Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

It's All Fun & Games > Not So Secret Santa Book Suggestion Exchange for 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 206) (206 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Lisarenee (last edited Nov 19, 2012 07:26PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments For the second time in our group's history, we've decided to do a Not So Secret Santa book exchange. We originally considered doing a real book exchange, but we worried someone would probably forget to send a book. Also, we didn't want to neglect our overseas members. Postage to another country can sometimes be more than the book originally cost. Yikes! So for this exchange you will get to know 2 people by doing the exchange, your not so secret Santa and the person you are the not so secret Santa to. You will suggest a book to someone and someone else will suggest one to you.

How do I join?
1. Sign up by November 25th by filling out our mini questionnaire.
2. Based on results we will try to arrange people according to what they like and/or wish to read.
3. We will post names in this topic and see what everyone suggests.
- List your Not So Secret Santa suggestions here by December 20th so we can see what everyone recommends.
- Try to recommend three different books so the recipient can make a choice from what you recommend.
- On December 25th let us know what book each of you has picked, if multiple people are reading the same book (at least 2), we may set up buddy reads or discussion threads depending on which you prefer (if participants wish to participate in one).
4. Get suggestions up by December 20th.
5. Make your selection by December 25th.
6. Try to read the book by January 31st.

Questionnaire:

1. What type of books do you mostly read?
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you?
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?
5. What is your age range:
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year?
7. Are you Male or Female?
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended?
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you?

Things to find out about the person you'll be recommending a book to:

1)For the type of book they're requesting is there anything thing they do not wish to read? For example, Do they not like sad endings? Do they not like the f-bomb being dropped every 2 seconds?

2)What is their reading comfort zone? How many pages would they like to stay within?

3)Find out what books they've read and make sure what you suggest is not one of them. As not all books a person has read are listed on their book list double check with them.

message 2: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi | 1520 comments Ezinwanyi's Questionnaire:

PNR/UF and Romance

2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa?
Take a look at my TBR pile and choose

If they want to...

4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to?
Yes, if I have read the book

(30+)

Female

8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new?
Either

Yes

Yes

message 3: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments Questionnaire:

My biggest genres are dystopian fiction, thriller, and horror. I also really like reading YA.

Honestly I am kind of craving a good zombie book, so I would LOVE one of those. Or a really original dystopian that isn't the typical "it was all a conspiracy" type ending.

That would be great!

Absolutely!

A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.

Usually somewhere between 50 and 70

Female

I wouldn't mind purchasing new, as long as it's available from B&N, I don't buy from Amazon.

Most definitely

Sure, I always like book discussions.

message 4: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 1945 comments This looks like fun and I am going to give it a try. I haven't been a big participant here lately and even though it's months away, one of my 2013 resolutions is to be more active with the Nothing but Reading Challenges group because there is so much here!

1. What type of books do you mostly read? I read anything and everything. It's easier to say that I am not a huge fan of historical fiction nor am I a fan of the classics.

2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? Anything that in their mind is a 5-star rating or one of those books that you must tell someone else about.

3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? We could do that!

4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Absolutely! Although I will admit that sometimes I forget character names :)

A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.

6. On average how many books do you read in a year? 150+

7. Are you Male or Female? Female

8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? Preferably something from the library although I do have a pretty extensive list of books I owned and haven't read.

9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? Yes. I do travel quite a bit for my job and I don't always have reliable internet.

10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? Yes. See above.

message 5: by Nairabell (last edited Nov 14, 2012 04:31AM) (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
I prefer books with a paranormal angle, whether they are young adult or adult, paranormal romance or urban fantasy. I also enjoy cozy mysteries and dystopians (can't believe I forgot those!) as well as Christmassy books around this time of year.

Preferably something from my TBR. I have way too many neglected unread books

If they'd like to

Yes

A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.

Female

Either

Yes

Yes

message 6: by Sonia, Igor's Evil Twin (new)

Sonia (darktalynn) | 7797 comments Questionnaire:

UF/PNR, YA, Mystery/Thriller, chic-lit, romance

Anything but poetry please

If Secret Santa agrees :o)

Absolutely!

A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.

Around 50 - 70. This year I was aiming for 100 but fell short

Female

Either

Sure thing!

