author's birthdate, you must provide a link to that information for verification in order to get credit for this task.

These lists may help: Author Birthdays, Famous Authors' Birthdays

15.8 -- Red Rover, Red Rover
Task Help Thread
Red Rover is an outdoor game played primarily by children on playgrounds. Røver is a Norwegian word for "pirate", so perhaps the early British were showing bravery by daring the Viking raiders to "come over". The 1829 book titled The Red Rover by James Fenimore Cooper describes the exploits of a pirate called "Red Rover." For this task, read a book with a main character who is a pirate or privateer. These lists might help: Pirates!, Historical Pirate Romance Books. The pirates can be modern-day seafaring pirates as well. Example: Terror on the Seas: True Tales of Modern-Day Pirates.
Required: If not obvious from the GRs description, explain how your book choice fits the task when you post.

15.9 -- Fly South for the Winter
Task Help Thread
Read a book set in a country in the Southern Hemisphere. If the book is set in multiple locations, at least half of the action must take place in the Southern Hemisphere in order for the book to count. If the equator passes through the country the book is set in, it will count as a Southern Hemisphere country for the purposes of this task. These references might help: Hemisphere Map, Map of Countries the Equator Passes Through
Required: If not obvious from the GRs description, explain how your book choice fits the task when you post.

15.10 -- A Bird in the Hand....
Task Help Thread
Read any book in your possession as of November 15, 2012.

message 4: by Sandy (last edited Dec 12, 2012 03:38AM) (new)

20.1 - Most Improved Player - Putterpal's Task: There's a 1st Time for Everything
Help Thread
My husband's favorite number is 13 so we are very excited for the year 2013. To finish this year off with a bang and get ready for the new year, our family is headed to Disneyland for the very first time.

Read an author's debut book, that is the first published stand-alone book written by any author. This list may help: Best New Author Debuts, as well as this GoodReads feature - Debut Author Snapshots.

When using either resource, however, be careful that the book you choose is the first published book by that author. Some authors may have published books in other areas (non-fiction, childrens' books, etc.), and their first published adult novel would not work for this task.

20.2 - Rookie at the Top - Janet F's Task: Rookie It’s Snow Joke, “Winter’s Cool”!
Help Thread
What unique plans do you have for the winter? Besides that blizzard of reading with all of the great tasks! Do you want to see some new movies, take a winter nature hike or try out a new winter sport?

I plan to see the movie Anna Karenina soon. I remember loving the story by Leo Tolstoy but I admit I'm more thrilled to see the movie vs. read the book again. I also plan to get out the door for some winter walks. I love exploring my environment and Annie Dillard with her Pilgrim at Tinker Creek inspires a poetic fascination of nature for me. Finally, I hope to get back to some cross-country skiing this season. I just need lots of snow in the nearby mountains for that!

Read ONE book from one of the six options that inspire or help my winter plans. REQUIRED: State which option you choose and include any required elements.

Option 1. Read any book by Leo Tolstoy.

Option 2. Read any book with the setting in Russia. If genre is not listed as Cultural>Russia on the book’s home page then provide a reference or explanation for the setting in your post.

Option 3. Read any book by Annie Dillard

Option 4. Read a book with 'Nature' listed as a genre or subgenre on its main page.

Option 5. Read a book with the word ‘snow’ in the title. No variations on the word are allowed, including plurals and possessives.

Option 6. Read a book with mountain(s) on the cover.
REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

20.3 - Best Review - Chris MD's Task: Deck the Halls
Help Thread
It's that time of year when holiday songs run through my head almost non-stop. So, to get them out of my head and into yours, my task will involve lines from Deck the Halls.

REQUIRED: In your post, state which option you chose. For any option requiring a cover image, you must include the cover in your post.

1. Boughs of Holly – Read a book with any form of Christmas decoration on the cover. Some examples: Christmas tree, wreath, holly, mistletoe, Christmas stocking, ornaments, wrapped packages, Christmas lights. Note that this must be a decoration -- so any kind of Santa Claus decoration works, even someone in a Santa suit, but the "real" Santa and his sleigh flying through the sky doesn’t (for example, Catching Santa would NOT work, but Skipping Christmas would); a model nativity scene works but a “Star of Bethlehem” in the sky or an image of the nativity or the wise men wouldn’t (for example, Seth Grahame-Smith’s Unholy Night would NOT work).

2. Gay Apparel – Read a book with a cover that shows someone dressed in something you would wear to a fancy holiday party: cocktail dress, gown, tuxedo. The gown must be one that could have been worn to a formal holiday party, now or at the time in which the book is set, but a gown will not work for this task simply because it is from an earlier time and would work for a costume party.

3. Blazing Yule – Read a book with a cover that shows flames. Any type of flame will work.

4. Strike the Harp - Read a book with a cover that shows a musical instrument.

5. The Old Year Passes – Read a book published in 2012.

6. Don't forget the Fa-la-la-la-las -- Read a book with two or more "LA" letter sequences found within the title/subtitle/author's name.
Examples: Alice in La-La Land, His Larkville Cinderella, Laila Lalami

20.4 - Author!Author! - Janice CA's Task: Renaissance Authors
Help Thread
I am always in awe of authors who are multifaceted. They not only have the talent to write books, but also dedicate their considerable energies and skills to other fields such as science, art, politics, teaching, and charity work, just to name a few of their other pursuits. In honor of these Renaissance men and woman, read a fiction or non-fiction book written by someone who you admire for their contributions outside the literary field. Of course, I also hope that you are inspired by their writing.

Required: Please state the contribution for which you admire the author of your book.

Examples:
Dalai Lama XIV religious leader and peace advocate
Jane Goodall conservationist
Carlotta Walls LaNier civil rights pioneer
Mark Twain abolitionist

20.5 - Bigger is Better - Meghanly's Task: Beatle Mania!
Help Thread
2013 marks the 50th anniversary for the debut Beatles Album "Please Please Me", released in the UK in 1963 (and my favorite early Beatles album). Read a book with a word from one of the album's song titles in the book title or subtitle, as listed here: Please Please Me

For purposes of this task, you cannot use the words "to", "a", "and", "of". No variations or plurals will be accepted; contractions in song titles must be contractions in the book titles.

