Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Randy Ross
This topic is about Randy Ross
II. Publishing & Marketing Tips > Book Marketing: Is Facebook a Waste of Time (and Money)?

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Randy (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments I paid $20 to promote my Facebook Fan page and reached 10,000 people, but many were not U.S. residents, many others didn't list English as their default language.

Click here to read the story

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) I'm sorry to report that I stopped reading after the "I hate to sound racist, but ..." moment. Just because someone's native language is not English is no indicator that they lack interest in your book. My novel was reviewed (in Russian) on a Russian fan site related to the subject matter. The reviewer was clearly able to read the book in English, since that's the only language in which it was published. I had to use BabelFish (or whatever they're calling it these days) to translate the Russian so that I could get an idea of what was said.

In any event, I concur that FB's fan pages are "broken on purpose" as a result of their EdgeRank algorithm so that they can try to force even small businesses to ante up and pay their investors -- on a site that is already monetized by ads.

I just think it's kind of small-minded to presume that someone whose native language is something other than English is not part of your book's potential audience.

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 2073 comments I have 81 followers on my Facebook Fanpage and although $20 does seem cheap to get more followers I dont think id ever give Facebook my money..to me they have a mediocre service as it is.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Williamson (suteko) | 140 comments Why are you paying for it is what I want to know. Join groups and meet readers and writers is my goal. I refuse to pay for advertising.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Lisa wrote: "Why are you paying for it is what I want to know. Join groups and meet readers and writers is my goal. I refuse to pay for advertising."

There are advantages and disadvantages to both pages and groups. Groups are not Google-searchable. They have a different purpose, but the Venn diagram with pages does exist. I paid for a couple of ads early on with my page, and what irks me about the new system is that FB expects me to pay *again* to try to ensure that the people who joined as a result of that effort will be guaranteed to see the posts.

Here's the thing. I read this article: http://www.jonloomer.com/2012/10/18/y... just the other day, and it makes a lot of sense. I have, as a result, decided to take a different approach to the issue. I may decide on small promotions for important matters (like a major announcement/book release), but the rest of the time I'm letting the chips fall where they may.

message 6: by Randy (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Lisa wrote: "Why are you paying for it is what I want to know. Join groups and meet readers and writers is my goal. I refuse to pay for advertising."

Hi Lisa: I didn't pay for advertising. With a Facebook Fan page, you now have to pay to reach all your Fans. When you pay to reach your fans, Facebook claims it will forward you post to your friends or your Fans.

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Williamson (suteko) | 140 comments Might explain why I don't have a lot of movement on the fan page. But then I have a lot on the personal page...

message 8: by Randy (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Lisa wrote: "Might explain why I don't have a lot of movement on the fan page. But then I have a lot on the personal page..."

Lisa: I read that Facebook will soon charge you to reach all your the friends on your personal page as well. That's the problem with Social Media sites: you spend time and effort to connect with people, but the site "owns" all your connections and can change the rules to suit them, not you. If you have, say, a blog or a newsletter, you "own" the names and emails for people who subscribe.

message 9: by Randy (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Sharon wrote: "I'm sorry to report that I stopped reading after the "I hate to sound racist, but ..." moment. Just because someone's native language is not English is no indicator that they lack interest in your..."

Hi Sharon: Your point is well taken. I'm glad you stopped reading there, the article gets much worse the further down you go ;)

message 10: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 848 comments There ARE countries beyond the US. Not being a native English speaker might not be such a problem, many people read in a second or third language.

I would probably be a bit annoyed too if some random person person I didn't know tried to sell me something via facebook. If I subscribe to a group then I take on board any promotion done within the group but otherwise that is annoying. I doubt I would rant but I wouldn't look at the email and think it was a bit of a cheek to be honest.

Anyone who is a friend or fan would probably consider buying the book anyway.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Williamson (suteko) | 140 comments The rumor abut Facebook charging is just that a rumor. They have on their front page, Free now and always.

message 12: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (fiona64) Lisa wrote: "The rumor abut Facebook charging is just that a rumor. They have on their front page, Free now and always."

No, there is now an option on your personal page to "promote" your posts, with the same charge scheme as on the fan pages. Look carefully in the lower right-hand section of each post you make. You don't have to opt in, but now even your personal friends don't see everything you post.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/03/techn...

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012/...

message 13: by Justin (new)

Justin (JustinBienvenue) | 2073 comments Again, I have a Facebook Fanpage, I get a good source of followers and likes all without paying for ads and whatnot. I mean if your really looking for some serious attention then I can see why someone may pay a bit but I myself am happy with free word of mouth and spreading the word out to groups, strangers and friends all on my own. FB will prolly never charge people, theres over a billion ppl who use it and to charge em? theyd loose so many people.

message 14: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (AndrewLawston) | 227 comments Facebook marketing has been pretty good to me, frankly, in terms of getting my book out to friends and family, and to their friends and family.

If they want to charge for enhanced promotion, well, we might have got very used to Facebook as a free service, but they're not a charity.

Will I pay for promotion via Facebook? Nope. But I can see where it might be useful for others.

message 15: by S.L. (new)

S.L. Lewis (SLLewis) | 5 comments I'm a new author and I have been debating whether to join Facebook or Google+ or both. At the moment I only have my own website and a twitter feed but this is all so new to me. My book has only been available for a couple weeks and I don't really know what I should expect or how to get more people to look at it UNLESS I pay someone like Facebook?

Are Facebook and Google+ musts for new authors?

message 16: by Randy (new)

Randy Ross (rsquared) | 82 comments Facebook isn't charging to have a profile or author page. They are chargingin if you want to reach all your friends or fans. (Right now when you post something, you only reach about 10 percent of your Fans, which may actually be fine because most of your friends and Fans are probably not reading your posts, anyway. (or at least most of mine are not reading my posts.)

message 17: by Dex (last edited Nov 19, 2012 10:09AM) (new)

Dex Kerma (dexkerma) | 16 comments I think Facebook is great tool for people to connect and converse with friends and acquaintances. Which is what is was originally meant to be. But I don't think it's the best tool for new authors to build a following, so I've decided to focus on Twitter instead. Sure, you could counteract that with Facebook ads (if you have the budget) but who does? I'll probably look into adwords when I decide to embark on a pay per click campaign.

V4e Corp by Dex Kerma

message 18: by J.W. (new)

J.W. Nelson (JohnWNelson) | 22 comments Randy wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Might explain why I don't have a lot of movement on the fan page. But then I have a lot on the personal page..."

Lisa: I read that Facebook will soon charge you to reach all your the..."

Thanks for that information. Too bad FB has to play so many games with its participants.