Yes

Sallie(GeorgiaGirl) (Shuga) | 699 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? UF, PNR, romance, mystery
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? any
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? sure
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? yes
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? 150
7. Are you Male or Female? Female
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? Local Library but I do so love to spend hours in a bookstore if only to "look"
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? yes
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? yes

message 8: by Jex (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Questionnaire:

Dystopian/PostApocalyptic/Horror/Paranormal/SciFi
I've been on a big horror kick lately. I'm always up for a really good dystopian novel as well. Or really anything that's not all ooey gooey romance stuff.
If they want to.
Yes if I've read it / can read it with them.
(17 - 29)
We'll say 60ish
Female
Readily available would be preferred, or something not expensive. I've yet to not find something at my library...just may have a wait if it's new. In other-wards, don't let it hinder your suggestion
Yes
Yes

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb Sounds like fun :)

Cozy or soft-boiled mysteries, historical fiction set in the USA

By the end of the year, I'm ready for something fun, light, even Christmas-themed. Something from my TBR list would be great :) (Since I split my TBR list into categories, I'd prefer something from TBR-own or TBR-CCLS [our library system])

I'm not big on analyzing a book -- writing style, symbolism, trying to figure out why this character did that instead of something else -- but I can give it a shot :)

See above

A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+) (plus a LOT lol)

Usually 75-100, but this year has been way above average

female

Prefer library books

See #3

See #3

message 10: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Saylor | 98 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
Fiction
A good 5 star book that I have not yet read
Sure- Never did anything like this before so will give it a try!
Sure - Never did anything like this before so will give it a try!
C) (30+)(40 Years old)
100 - 150
Female
I read on my nook - so anywhere is fine, I will find it.
Yes
Yes

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim  | 0 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?

I probably read young adult books the most, but I like to read all kinds of books.

I am up for anything as long as there isn't a ton of swearing and sex in it.

Yes, I think that would be fun.

Yes

A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.

I am 35.

It used to be 100, but I am around 50 or 60 now.

Female

I am okay with purchasing something new.

Yes

Yes

message 12: by Cathie (last edited Nov 14, 2012 12:26PM) (new)

Cathie (Catitude) | 999 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
Fiction
Fiction, historical fiction, biography, mystery, books with a twist is always good!... or anything from this category that the secret santa thinks is a must read or 5 stars for them
Sure!
Yes
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
100 - 150
Either is good with me
Yes
Yes

message 13: by ~Melissa~ (new)

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments Questionnaire:

1. What type of books do you mostly read? PNR,UF, Mystery/Thriller, Romance
2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? take a look at my TBR, book own or nook own shelves; I'm not a huge fan of historical romances ~ classics can be iffy
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? sure, if they would like to
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? if I have read it
A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
6. On average how many books do you read in a year? somewhere between 100-150
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? doesn't matter
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? yes
10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? yes

message 14: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read? romances
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal romance
3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you? Yes
4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Yes
C) (30+)

6. On average how many books do you read in a year? 250
female
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? either is fine
9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended?yes

10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you?yes

message 15: by Sashana (last edited Nov 19, 2012 09:05PM) (new)

Sashana 1. What type of books do you mostly read? Anything with romance is good be it for adults or teens; human or non human lol. I also like a good urban fantasy here and there. Love dystopia as well

2. What type of book would you like to have suggested by your not so secret Santa? I'll tell you what NOT to suggest: mystery, horror, nonfiction. Stay away from those and I'll be a happy camper. I'm open to any other genre.

3. Would you like the secret Santa to discuss the book with you?Yes

4. Would you be willing to discuss the book with the person you make a book suggestion to? Most def!

(17 - 29)

I usually read around 120 but this year I have read significantly less (around 75).

7. Are you Male or Female? Female!
8. Do you want a book readily available from your local library or would you mind purchasing something new? I don't mind either option.

9. Would you participate in a discussion of the book you recommended? Yes

10. Would you participate in a discussion of the book suggested to you? Yes

message 16: by Mary (last edited Nov 20, 2012 06:18AM) (new)

Mary (Merinwe) | 1043 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
These days it's mostly young adult or urban fantasy, with some science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction, and contemporary books mixed in.

One of your favorite books, perhaps? Or something you read that touched you in some way or meant something to you? I love books like that. Or you can just pick something out you think I'd like.

Absolutely.

Yes!

B) (17 - 29)

My average isn't terribly high, but this year I've read nearly 100 books due to an unfortunate amount of free time.

Female.

I'd like it to be available from my library, but they pretty much have everything, so recommend anything you want.

Yes.

Yes.

message 17: by Diane L (new)

Diane L 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
Mystery, historical fiction, science fiction, classics, nonfiction about science and math.