REQUIRED: Identify the song title when you post.

20.6 - Seasoned Reader - Patricia's Task: "“Punctuation, is? fun!”
Help Thread
"“Punctuation, is? fun!” ― Daniel Keyes, Flowers for Algernon
Let's have some fun. For this task, read one book which has a punctuation mark in its title/subtitle (as shown on Goodreads). REQUIRED:State in your post the punctuation mark you chose.

For the purpose of this task, accepted punctuation marks are the following:

Period . Example: S.

Question Mark ? Example:Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Exclamation Mark ! Example: O Pioneers!

Colon : Example: Someone Knows My Name: A Novel

Semicolon ; Alphabet Juice: The Energies, Gists, and Spirits of Letters, Words, and Combinations Thereof; Their Roots, Bones, Innards, Piths, Pips, and Secret Parts, Tinctures, Tonics, and Essences; With Examples of Their Usage Foul and Savory

Hyphen - Example: The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

Dash-- Example:
How Not to Write a Novel: 200 Classic Mistakes and How to Avoid Them--A Misstep-by-Misstep Guide

Parentheses () Example: The Most Popular Fiction Book, Product, Novel, Gift, and Item Sold of All Time for Women, Men, and Kids: In the Whole World (2009, 2010) Tags: Romance, Amazon, History, Author, Teen, Art, Vampire, Diet

Ellipsis … Example: My Point...And I Do Have One

Apostrophe ' Example: Schindler's List

Quotation Marks "" Example: The Book of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks: A Celebration of Creative Punctuation

Slash / Example: Black Girl/White Girl

Comma , Example: I, Claudius

message 5: by Sandy (last edited Dec 09, 2012 10:28AM) (new)

20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter - Deedee's Task: All in the Family
Help Thread
In my family, the boys and the girls have different favorite genres that they read. To share these genres with the members here I’ve designed this task. Consider the members of what you consider to be your family. If a majority are male, pick “Boy” Option; if a majority are female, pick “Girl” Option; if there are an equal number of boys and girls in your family, pick “Equal Boy and Girl”. (The moderators will take your word for whichever option you choose, no need to go into justifications.)

Option “Boy”:
1. Read a book that has genre “History > World War II” on the first page. (80% of what my husband reads (outside of work)!)
Or:
2. Read a book that has been translated from its original language into the language you are reading (ex. The Iliad) (I have a multi-lingual son :0) who knows, one day he might be the “translator”). REQUIRED: Please state the original language that the book was written in.

Option “Girl” (I’ve picked my daughters’ favorite genres):
1. Read a book that has genre “Romance > Paranormal Romance” on the book's main page.
Or:
2. Read a book that has tje genre “Humor” or “Humor>Comedy” on the book's main page.

And, since everyone in my family loves BBC’s show “Doctor Who”, if the number of boys and girls in your family is equal,
Option “Equal Boy and Girl:”

Read a book with genre “Science Fiction > Time Travel” on the first page.

20.8 - It's My Birthday! - Lahni's Task: Double Trouble
Help Thread
This year a major event took place in our family. I had not one baby but two! TWINS!! This task is centered around my new babies. Please choose to read ONE book from the following options and complete any required elements. REQUIRED: State the option you chose in your post.

1. Fraternal - My twins came from 2 separate eggs and have a completely different genetic make up from one another. In other words, they look different! Read a book with a 2 word title, but the words in the title MUST be different. All words in the title count but subtitles DO NOT count. (For example both Madame Tussaud: A Novel of the French Revolution and The Lantern would count but Absalom, Absalom! would not.)

2. Girls - My twins are both girls. Read a book that has a picture of at least TWO different girls on the cover. They can be old or young (or both) and it doesn't need to show them from head to toe. Just heads or just bodies are fine as long as at a glance it is obviously 2 (or more) girls. These covers would work: Shanghai Girls by Lisa See, Half Broke Horses by Jeannette Walls, Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. Dixie Divas by Virginia Brown

REQUIRED: Include the cover in your post.

3. Names - My girls' names begin with the letters R and S. Read a book by an author whose first OR last name begins with an R or an S. Middle initials DO NOT count. (For example: Jonathan Shepard would count but Linda Sue Park would not.)

4. Siblings - Being twins, my girls have a built in sibling. But they are lucky and have other siblings as well. In fact they are children number 6 and 7 for my husband and I!! Read a book that has a 6 OR a 7 in the total number of pages.

For the page number option, this refers to the actual number 6 or 7 in the number of pages, not to the sum of the digits in the page number. A book with 256 or 371 pages would work, but a book with 312 or 313 pages would not. Required: State the number of pages in your post. Readers of alternative formats (ebooks, audiobooks, and large print books) must link to the mass market paperback or other edition used to establish number of pages. See Book Formats and Page Numbers Explained in Rules of the Challenge .

5. Summer - Seeing as how this is the "It's My Birthday" task, it seems appropriate to include my babies' birthday as well. They were born this summer in July. So to celebrate, read any book you think makes for good summer reading. REQUIRED: When you post, tell us why you would read that book in the summer.

20.9 - Moderators' Pet - Carly's Task: Screen Sisters
Help Thread
My friend Jill Renee, who also plays in the SRC, and I have a "ladyship," which is the term that we invented for the female equivalent of a "bromance." I had trouble thinking up my idea, so Jill helped me out. She and I love some of the same TV shows and my task is based off of those.

Read one book from the following options. REQUIRED: In your post, state which option you chose.

Option 1: "Bones" -- "Bones" is about Dr. Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist, who helps the FBI solve murders. The show is based off of a series of books written by Kathy Reichs. For this option, you can read any of the books in the Temperance Brennan series or you can read a book, fiction or non-fiction, that deals with anthropology. OR, since archaeology is often considered a branch of anthropology, you can read a book about archaeology or featuring an archaeologist. REQUIRED: If the connection is not clear in the book's description, please explain how your choice fits the task when you post.

