The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > The Old Republic

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Anyone jumping in now that it's free to play (or soon to be)?

I've never tried an MMMMMMO, so I don't know how to find people. What server are all my S&L peeps on?

message 2: by Tamahome (last edited Nov 12, 2012 10:53AM) (new)

Tamahome | 5096 comments Cool, I can pretend to be in the GOP? (GOP stands for Grand Old Party, I guess it's not that funny)

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather Leasor (elvenmageus) Been playing since it came out. Although for the last month or 2 because of class, I haven't had much time to devote. I think during the holidays I may try to get back into it.

message 4: by Rob, Roberator (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5140 comments Mod
I really enjoyed the leveling process in that game, but the monthly fee and lack of endgame content was enough to cause me to cancel a few months after it came out.

I'd recommend checking it out for anyone who enjoys star wars though, as I thought the stories are great on the first play through.

Each class (4 Empire/4 Republic) have 2 subclasses. They mirror each other in abilities, but with different names for everything. Each subclass has 3 talent trees that can vary your play style further. (ie caster dps vs healer or tank vs. melee dps)

The class story (which drives the level progression) is different for each class, but not the subclass.

That essentially gives you 8 unique stories (Trooper, Smuggler, Jedi Knight, Jedi Consular and the Equivalent: Bounty Hunter, Imperial Agent, Sith Warrior, Sith Inquisitor) to play if you try one of each.

Ideally if you wanted to try all 8 sub-types you could pick 1 for Empire and the other for your play through on Republic. (ex: A Jedi Knight is equivalent to a Sith Warrior, so you could pick the Sith Maurader[melee dps 2: light sabres] sub-class instead of Jedi Guardian [tank/melee dps: 1 light sabre]).

Empire and Republic do have different quest hubs and different planets. Many have light and dark choices, so you can be a Light Sith or a Dark-side Jedi, but it's mostly cosmetic. The choices do sometimes drastically change the outcome of quests/dungeons though.

I got bored of leveling my second Empire character (Bounty Hunter) though. The class quests were new/interesting, but since all the planet quests were the same those were kind of tedious the second time with all the dialogue/voice acting I greatly enjoyed the first time.

I just wanted to hurry it all along so I could get to my next class quest.

That said, I got too many other things to do, that I doubt I'll come back anytime soon. If I do I might try to finish leveling my smuggler to get not only different class quests, but the different faction quests as well.

message 5: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments I am thinking about breaking into for the Christmas break. Will we still have to buy the game itself or is it downloadable for free and the free to play too?

message 6: by Rob, Roberator (last edited Nov 12, 2012 02:22PM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 5140 comments Mod
I can't seem to find a straight answer. But maybe it's because I'm skimming. I already own the game, so I get "Bonus" stuff for coming back according to This page.

There is also a FAQ

This page makes me think you don't have to buy it as they are encouraging you to buy it early so you can get the bonus or whatever, but even the question of Is it truly free? doesn't say one way or the other.

message 7: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Micah wrote: "I am thinking about breaking into for the Christmas break. Will we still have to buy the game itself or is it downloadable for free and the free to play too?"

From what I understand, it's free but limited. Everything I've read leads me to believe I wouldn't care about anything beyond the limited offering, anyway, as I just want to play through the (meaning: a) story.

message 8: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Namadan (jnamadan) | 218 comments I really liked the game at the start, but with the first world problem of having to boot my Mac into Windows to play kinda got me away from it and I ended up canceling. I just wasn't playing enough to justify the cost. Now that it will be F2P, I might pop in.

Great story. Same type of MMORPG mechanics though. I primarily solo so end game not that big of deal.

message 9: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I would love to give The Old Republic a try but I just can't seem to pull myself away from DC Universe Online and Guild Wars 2.

message 10: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments I would do The Old Republic, but I'm distracted by a lot of other things.

message 11: by David(LA,CA) (new)

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 327 comments When I left, I had finished my Smuggler's main story (including the romantic subplot). As part of ending my subscription, I listed off all the problems I had with the game at the time. I have read through the copy I saved of those problems. I'm going to pay for a month (mostly to get all the free credits I'd get from having an active subscription at the time it goes free to play), I'm going to see if they've made any improvements on any the problems I had with the game, and I'll go from there.