Cozy mystery, historical fiction or a classic. I don't read paranormal, explicit sex scenes or repeated graphic language.

If he/she has read it, I'd be willing.

Yes.

50+

175-200

Female

Willing to buy.

Yes.

Yes.

message 18: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments 1. What type of books do you mostly read?
Romance

Something “Christmas-ie”.

Sure. If he wants. ☺

Definitely!

C) (30+)

I really wanted to make 300. But, looks like I’m just going a little over 200 this year.

Female

Library would be nice. But, whatever.

Sure.

Sure.

message 19: by Amy J. (new)

Amy J. | 684 comments What type of books do you mostly read?
Paranormal Romance/ Erotica

Something with some heat- Winter's cold.

Sure. but if they don't want too that's okay as well

Yes

C) (30+)

100+

Female

I'd prefer a book I could get for free (library ebook or paperbackswap) but getting books isn't always possible. I don't mind having to purchase a book

Maybe

Probably

message 20: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5032 comments How do I join?
1. Sign up by November 25th by filling out our mini questionnaire.
2. Based on results we will try to arrange people according to what they like and/or wish to read.
3. We will post names in this topic and see what everyone suggests.
- List your Not So Secret Santa suggestions here by December 20th so we can see what everyone recommends.
- Try to recommend three different books so the recipient can make a choice from what you recommend.
- On December 25th let us know what book each of you has picked, if multiple people are reading the same book (at least 2), we may set up buddy reads or discussion threads depending on which you prefer (if participants wish to participate in one).
4. Get suggestions up by December 20th.
5. Make your selection by December 25th.
6. Try to read the book by January 31st.

Questionnaire:

I read a little of everything...but I lvoe romance and historical fiction mostly :)

perhaps a good historical romance or historical mystery

sure..if he/she ahs read it, and really liked it...I wouldn't mind talking about it..after I've read it(of course)!!

sure..if he/she wants to...same as per question 3 :)

A) (12 - 16)
B) (17 - 29)
C) (30+)
D) Would rather not say.
would rather not say..I am young at heart! :)

well this year has been a grand exception...I am not really sure..I never kept track before. I guess anywhere between 50-100.

female

this is a moot point! I mean stick me in a bookshop....honestly! I would buy more books in a heartbeat! :) lol

sure

sure

Things to find out about the person you'll be recommending a book to:

1)For the type of book they're requesting is there anything thing they do not wish to read? For example, Do they not like sad endings? Do they not like the f-bomb being dropped every 2 seconds?

2)What is their reading comfort zone? How many pages would they like to stay within?

3)Find out what books they've read and make sure what you suggest is not one of them. As not all books a person has read are listed on their book list double check with them.

message 21: by Barb (new)

Barb Have assignments been made yet for this and I've missed them somehow? Or am I just being impatient? :)

message 22: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Not yet. I'll try to get to them soon. Haven't had time yet to sift through everything.

message 23: by Barb (new)

Barb That's fine, Lisarenee, I was just afraid I'd missed a post and was holding up the process :)

message 24: by Lisarenee (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Okay I'm going to try to get the pairings up tonight.

message 25: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 08, 2012 08:15PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Sorry I'm so late with this. If I missed anyone let me know. 'Santas' will give book recommendations to the person deemed their recipient. Feel free to post messages to your Santas and recipients to get to know them better.

Santas Recipients
1 Catherine Barb
2 Amy J Lisa Kay
3 Lisa Kay Sallie
4 Evana Catherine
5 Mary Sonia
6 Sahsana Kim L
7 Lisarenee Amy J.
8 Cathie Evana
9 Melissa Ezinwanyi
10 Kim L Jex
11 Barb Cathie
12 Jodi Melissa
13 Jex Stefani
14 Sallie (shuga) Rebecca
15 Sonia Sashana
16 Rebecca Jodi
17 Nairbell Mary
18 Stefani Nairbell
19 Ezinwanyi Lisarenee

message 26: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (Catitude) | 999 comments Question: Do we post book suggestions to our recipients here or do we message them privately? This is sooo cool :-). Thanks for taking the time to put this all together Lisarenee :-)

message 27: by Cathie (new)

Cathie (Catitude) | 999 comments Oops, sorry, just reread the instructions at the top...when all else fails read the instructions, lol. We post here.

message 28: by Jex (last edited Dec 08, 2012 09:17PM) (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Dear Stefani ~

So originally I thought you had read the zombie books I was going to recommend because I was reading the ratings on the shelves wrong (didn't realize it showed my rating as well...) so yay you get a zombie book after all!