Option 2: "Castle" -- "Castle" is about the famous author Richard Castle who gets to follow the NYPD around to get inspiration for his novels, and in doing so helps solve cases. Since the show is about a fictional author, the people running the show have started releasing actual books that Castle would have written under the pen name of Richard Castle. For this option, you can either read a book written by "Richard Castle" or a book with "Mystery>Cozy Mystery" listed as a genre on its main page (since the show is pretty silly sometimes).

Option 3: "Community" -- "Community" is a sitcom about seven very different students and their misadventures at their very dysfunctional community college. In honor of one of our favorite episodes, "Remedial Chaos Theory" where the characters roll a dice Abed thinks leads them into experiencing six different realities, read a book with the genre "alternate history" listed on its main page. OR you can read a book that takes place in a school. REQUIRED: If the connection is not clear in the book's description, please explain how your choice fits the task when you post.

Option 4: "Firefly" -- "Firefly" is about a renegade crew aboard a small spacecraft trying to survive as they travel the unknown parts of the galaxy and evade warring factions as well as authority agents out to get them. Basically its a western that takes place in outer space. It's awesome. In honor of Jayne's hat, read a book with a red, yellow or orange cover. Or you can read a book that has Science Fiction listed as a genre on the book's home page.

REQUIRED: If using the cover option, you must include the cover in your post.

Option 5: "Scandal" -- "Scandal" is about Olivia Pope, who use to work for the President of the United States, but now is a professional "fixer." There is a ton of political intrigue and steamy romance to keep you on the edge of your seat wanting more. In honor of Olivia Pope, read a book with a strong female character, or read a book from the list, Political Thrillers, in honor of fictional President Fitzgerald Grant. REQUIRED: If using the "strong female character" option, please explain why she is a strong female character.

20.10 - Group Reads
Read one of the Group Reads selections, and make at least one post in the discussion thread for the book.

For the category "First Book in a Mystery Series by a Female Author" - Maisie Dobbs.
For the category "Books About Books" - Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore
For the category "RITA Award Winners" - The Lost Recipe for Happiness

message 6: by Sandy (last edited Dec 12, 2012 03:35AM) (new)

25.1 - Laurie ME's Task - A Tribute to the Women in my Life
Help Thread
Please choose 2 different options. REQUIRED: State which options you chose, and, in any case where the connection is not obvious from the GR description, please explain the connection.

1. My mother’s mother, Dorothy: For Grammy Dot, family was the center of her life, but she also was a college graduate and worked in a bakery when I was a young child. She wrote poetry and had a couple of her pieces published.

In honor of her: please choose a book of poetry (with poetry listed in its main page) or a book set in or around a bakery or the main characters are involved in baking.

2. My father’s mother, Marion: For Gram Marion or Gram the Great, she was a card playing scamp, possibly because she taught first grade for 37 years. Whenever I visited her on Vinalhaven, we’d spend hours playing cribbage or Yahtzee; or watch our beloved Boston Red Sox; or read together.

In honor of this grandmother: please choose a book where a game is important, be it poker, or baseball or whatever; or a book where the main character is a teacher or the book is set in a school.

3. My mother, Jean: She’s my best friend and role model. She was a stay at home mom until my sisters and I were in school then she started working as a state worker. When she retired she was the manager of the Census Data Center and had her master’s degree in public administration.

To honor my mom: please choose a nonfiction book about politics or government or a book where the main character is involved in politics or as a government worker (state or federal level).

4. My middle sister: Jill: She is two years younger than me and my constant companion during our younger years. She now works as a medical lab technician and is the mother of two remarkable young ladies. And, like all of the other women in my life she loves to read.

In honor of this sister: please choose a book set in a hospital or a book that has romance listed as a genre on its main page.

5. My youngest sister: Diana: She is four years younger than me. She’s a beautician and owns her own hair salon which is quite successful. I was her very willing guinea pig during her learning years. I envy her business sense and success.

In her honor: please read a book listed as fantasy or science fiction as a genre on its main page or one that involves someone in the field of hair dressing or as a beautician or a barber.

6. Me, Laurie: I haven’t done too badly either. I also graduated from college even though I decided to stay working as a toll collector then as a dispatcher.

So, to honor me: please read a book with mystery listed as a genre on its main page or one that involves a first responder of some sort, fire, police or rescue.

25.2 - Stacie MI’s Task - Chain of Names
Help Thread

For this task, you will read two books.

For your first book, read any book you choose.

For your second book, read a book whose author has a first name in common with a main character from your first book. The name must match exactly; no variations allowed!

Examples: If I read Pride and Prejudice, whose main character is named Elizabeth, for my first book, I could read The Lonely Hearts Club by Elizabeth Eulberg for my second book. Or, if I read These Is My Words, whose main character is named Sarah, I could also read The Time It Snowed in Puerto Rico by Sarah McCoy.

Required: Please state the name of the main character from your first book when you post.

25.3 - Coralie's Task - Let's be Different
Help Thread
2013 will be the first year since 1987 that all the digits in the year are different.

OPTION 1:
Read two books.

Book A - Read a book with every letter (or character) in the title different. For example, Mockingjay, 1Q84, or One Day.

Book B - Read a book with at least four words in the title (or title and sub-title combined) where every word has a different number of letters. For example A Game of Thrones
1,4,2,7 letters, or To Kill a Mockingbird 2,4,1,11 letters.

OPTION 2: Read one book that meets both of the above requirements. For example, A Time for Us. Every letter in title different, letter count 1, 4, 3, 2.

For this option, you must make the same choice (title only or title/subtitle combined) for each of the criteria.

For both options, hyphenated words count as one word. Numerals such as 136 would count as one word (in this case with 3 letters). REQUIRED: Include the letter count in your post, as in the examples above.

25.4 - Lois's Task - Local Flavor
Help Thread
Read two books with local flavor from two different options below. For this task, “local” is where you live: your city, your state/province/region, whatever defines where you live. In most cases, it should be more specific than a country, unless you live in a really small country.

