Vecchio Book Club discussion

The Hobbit
This topic is about The Hobbit
crickets

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allen (jarday) | 5 comments This group is quiet. Weren't we supposed to be reading The Hobbit?

Phil (Popvoxmusic) | 58 comments Mod
Yes, we are currently reading The Hobbit. It should show in the "currently reading" section now.
The problem is an annoying little glitch on Goodreads. If you have a book in the "upcoming reads" section, when the scheduled start date arrives, the book drops from the "upcoming reads" section, but is not automatically added to the "currently reading" section. Therefore, I have to manually update the listing, or it looks like our current book has disappeared.

Anyway, thanks for being in the group, and have fun reading The Hobbit!

Brendan Creecy (brendoman) | 44 comments Mod
I am about a fourth of the way through. Welcome Allen!

Allen (jarday) | 5 comments Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I'm still in the first chapter... I'm trying but I've got to tell you: I don't like hobbits. They're a really irritating species.

Phil (Popvoxmusic) | 58 comments Mod
They grow on you.

Allen (jarday) | 5 comments I had to stop reading, waiting for my son to finish his current book so we could read it together. That starts tonight.

why don't you like hobbits?

message 8: by Allen (last edited Dec 07, 2012 11:27AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Allen (jarday) | 5 comments Obviously I'm in the minority in general and especially here... a quarter through the book I find the silliness of it not at all endearing--rather entirely irritating. I've always found their hairy feet off-putting, too. :)

Once my son catches up and we can read/discuss it I'll get through it.

Bilbo is kind of a whiner for a good chunk of the book. I'll give you that. They are also kind of xenophobic, which is off putting.

The one thing about Tolkien that will probably always bother me is his Deus Ex Machina - AKA The Eagles. I'm wondering what audiences are going to do when they pop up in this one.

I always think of this in my head, Tolkien is sitting there, he's written himself in a corner. "Oh crap, what do I do.. what do I do... TIME FOR... THE EAGLES!!"

Allen (jarday) | 5 comments I hear you -- so what's the appeal?! I'm really struggling to get through this. Other than golum, I don't know much about any of the characters--have absolutely no interest in them. It's just a random bunch of short people. Every now and then out of nowhere comes a predicament which is suddenly solved very easily. If my son wasn't insisting I keep pace with him, I'd just put this one aside.

I don't know man, it's a fun adventure story for me. I love Middle Earth.