1. Genesis by Bernard BeckettGenesis by Bernard Beckett - short book, big story

2. Little Brother by Cory DoctorowLittle Brother by Cory Doctorow - Dystopian in the here and now. A boy and his xbox fight the man.

3. Cell by Stephen KingCell by Stephen King - one of my favorite zombie books of all times! Cell phones fry brains, zombies are telepathic...and smart?

message 29: by Cathie (last edited Dec 08, 2012 09:47PM) (new)

Cathie (Catitude) | 999 comments Hi Evana :-). As your not so secret Santy and in connection with your wish list I'd like to suggest these 3 books for you to chose from:

A Classic

The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald because it's on your to read list :-)

or

Historical Fiction
The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom The Kitchen House

or

Cozy Mystery

Maisie Dobbs Maisie Dobbs (Maisie Dobbs, #1) by Jacqueline Winspear

Happy selecting :-)

message 30: by Barb (new)

Barb Hi Cathie,

I had fun browsing your bookshelves to see what you like and what's on your TBR list :) I was really excited to see some of my all-time favorites on your list, so that's what I'm going to recommend for you:

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan  Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
This will definitely be on my "favorites of 2012" list, it was so much fun! Quirky characters, and who doesn't like reading a book about books?

Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson  Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
I read this last year and I still find myself thinking about the story. Every time Christine falls asleep, she forgets *everything. What's real, and what isn't?

The Help by Kathryn Stockett  The Help by Kathryn Stockett
The four different 'voices,' from four different points of view, make this story come alive.

Can't wait to see which one you choose, and what you think of it when you finish reading :)

message 31: by Cathie (last edited Dec 08, 2012 10:10PM) (new)

Cathie (Catitude) | 999 comments Oh Barb, thank you for 3 wonderful choices! I don't know which to decide...I will really have to put some careful thoughts into this wonderful situation:-) You are awesome!

message 32: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments Hi Nairbell,

I really enjoyed perusing your shelves, I tried to find at least one that is already on your TBR. I hope you like my suggestions!!

The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer - I noticed it on your TBR, and I loved this book. A really fantastic dystopian book.

Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) by MaryJanice Davidson - You said you liked cozies and paranormal, this is a little bit of both with a dash of sarcastic humor. This series is one I've read a few times and plan on reading again.

Renegade (The Elysium Chronicles, #1) by J.A. Souders - This is by far my favorite book of the year. It's a dystopian book and it starts out creepy and each page just gets more and more creepy. I loved, loved, loved it. I read the last half of the book in one sitting because I couldn't put it down.

I look forward to seeing what you choose!

message 33: by Stefani (new)

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 789 comments Jex wrote: "Dear Stefani ~

So originally I thought you had read the zombie books I was going to recommend because I was reading the ratings on the shelves wrong (didn't realize it showed my rating as well......"

Oh wow Jex, these are excellent suggestions! Good thing I have awhile to decide because they all look really awesome.

message 34: by Lisa Kay (last edited Dec 09, 2012 08:59AM) (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments [image error][image error][image error][image error][image error]

Happy Holidays, Sallie! Here are your three recommendations from your bookshelves. Hope you have lots of enjoyable holiday reading.

First, I'm not as far along in The Dresden Files as you are, but I have such a crush on Harry, I thought I would give you permission to go on to the next in the series.

Second, I love the Alpha & Omega books and I notice you haven't read the last one in the series, so posted it.

Last, but definitely not least, I saw you had one of my favorite historical romances recently added to your shelves: The Charm School. Love the heroine in that one, as she grows into her own true beauty.

1. Ghost Story (The Dresden Files, #13) by Jim Butcher Ghost Story, by Jim Butcher

2. Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3) by Patricia Briggs Fair Game, by Patricia Briggs

3. The Charm School (Calhoun Chronicles #1) by Susan Wiggs The Charm School, by Susan Wiggs

message 35: by Jex (new)

Jex (Jexball) | 2228 comments Stefani wrote: "Oh wow Jex, these are excellent suggestions! Good thing I have awhile to decide because they all look really awesome. "

Glad you like them! I think you'd be happy with any one of them based on some of your comments from past group reads :-)

message 36: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 1945 comments Hi Jodi!

I see that you are fairly new to Goodreads so let me first start by saying "Welcome!"