Option A. Read a book by a local author. The author may have spent significant time in your area and be considered a local author, even if not currently living there.

Option B. Read a book that takes place in your local area or, if non-fiction, is about some aspect of your local area.

Option C. Read a biography or autobiography of a local person. As in Option A, if the person has significant roots in your area but is not currently living there, that’s still fine.

REQUIRED:For all options, please state where you live and how your choices are local.

25.5 - Keltie Lee's Task - CLUE
Help Thread
In the wintertime one of my favourite things to do is play board games with my family, and Clue has always been my favourite. Since my family hates playing Clue with me, I thought we could all play together. For this task pick two different characters and read a book for each one.

1. Miss Scarlet- A woman wearing a red dress on the cover or a book with the genre romance on its main page.

2. Mrs. White-Main character is a service person in a house (eg. Maid, Personal Chef, Nanny) or read a book where the title is printed in white ink on the cover

3. Col. Mustard- Man with a mustache on the cover or a book with its genre listed as war, including specific wars such as Civil War, WWII, etc.

4. Prof. Plum- Book with a picture of any kind of fruit on the cover or one that takes place in a school or college

5. Mr. Green- has a picture of some form of currency or a symbol meaning currency ($) on the cover or read a book categorized as mystery

6. Mrs. Peacock- has a bird (real or fictional) on the cover or the title contains a word from the http://www.color-ize.com/color-list.php as long as it is not one of the typical colour names, (in this case red, orange, yellow, pink, blue, green, purple, brown, grey, black or white) Acceptable color names can be plural or possessive, but with no other variation.
NOTE: A title that contains one of the "typical color names," in any variation, will not work for this option, even if it contains an acceptable color name.

message 7: by Sandy (last edited Dec 06, 2012 10:05AM) (new)

25.6 - Nick KY’s Task: Fire and Ice
Help Thread
In some mythologies, worldwide, but especially in northern Europe, the meeting of Fire and Ice is the primal, violent, essential, and magical! action for creative endeavors of any kind. The Vermillion Bird of Summer coming along in Winter, as it does in this Challenge, reminds me of this meeting of Fire and Ice. Read two books, one from each of two different options.

Option 1. Read any book with the word “Fire” in the title or subtitle. It may be a part of a larger word such as “Wildfire” or “Firestarter.”

Option 2. Read a book with any type of fire on the cover, EXCEPT -- do not use stars or the sun.

Option 3. Celebrate the Orange of Fire by reading an Orange Prize winner from any year or a 2012 nominee for the Orange Prize. These listopias may help: Orange Broadband Prize Winners, Orange Prize Longlist 2012. The Award appears to be changing its name next year, so let’s celebrate Orange while we can.

Option 4. Read a nonfiction book which deals with Hockey (the Ice kind), or a fiction book in which a main character plays Hockey.

Option 5. Read a book with ice or snow on the cover.

Option 6. Ice and Ire – I’m not sure if these island countries are the meeting place of Fire and Ice or not, but there is something magical about them. Read any book set in either Iceland or Ireland.

REQUIRED: State which Options you choose. For Options 2 and 5 give a link to the cover. Have a magical Winter!

25.7 - Stesse's Task - Read My Nightstand!
Help Thread
I had a bad cold the weekend after I finished the Fall challenge (not related, I swear!). So in between epic naps and blearily attempting to read catalogues (you know it is a bad one when you don’t have the concentration to read catalogues!), I noticed that my nightstand says a lot about me. So for this task, you will “read” my nightstand.

Pick 2 of the following options and read a book for each. You cannot do the same one twice. REQUIRED: State which options you chose in your post.

A. On the top of the precariously leaning pile of books is my newest, Young House Love: 243 Ways to Paint, Craft, Update & Show Your Home Some Love. I love their blog (http://www.younghouselove.com/ in case you’re interested) so I had to buy their book. Read a book written by a blogger. Many authors have blogs, but the essence of this task is to read a book written by someone who started as a blogger and then wrote a book. Some of my favorites include: Jen Lancaster, The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook, Jen of People I Want to Punch in the Throat,
Confessions of a Scary Mommy: An Honest and Irreverent Look at Motherhood: The Good, The Bad, and the Scary, Jenny Lawson(a/k/a The Blogess).

REQUIRED: Include a link to the blog in your post.

B. Just under that home decorating tome lies my journal, Q and A a Day: 5-Year Journal. I’m notoriously bad about starting journals and then abandoning them, but this one has kept my attention for a whole year now. The format of this book is interesting in that for each day of the year, you answer one question. Over 5 years, it’ll be interesting to go back and see how I responded and where my mind was! One question was, “On a scale of one to ten, how happy are you?” so please read a book with a happy ending. By happy, I mean something like chick lit or romance where the girl gets the guy in the end, or a heartwarming animal story (where the dog doesn’t die in the end), etc. Something like The Book of Awesome: Snow Days, Bakery Air, Finding Money in Your Pocket, and OtherSimple, Brilliant Things

For ideas, check out some of the lists here. Not all of these lists will work, and, as always, not every book on a list will work, but this may help you get you started.

C. At the very bottom of the pile sits Enamored With Place: As Woman + As Architect which was a gift from my mother earlier this year. I’m slowly going through it but I admit I got sidetracked by a bunch of other books. Read a book that you’ve been meaning to read all year (2012) but haven’t gotten around to it, or haven’t found a task to fit it.

D. There’s a copy of What to Expect When You're Expecting in the pile too. Read a non-fiction book about something you’re expecting to do next year – maybe retire (What Color Is Your Parachute? for Retirement: Practical Planning for Money, Health, and Happiness), take a vacation (read up on the history of your destination) or remodel your house (Building a Home with My Husband: A Journey Through the Renovation of Love)?
REQUIRED: State in your post what you're expecting to do next year.

