Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Blocking users?

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chris (new)

Chris Almeida (chrisalmeida) | 11 comments Is there a way to block users from messaging you?
I would like to see a feature to have the option to block people who are not in your friend list from messaging you privately.
I have received a few private messages within the last few weeks from females making propositions not at all related to literature.
The first couple of emails I just ignored and deleted but today I received a third and I thought I should warn you of what's going on. I am sure I am not the only one receiving these.

The user in this case has just opened her account on GR and sent me the following message:

"Hello dear,
I guess you will not surprise to receive my mail? i saw your profile and it sound well.I will like us to exchange good relationship.I am Lilian by name,No kid and never marriage.I will like to hear from your opinion, you can contact me at this email address (xxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com) so that i can send you my pictures and more introduction about myself. Have a good day and waiting to hear from you soonest
u can contact me here
xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com"

As you can see, this is not the type of communication one would like to have on GR. I would appreciate if you could guide me on how to handle this.

Thank you,

Chris

message 2: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3369 comments Edit my profile --> Settings --> Who can send me messages

You can change it so only friends can send you messages.

message 3: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments So then they send you a friend request with the message...

message 4: by Carol (new)

Carol I recieved something simular Chris. I flagged it for the powers that be could decide how to handle it.

message 5: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3369 comments Petra X wrote: "So then they send you a friend request with the message..."

True...

message 6: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Loredan (ellieloredan) | 81 comments I got the same message today and immediately flagged it.

message 7: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Chris wrote: "Is there a way to block users from messaging you?
I would like to see a feature to have the option to block people who are not in your friend list from messaging you privately.
I have received a f..."

Yes, looks like phishing. We've nabbed the accounts that were flagged this morning, but please continue to flag if you see messages like this on the site.

message 8: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Nov 13, 2012 11:35AM) (new)

♡Karlyn P♡ (KarLynP) | 371 comments Yikes. A GR friend of mine posted in a forum about a similar incident of a DM she got today. (She will report it).

CREEPY.

"Hello dear,

Its my wonderful compliment to write to you at this moment after i read through your profile at goodreads.com, I am very interested to make a honest relationship with you.

Please write to me through my email xxxxxxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.com , so that i shall tell you about me and send you my picture.

Thanks yours, Precious."

message 9: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3369 comments very creepy.

message 10: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 532 comments I've only gotten one of these messages before, but I immediately read them in Gollum's voice. Makes it slightly more amusing. Or creepy. I haven't decided which it is yet.

message 11: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
lafon حمزة wrote: "I've only gotten one of these messages before, but I immediately read them in Gollum's voice. Makes it slightly more amusing. Or creepy. I haven't decided which it is yet."

Ha! You just made our flagged item queue so much more fun.

message 12: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 275 comments There's also this thread http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 13: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) | 56 comments Ellie wrote: "I got the same message today and immediately flagged it."

How can it be flagged?

message 14: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 532 comments While viewing the message in your Goodreads inbox, there's a section on the right side of the page that states: "message actions".
Under that there is: "save", "trash", and then "flag". Click that and follow the steps.

message 15: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (ShirleytheKindlereader) | 56 comments I was afraid to even open it. I gave it spam on my email at home.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris Almeida (chrisalmeida) | 11 comments Thank you all for the responses. I have flagged it. I also set my messages to be from friends only which means I might run the risk of getting friend request from people who, once in my FL, can spam me. Now, with that said, is there a way to block users?
I haven't seen a way to do that.

Chris

Elizabeth (Alaska) To block a specific user, go to the bottom of the profile where there is a "block this user" link. It is very very pale and very very hard to see, but it is there.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris Almeida (chrisalmeida) | 11 comments Good to know. :) I will keep that in mind and hope not to have to use it. Thank you!

message 19: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 1712 comments "Precious" sends me spam e mail on a regular, i.e., every other day basis (not GR). I wish we could block it there :)

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth  (techeditor) | 155 comments Carol wrote: "I recieved something simular Chris. I flagged it for the powers that be could decide how to handle it."

That's exactly what you should do.

Elizabeth (Alaska) MissJessie wrote: ""Precious" sends me spam e mail on a regular, i.e., every other day basis (not GR). I wish we could block it there :)"

I don't know whether she has targeted me or not. Gmail has an excellent spam filter.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Block user is way, way, way, way down at very very bottom of a user's page.

If setting your pm's to friends only and you are active in groups, you may want to friend group members that might be helping you with team challenges, leading book discussions, etc. in case they are trying to pm you with updates about things.