I really enjoyed looking through your read and to-read list. I even found a few I might check out in the future. I thought it was interesting that according to Goodreads our tastes are 84% similar for the books we've both rated.

I will say that it was difficult trying to come up with some options as I am very select in my 5-star ratings. However, I think that I have some very strong 4-star ratings that you might like. So here are your recommendations from your Not So Secret Santa.

1. The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Help by Kathryn Stockett
I have listed to this book on audio and I have read it and each time I have taken away something different. I haven't seen the movie yet because I am afraid it won't live up to my expectation. The way the story is written in four different voices makes this story so real. Each character has such personality; you just get pulled into their story.

2. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn
I saw this on your to-read list. I just finished this a week ago and gave it 4 stars – the more I am thinking about the book, it might just be stars. There are twists and turns throughout that I found it hard to put down.

3. In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1) by Tana French In the Woods by Tana French
Again, this is on your to-read list. I have always been captivated by this series. In fact, I just picked up the 4th one (Broken Harbour) from the library. I read In the Woods a few years ago and found it to be so twisted and dark. Just when you thought you had things figured out, everything seemed to change.

I hope you enjoy my suggestions!

message 37: by Kaitlin (new)

Kaitlin (kait-k) | 451 comments What a cool idea! I missed this discussion until now, but maybe if this works out you can do it at other times of the year too! I'd be up for it :-)

message 38: by Moderators of NBRC, Wheel-a-Thon Master (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 26226 comments Sort of like, "Christmas in July"? Good idea, Kaitlin.

message 39: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Saylor | 98 comments Thank you Rebecca for the wonderful choices! I will let you know which I choose to read.... if not all of them! We do seem to have similar tastes in books!

I am not sure what took me so long to find goodreads, but now that I have I love it! Great way to share and receive ideas for reading!

message 40: by Rebecca NJ (new)

Rebecca NJ (NJReader) | 1945 comments I am looking forward to hearing what you think of the book you select.

message 41: by Jodi (new)

Jodi Saylor | 98 comments Melissa,

Took a long look at your lists, you and I dont read alot of the same types of books, so I was stumped for awhile! I went into this thinking I would just list my three top book for the year, but then realized that you might not enjoy them like I did. So, after some consideration, I think I have found three books that you will enjoy!

1.) Don't Say A Word by Barbara Freethy - All of her books I have read are good. They always have a combo of romance and mystery. Her books are also very reasonable priced for the nook!

2.) Wake - Watersong #1 by Amanda Hocking. I saw where you read other books by this Author but not this. This might be one you will really enjoy.

3.) Don't Breath A Word - by Jennifer McMahon. Her books tend to be mysterious, and have a dark side. Out of all her books this is probable one of my favorites.

Hope you find something her that you wish to read... happy picking and Merry Christmas!

Jodi

message 42: by Lisarenee (last edited Dec 09, 2012 08:42PM) (new)

Lisarenee | 7661 comments Amy J. wrote: "What type of books do you mostly read?
Paranormal Romance/ Erotica

Something with some heat- Winter's cold.

3. ..."

Amy J. Based on your bookshelf and the fact we like the same types of books, here are some of my recommendations:
Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione Dark Awakening (Dark Dynasties #1) by Kendra Leigh Castle Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1) by Cynthia Garner Wicked Road to Hell (League of Guardians, #1) by Juliana Stone Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh
- Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1) by Larissa Ione

- Dark Awakening (Dark Dynasties, #1) by Castle, Kendra Leigh

- Kiss of the Vampire (Warriors of the Rift, #1) by Garner, Cynthia

- Wicked Road to Hell (League of Guardians, #1) by Juliana Stone

- Angels' Blood (Guild Hunter, #1) by Nalini Singh

message 43: by Ezinwanyi (last edited Dec 12, 2012 09:28AM) (new)

Ezinwanyi | 1520 comments Lisarenee wrote: "1. What type of books do you mostly read? romances
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal romance ..."

Lisarenee wrote: "1. What type of books do you mostly read? romances
Urban Fantasy/Paranormal romance"

Merry Christmas Lisarenee
After looking at your TBR list, I looked for books that I had read and enjoyed. Just in case you want to discuss them.
For your presents I would like to recommend:
1) ) Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4) by Darynda Jones by Darynda Jones (UF, latest installment of a series favorite of my goodread friends of mine)

2) Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5) by Jennifer Estepby Jennifer Estep (UF, I actually plan to listen to this one in the next 2 weeks so maybe we can buddy read this one)

3) Blaze of Memory (Psy-Changeling, #7) by Nalini Singh by Nalini Singh (PNR, very engaging series that I plan to get current on reading in 2013)

message 44: by Diane L (new)

Diane L Catherine,

I've been browsing your to-read list tonight. Since you're in the mood for a historical romance or historical mystery, I'd like to recommend:

1. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant by Anita Diamant

2. The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton by Edith Wharton

3. And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1) by Tasha Alexander by Tasha Alexander.

I've read the first two and would be happy to buddy read the third one.