E. Finally, there’s a lot of cold related paraphernalia on that cluttered little nightstand: tissue box, chapstick, water, tea cups, chicken soup bowls, vitamin C… Read a book with one of the following words in the title or subtitle: “tissue,” “tea,” “chicken soup,” or “orange juice.” In the case of “chicken soup” and “orange juice,” BOTH words must be in the title, such as, Squeezed: What You Don't Know About Orange Juice or (of course) Chicken Soup for the Soul

And may 2013 bring you good health and a tidy nightstand!

25.8 - ♥Robin♥'s Task: Spreading the Love
Help Thread
Is "LOVE" the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words February 14th or Valentine's Day? It's the first thing I think of. This is the one day of the year when most people will openly show their affection to those they love or care about by sending flowers,cards,candy or other goodies. Personally, I like to spread/share the love all year long but will settle for the next 3 months ☺ Have fun, enjoy and spread the love!!!!

Read 1 book from 2 different options.

REQUIRED: Please state the 2 options you chose when you post.

REQUIRED: If using cover options, please include the book’s cover in your post.

All standard SRC book guidelines apply.

Option 1: Read a book by an author whose initials can be found in any order in "VALENTINE'S DAY".
Author's middle name/initial may be omitted. Initials can be found in any order.

Option 2: Read a book that's cover is primarily Red,Pink or White.

Option 3:Read a book with 'Romance' listed as a genre on its GR home page.

Option 4: Read a book where the word "LOVE" is used in the title or subtitle. Will ONLY accept these variations of the word "LOVE": loves, love's, loved, and loving.

Option 5: Read a book with heart(s) or flower(s) on the cover.

Option 6: Just because I LOVE YOU...Read any book of your choice that meets SRC's standard/general guidelines ☺

25.9 - JennRenee's Task - A Christmas Scavenger Hunt
Help Thread
Two of my favorite things to do are scavenger hunts and reading challenges. Since Christmas is my favorite holiday of the year, I thought it might be fun to combine the two with Christmas and do a Christmas book scavenger hunt for this task.

Choose TWO options and read ONE book for each OR read ONE book that satisfies TWO options like The Christmas Wish by Richard Siddoway (B and C), Dark Flame (The Immortals, #4) by Alyson Noel (A and B), The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks (A and C).

Option A: Pick a book with any of these as author’s first, Middle, or last name: Noel, Joy, Faith, Hope, Carol, Holly, Nicholas or Nick, Rudolph, Joseph, Mary, King, or Jesus

Option B: Pick a book with any of these Christmas objects on the cover: Christmas tree, snow (snowflake, snowman acceptable), pine cone, wreath, angel (any type), Sleigh, Christmas ornament, presents, Santa Claus, reindeer, star, candy cane, mistletoe or candle.

Option C: Pick a book with any of the following words in the title: red, green, believe, wish, merry, shepherd, miracle, nativity, memories, love, family, song or sing, happy, holidays, peace, holy, night, or light. Plurals and possessives of these words may be used.

message 8: by Sandy (last edited Dec 12, 2012 03:44AM) (new)

25.10 - Chaitra's Task - Thank You Neil Gaiman!
Help Thread
I had a miserable fall challenge. I hated most of my highly anticipated books and I hated my random reads as well. But, my one bright reading spot came from the works of Neil Gaiman - I read nine books of his, and rated five of them five stars! This is one happy fan's thank you to her favorite author of Fall.

First the rules: Read two books, each from a separate option. If the connection from task to book isn't obvious from GoodReads, mention the connection in the post. If you are choosing a cover option, the cover should be posted. If you are choosing a book from a Listopia list, make sure that the book has at least one vote other than yours.

1. American Gods. Old gods and new gods battle it out in roadside attractions of the US. Many gods die.

American Gods won the Hugo and Nebula Awards in 2002/2003. In honor of that, read a book that has won either a Hugo or a Nebula. These lists may help: Hugo Winners, Nebula Winners. Required: Mention the award and the year the book won.

2. Anansi Boys. Sons of a god fight each other. Then they band up and fight other people (and gods). There's a lot of singing.

Read a book that has the genre "Mythology" on its main page. Or, read a book with a singer as the main character.

3. Smoke and Mirrors. Many monsters get their own little story. Grendel gets two, because he's boss.

Read a book with smoke or mirror(s) on the cover. Required: Post the cover.

4. Stardust. What's a boy meets girl story without a few fatal (to other people, of course) complications?

This is my guilty pleasure book. I'm the tough-chick-hate-romance kind, but this book sadly reduces me to mush. So in honor of that, re-read your guilty pleasure book. Required: Mention why you're guilty for liking it.

5. Good Omens: The Nice & Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. Apocalypse must be averted by a sarcastic Bentley driving demon and a neurotic bookstore owning angel. But first, they must find the Antichrist.

Read a book from this list of The Funniest Novels of All Time. Required: Mention the page and the number your book appears on.

6. The Ocean at the End of the Lane. Creepy haunted house (farm? duck pond?) and all sorts of icky dark creatures. Hopefully.

Ocean is my most anticipated book for the next year! Read a book from an author with an upcoming 2013 book you're anticipating. Required: Mention the upcoming book. The book must have a publishing date (or month) after Feb 28, and to make it easy on the moderators, the book and its expected publication date must appear on Goodreads.

For example, you can read a book by Lauren Oliver if you're anticipating Requiem, which has the publication date of Mar 5, 2013. On the other hand, a book by Alan Bradley will not work, because Speaking from Among the Bones has a release date of Feb 5, 2013 which is within the winter challenge.

25.11 - Vi's Task - Time to Explore!
Help Thread
New Year time is usually a time for discovery for me and my friends. We used to hit the libraries in search of new authors and we've discovered quite a few authors that we weren't supposed to ;) For this task, we will use GR's two main tools to find new books. Re-reads are not permitted for this task.
NOTE: Since both "Recommendations" and "Readers Also Enjoyed" may change, make a note of the date on which you developed your chain of books and include that in your post if the chain is no longer valid when you post your completed task.

Book 1: GR Recommendation

On the GR Title Bar, select Recommendations. This will take you to the GR's recommendations page where they generate recommendations based on your shelves or genre. Choose a shelf/genre based on your preference and from the recommendations, choose any book.

Book 2: From the Book's Home Page.

Roll a die from random.org page. Note the number rolled.

We will base this option on the book read for Book 1. Go to the book page for the book read for Book 1. On the right-hand side of the page, from the "Readings Also Enjoyed Similar Books" section, choose a book from any page of the list. (Note that there are typically several pages of books listed - you can tell how many by the dots at the top of the list.) Do this the number of times you've got from the die roll and select a book from the final list.

For example, let's assume that I've read Grimspace by Ann Aguirrefor Book 1 and I've rolled number 3 on the die. So for this book, I would start by choosing a book from the "Readers Also Enjoyed" list for Grimspace.

If I chose Touched by an Alien,(#1), I would click on that title to go to its main page and look at the "Readers Also Enjoyed" list for that book. This time, I chose Song of Scarabaeus,(#2), so I go to that book's main page and once again look at the "Readers Also Enjoyed" list. I can now choose any book from the "Readers Also Enjoyed" list for Song of Scarabaeus. I could now read Enemy Within from that list.(#3)

Note that you cannot use the same book twice when going to the nth book but you can use another book in the same series if it appears on one of the "Readers Also Enjoyed" lists. For instance, in the above example, I can use Grimspace only once but I did find Killbox in another of the lists. Also, you have to read the exact book; if the book happens to be in a series, you cannot read any other book in the series.

Required: Please state the die roll and the chain of books used to arrive at Book 2.

25.12 - Mstan's Task - I ♥ the Goodreads on SRC
Help Thread
Read two books that are new to you by browsing the SRC threads. These books should have received some form of praise by another SRC member, e.g. through a comment posted on an SRC group-read thread, a book posted in one of the 'Best of (Season) Challenge' folders, etc.

REQUIRED:Please provide the link to the exact page where the book is mentioned, as well as the post number (e.g. 'post 134') where it is mentioned. To add a link to the specific post, click on the time/date stamp on the right hand side of the gray bar at the top of the message, and copy and paste the information into your post. Not that GR has any bugs.......but just in case, please indicate the name of the thread and the post number in the body of your post as well.

The comments associated with the books, or the context in which they are mentioned must be positive. The specific books must be mentioned, not just the name of a series or an author.

25.13 - Sandy/Kristi's Task - Author Influences
Help Thread
Read TWO books:

Book A: Find an author that lists his or her influences on their GRs home page, website, blog, or in an interview and read one of their books. Stephen King, Charles Dickens, Susan Wiggs, and Haruki Murakami are all examples of authors with influences listed on their GRs home page. Dan Brown has listed his in this interview.

AND

Book B: Read a book by one of the Book A author's influences. Stephen King, for example, lists Robert Bloch, Ray Bradbury, William Golding, Shirley Jackson, and H.P. Lovecraftas influences. So, if I read a book by Stephen King for book A, I could read a book by any of these authors for book B.

Required: Provide a link to the author's influences.

25.14 - Kate S's Task - New Year, New Authors!
Help Thread
I love finding new authors and Goodreads offers a variety of tools to help readers find authors we are more likely to enjoy than just plucking books off the shelf at our local library or bookstore. So for this task we are going to use of these tools and discover (or rediscover) authors we may enjoy. Preferred: Since the goal of this task is to help you find new authors, it is preferred that you try out authors who are new to you.

First pick a favorite author. Go to their author page here on Goodreads. Scroll down to under their bio and click on the “similar authors” link (this is right under the grey box reading Author’s Books all the way on the right). Similar author

Now pick two authors off the list of “similar authors” and read a book by each of them.

Both authors should come from the same original author’s “similar to” list. If you can’t find two authors you want to use off your first choice favorite author, try another favorite author.
REQUIRED: Include a link to the original author's GR page in your post.

message 9: by Sandy (last edited Nov 26, 2012 01:32PM) (new)

30.1. Ms. Anderson's Task - Itoushii Anime no Tame ni
Help Thread
When I saw that the Four Beast Gods had won for the yearly extra theme, I was super-excited. When I saw that we were going to start with the Vermillion Bird, I knew EXACTLY what my task would be.

The first anime I ever picked for myself (and my very favorite of all time) is Fushigi Yuugi, which roughly translates to "The Mysterious Play." It's set in Ancient China and focuses on girls who become priestesses to the Four Beast Gods (primarily Suzaku and Seiryu, the Vermillion Bird and Azure Dragon). For this task, roll two die. Dice Roller If you get doubles, roll until you don't.

1. The series was created by Yuu Watase and originally published as a serial in one of the major magazines in Japan. She is fairly prolific--she has several series with over 50 chapters each! Preferred: Read a graphic novel by Yuu Watase. If you can't find one in your local library, message me and I may be able to help. Alternatively, you may read a book with the genre "Sequential Art>Manga" listed on the book's main page.

2. In Fushigi Yuugi there is a book known as The Universe of the Four Gods which begins, "Herein contains the tale of a young lady and her quest to gather the Seven Constellations of Suzaku together. And if you, the esteemed reader, should read to the story's end, the spell contained within this book shall bestow upon you the powers of the heroine, and grant you your wish. For indeed the moment the page is turned, the story will become reality." What would you wish for? Read a book related to your wish. Required: state the connection when you post.

3. The series itself begins when two best friends, Miaka and Yui, find the Universe of the Four Gods and (of course) read it. They find themselves surrounded by a strange light and, when the light fades, they discover that they've been transported to Ancient China! Read a book (fiction or non-fiction) either set in or about a known culture prior to 500 AD. Ex. Roman Empire, Qin Dynasty, the Sumerians. These lists may help - Ancient Listopias. As always, keep in mind that just because a book appears on one of these lists, doesn't guarantee that it will work for the task.

The culture must be known to exist through artifacts, references from other cultures, or academic consensus to count. A book speculating about the existence of a culture will not work for this task.