And because I have a tough time with rules. . . How can you pick just three to recommend out of over 8000?? So here is a fourth, not historical but a good story from the many animal books on your shelf.
A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron by W. Bruce Cameron

message 45: by Lisa Kay (new)

Lisa Kay (LisaKayAliceMaria) | 15159 comments Oh, Evana! Love the Lady Emily series. Good call.

message 46: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5032 comments just so you know, Lisa Kay...I did do an actual book exchange in another group here...and it worked out rather well...:) so perhaps next year if you want...we could try it :)

message 47: by Nairabell (last edited Dec 11, 2012 04:17PM) (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments Stefani wrote: "Hi Nairbell,

I really enjoyed perusing your shelves, I tried to find at least one that is already on your TBR. I hope you like my suggestions!!

The Host (The Host, #1) by Stephenie Meyer - I noticed it on you..."

Hi Stefani! Thanks for the picks :) They look awesome so I'll check back on Christmas day with my decision.

message 48: by Nairabell (last edited Dec 11, 2012 04:16PM) (new)

Nairabell | 303 comments Hi Mary!

I've been looking through your shelves and I've picked out some books I think you might enjoy.

1. Her Notorious Viscount (Stoneworth, #1) by Jenna Petersen by Jenna Petersen

You said books that mean something to me? This is the only historical I've ever loved. I'm usually really fussy about them as I get really annoyed if they mess up geography, but this gets everything right and has a great romance as well.

2. Bitten (Women of the Otherworld, #1) by Kelley Armstrong by Kelley Armstrong

This is my fave (and first) urban fantasy. I fell in love with the characters and the world and it started off an addiction to UF. I still adore this and just reread the whole series when the final book 13 was released.

3. Anna Dressed in Blood (Anna, #1) by Kendare Blake by Kendare Blake

This is a great YA that I adored. It's not hugely scary, more creepy with some shudder inducing scenes. It also has a touch of romance. The author sets up Cas's ghost hunting and his unique family really well, and the whole book reminds me a little of the TV show Supernatural (which I also love).

And a couple of extra picks as I took a while to post this - First Grave on the Right is a brilliant UF with a heap of humour and Magic Study is a great follow up to Poison Study :)

Anyway, I hope there's something here you like and Merry Christmas :)

message 49: by ~Melissa~ (last edited Dec 11, 2012 05:59PM) (new)

~Melissa~ | 1397 comments Ezinwanyi wrote: " Ezinwanyi's Questionnaire:

PNR/UF and Romance

Take a look at my T..."

Hi Ezinwanyi
we have pretty similar tastes so hopefully I've found something you would like to read.

1)Here is a sweet story for the Christmas season. I enjoyed it when I read it last year and I'm trying to find time to read book 2 this year.

Sweet Inspiration (Klaus Brothers, #1) by Penny Watson by Penny Watson

2)I've picked the first in a dragon series for you that I thought was hot and promising.

Kiss of Fire (Dragonfire, #1) by Deborah Cooke by Deborah Cooke

3) For my third pick I'm cheating just a little as the first two are new to you series I picked 2 books that are from series that you have already started and should continue:
Love Nalini Singh ~ she is one of my favorite's: you are not very far along in her Psy changling series and the main story keeps getting better Mine to Possess (Psy-Changeling, #4) by Nalini Singh
Lastly, Spider’s Revenge (Elemental Assassin, #5) by Jennifer Estep I really enjoy this series and the characters in it. I'm reading this sometime this month so if you pick it we could discuss it.

Happy picking and Merry Christmas
~Melissa~

message 50: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5032 comments Evana wrote: "Catherine,

I've been browsing your to-read list tonight. Since you're in the mood for a historical romance or historical mystery, I'd like to recommend:

1. The Red Tent by Anita Diamant by Anita..."

thanks Evana...I know...my tbr list is way out of control! well..that's what happens when you put me in a bookshop, or on goodreads! lol I love bending the rules a bit, too! and I love all your choices!

« previous 1 3 4 5