4. The girls not only find themselves in an unfamiliar world, but they learn that they've also become the main characters of the book. Read a book in which you wouldn't mind being the main character. REQUIRED: Explain why you wouldn't mind being the main character in your chosen book.

5. Miaka and Yui get separated, and Miaka travels to the capital of the Konan Empire to find her best friend. There she meets the emperor, who asks her to become the Priestess of Suzaku. He tells her of a legend stating that a girl from another world will appear to save Konan, and that girl would become the priestess. Read a book that contains one of these words in the title, subtitle, or series title: "Legend," "Prophecy," "Priestess." Plurals will work, but no other variants allowed.

6. In order to summon Suzaku and get her wish, the priestess must gather her Seven Warriors (the "Constellations" mentioned in the Universe of the Four Gods). Each warrior has a special power, and all are charged with protecting the priestess from those who would do her harm. Some of her warriors are excellent soldiers, while others wield magic. Read a book with "Fantasy" listed a genre on its main page.

30.2 Sheila/Kathy G's Task - It's Winter...Or is It?
Help Thread
This season we have decided to divide our task into the northern Hemisphere where it is winter and the southern Hemisphere where it is summer. Please read two books - One from each hemisphere. When posting please state the hemisphere and the option that you chose. REQUIRED: If choosing a book cover option include the bookcover in your post.

Book A - Winter in the Northern Hemisphere

Option 1: Chill Factor- Read a book with a scarf and/or mittens or gloves on the cover to show the colder weather(one mitten or glove will do). REQUIRED: Post your cover.

Option 2: Got your undies on? - Read a book whose author's initials (first and last) appear in the words LONG UNDERWEAR in any order. You may ignore any middle names/initials. Examples: Luanne Rice, Rick Riordan (because there are two R's), Neil Gaiman, and Louisa May Alcott (Using the "L" and the "A.")

Option 3: Toasty Toes by the Fire - Read a book that has a one syllable word in the title that rhymes with TOES - for instance, rose, chose, nose,
throws, blows, clothes, crows, grows etc. (Must be "toes" and not just "toe.")

For words that can be pronounced more than one way depending on usage, the word as it is used in the title of the book must rhyme with "toes." For example, Close The Last Door, Volume 1 would work, but Close to You would not.

This link might prove helpful - Wikirhymer

Book B - Summer in the Southern Hemisphere

Option 1: Vermillion-Since vermillion is a RED HOT color, read any book (hot off the presses) that is first published since Jan. 1st, 2012 to present.

Option 2: Birds of a Feather-When I think of birds, I think of flying in the air and birds fly south in the winter. Read a book that shows "something" flying in the air---- If it is flying or floating on the cover it will do. REQUIRED: Post Cover AND explain what your flying/floating thing is.

Option 3: Some like it Hot! Read a romance or a comedy book. (The movie Some Like it Hot is a comedy!) "Romance" or "comedy" or "humor" must be listed as a genre on the book's main page.

30.3 - Butterflycager's Task - Cookie Exchange
Help Thread
One of my favorite holiday traditions is to get together with some of my friends and have a cookie exchange. Everybody brings a few dozen cookies - some to munch on at the party, and the rest to divide up between us and take home. For this task, please select two different cookies from the list below, and read one book for each. REQUIRED: When posting, please state which options you chose. Happy holidays!

1. Gingerbread Cutouts: read a book with a compound word in the title or subtitle.

2. Italian Spumoni Slices: read a book that is set in Italy.

3. Stained Glass Cookies: read a book with a church or a stained glass window on the cover.

4. Jam Thumbprints: read a book with "Mystery" listed as a genre on its main GR page.

5. Checkerboard Cookies: read a book with "black" or "white" in the title or subtitle. Plurals and possessives are fine, no other variations, please.

6. Lime Meltaways: read a book whose author's initials can be found, in any order, within the words LIME MELTAWAYS. Middle names and initials can be ignored.

30.4 - Cindy AL's Task: Jackpot Spin
Help Thread
This is a really busy time of the year for most of us, so let us take a little break and go for a jackpot spin.

For this task, you will read two books.
Roll one die (spin). Dice Roller

If you roll a 1,2 or 3, you read two books, each with one, two or three words in the title, corresponding to your roll; that is, if you roll 1, both of your books should have a one word title, etc. See additional instructions about subtitles below.

If you roll a 4,5 or 6, congratulations, you have hit the jackpot! Read one book with 4, 5 or 6 words in the title, corresponding to your spin AND for your second book, choose a book with any number of words in the title between one and six.

For all choices, the articles "a", "and" and "the" count as a word. For example, The Rookor The Historianare books with two word titles. Ignore series titles as listed on Goodreads, only the title should be counted. Also, ignore subtitles, only the words before a colon should be counted. For example, Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward, Professor, Tattoo Artist, and Sexual Renegade is a two word title for the purposes of this task and The Historian's Craft: Reflections on the Nature and Uses of History and the Techniques and Methods of Those Who Write It. is a three word title. Enjoy, and Holiday Greetings to everyone!

30.5 - Dlmrose/Cindy F's Task - Author Train!
Help Thread

We did Sassafrass's Title Train in the Fall Challenge, now we are going to do an Author Train version.

You will read 2 books for this task by 2 different authors. The first name of the author of the first book must be found intact in the last name of the author of the second book. You must use first and last names as listed on Goodreads, and middle names cannot be used.

For example: You could read 1 book by
Steven Galloway and a second book by Robert Louis Stevenson
or books by Stephen King and Carol Stephenson
or use Ford Madox Ford and John Stanford

Enjoy!

30.6. Donna Jo's Task - Having the Time of Their Lives
Help Thread
Pick two different options of the following and read one book from each. Be sure to state which two options you picked when posting.

A. Read a book with the genre Biography, Autobiography or Memoir on its GR main page;
B. Read a Time travel book (genre must be listed as time travel on book's main GR page);
C. Read a book with the word "Time" or "Life" in title or subtitle (Series name NOT included)--only exceptions are the words Times or Lives;
D. Using YOUR life, read a book first published during the decade of your birth. For example, I was born in 1942, so I could pick any book first published in 1940-1949. (Give the decade of your birth when posting).

message 10: by Sandy (last edited Dec 12, 2012 04:41AM) (new)

30 point tasks (continued)

30.7 - Sassafras's Task - It's My Anniversary!
Help Thread
December 23rd marks twelve wonderful years of marriage for me and my hubby. Celebrate with me by picking two different options and reading a book for each one.

1. Read a book with 12 letters in the author’s first or last name (NOT the two names combined), the title (subtitles/series names do not count, but the title can contain any number of words that add up to a total of 12 letters) or a book that is #12 in a series (the book must be identified as #12 of a series on the goodreads page)

2. Read a book whose total number of pages add up to 12. examples: 354, 192 or 561 pages. Note: ebooks without a print edition do not count for this option. Required: State the number of pages in your post. Readers of alternative formats (ebooks, audiobooks, and large print books) must link to the mass market paperback or other edition used to establish number of pages.

3. Since we are going to Tortola, British Virgin Islands for our anniversary, read a book that’s set in one of the islands in the Caribbean. *If you need help with the islands of the Caribbean, you can use this list: Islands in the Caribbean.

4. My husband and I met and started dating in college at Xavier University of New Orleans. So, read a book that is set in New Orleans, has a college setting, or has a mostly black or gold cover. Note: if you use the cover option the book must be more than half of the color specified.

5. Read a book with the genre “Romance” listed on the book's main page.

6. Read a book whose original publishing date is either in December (of any year) or in the year 2000.

Required: state option numbers you choose, if you choose a cover option please include the cover in your post, and if it is not obvious from the goodreads description please identify how your book fits the option.

30.8 - Delicious Dee/Christine US's Task - A Reading Tribute to Those We Love
Help Thread
For me, this time of year is really about being with those you love. This holiday season is less about gifts we might receive and more about being with those who love, appreciate and support us.

For this task you will read two books, one book from each option.

Book 1
Read a book that, in some way, reminds you of the person in your family who made the biggest impact on you. For example, my mother is a rock and has the strength of an Army - but you wouldn't be able to tell looking at her since she is a petite little thing.

Thinking of my mother, some examples for books I could read: I could read a book with a strong female character, or by an author with my mother's initials (DC),or with a main character from her state, PA.
REQUIRED: State the person in your family you choose and how this book makes you think of that person.

Book 2
Having support in your life, no matter what is going on, is important. Support your GR friends by reading one of their favorite books (4 or 5 stars) so that you can discuss with them, if they ever need someone to talk to. REQUIRED: Provide a link to your friends shelf when you post.

30.9 - Peebee’s Task - Schoolhouse Rock
Help Thread
When thinking about winter mornings growing up, watching Saturday morning cartoons was a big part of that. And if you grew up when I did (70s and 80s), you can’t forget Schoolhouse Rock – the tunes are still embedded decades later, and come in handy on trivia night or when you forget something basic you think you should know.

These tasks are based on some of my favorite Schoolhouse Rock episodes. Pick any two options from the following list.

Required: Please state the options you selected when you post. If using cover options, please post link to the book’s cover. If your choices aren’t obvious, please explain the connection.

#1: Multiplication Rock: Three is a Magic Number (Video)
This is the pilot episode of the series.

Select a book which is the 3rd book in a series; or part of a completed trilogy (3-book series with no additional books contemplated, such as Hunger Games trilogy, Lord of the Rings trilogy, or Fifty Shades trilogy ; or with 3 or three in the title.

#2: Grammar Rock: Lolly, Lolly, Lolly Get Your Adverbs Here (Video)
I probably learned the most from this one, and it has a pretty catchy tune.

Select a book with an adverb in the title (To make things easy on the mods, only the ones contained on this List of Adverbs -- most, but not all, end in "ly").

#3: Grammar Rock: Conjunction Junction (Video)

Select a book with a conjunction ("and, but & or will get you pretty far") in the title; or with two coauthors (Author 1 and Author 2) only (not three or more or anthologies that are separately written, but a collaboration between the two).

#4: Science Rock: Interplanet Janet (Video)
Select a book with one of the planets named in the title or subtitle (Pluto counts, since it was then on Janet’s list!); or is on the Space Travel list; or is written by an author named Janet (no variations).

#5: America Rock: I’m Just a Bill (Video)
Am I the only one that remembers this every time I see a school bus at a railroad crossing?

Select a book that is set in a capital city (World Capitals) or is written by an author named Bill (William and its common variations like Billy, Will, Willie, etc. also work).

#6: America Rock: Preamble (Video)
This is such a catchy tune: I always have to sing the Preamble to remember it.

Select a book with a word exactly as contained in the Preamble in its title. (Use only words of 5 or more letters from this source: Preamble to the U.S. Constitution. You can use the American English spelling of "defense." No other variations, plurals or possessives allowed.)

message 11: by Sandy (last edited Jan 18, 2013 02:27PM) (new)

50.1 - Jessica PDX's Task: Triple Threat
Help Thread
The 50-pointer is traditionally the SRC's only three-book task, so let's have some fun with triples!

You'll read a total of three books, one for each of the following options (A, B, and C):

Book A - This book must have exactly three instances of the same letter in the title. Subtitles may be included or excluded; series titles are excluded. Accent marks (such as é) may be ignored.
Examples:
Strong Poison (3 O's); Rules of Civility (3 I's)

Book B - This book must have exactly three instances of the same letter in the author's name as it appears on Goodreads. Middle initials and middle names are included if the author's name appears that way on Goodreads. As with Book A, accent marks may be ignored.
Examples: Barbara Kingsolver (3 A's/3 R's); Ian Rankin (3 N's)

Book C - This book must have been first published in a year evenly divisible by three.
Examples: Emma (first published in 1815); For Your Eyes Only(first published in 1959)

Required: Clearly state which book you are using for A, B, and C. For books A and B, identify the letter you are using to meet the task.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.