Darynda Jones Fans discussion

Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet (Charley Davidson, #4)
This topic is about Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
4thGBMF Book Discussion > Day 3- Never Saw It Coming

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dana Alma (Readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Did you know Harper was a ghost, and if so how soon did you realize it? Were there early signs hidden in the text?

Becky | 2 comments Holy moly! I'm reading this one now so this is a bit of a spoiler, but at least I can see if there are some hints along the way (I'm about halfway through so it's not a total spoiler).

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (Traci-MadHatterReads) | 609 comments Mod
Darynda got me with that twist. I didn't see it coming at all!

Stephanie (ThirstyFlea) | 223 comments I totally did not see that coming- I'm easy to trick like that! I guess I should have expected something like that since it seemed like Charley's friends Pari and Trey weren't being very social with her, and she was just sitting around at the tattoo parlor.

message 5: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Becky wrote: "Holy moly! I'm reading this one now so this is a bit of a spoiler, but at least I can see if there are some hints along the way (I'm about halfway through so it's not a total spoiler)."

Oh sorry Becky, I usaully take the book discussion chapter by chapter but decided to mix it up this time. So sorry, bummed I let the cat out of the bag. Darn

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (Doppleganger_Suzanne) | 44 comments I was completely fooled. After all the 'I see dead people' jokes, I felt like I should have seen it coming! Just like that movie, there were hints amd I missed them all until after the big reveal. Like how Charley took Harper to the one safe house where she could be seen. *headsmack*
But dang, is Charley ever going to take a job that pays?

message 7: by Rhianna (last edited Nov 12, 2012 07:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhianna (rrhiannon99) totally didnot see Herper being dead coming.

Reyes moving in next door I did see coming.

message 8: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stephanie wrote: "I totally did not see that coming- I'm easy to trick like that! I guess I should have expected something like that since it seemed like Charley's friends Pari and Trey weren't being very social wit..."

Stephanie and Traci, she is so efin talented. You would think we would of caught on, with all the movies we watch,but noooo. I was like, "huh" why didn't I see it?" DJ has mad skills.

message 9: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhianna wrote: "totally didnot see Herper being dead coming.

Reyes moving in next door I did see coming."

Yes, saw that one!~

message 10: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary Davis | 3 comments I did not see it coming eary either... But as soon as I knew, I had a flash back to the tatoo parlor, it made sense that she would bring her to Pari.

message 11: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Suzanne (Doppleganger) wrote: "I was completely fooled. After all the 'I see dead people' jokes, I felt like I should have seen it coming! Just like that movie, there were hints amd I missed them all until after the big reveal..."

Right, Suzanne?????? Like "duh"

message 12: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary wrote: "I did not see it coming eary either... But as soon as I knew, I had a flash back to the tatoo parlor, it made sense that she would bring her to Pari."

Mary, Pari was the key. LOL

Becky | 2 comments Dana wrote: "Becky wrote: "Holy moly! I'm reading this one now so this is a bit of a spoiler, but at least I can see if there are some hints along the way (I'm about halfway through so it's not a total spoiler)..."

Haha! It's no biggie. Like I said, I'm about halfway through the book so far and will probably finish tonight.

message 14: by Kyra (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyra | 78 comments So, how exactly is Reyes paying for his apartment if he is broke?

message 15: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyra wrote: "So, how exactly is Reyes paying for his apartment if he is broke?"

Hmmm, keep the questions coming. Trying to book a chat with Darynda and we can send in questions for her before hand. LOL

Suzanne (Doppleganger) (Doppleganger_Suzanne) | 44 comments Rhianna wrote: "Reyes moving in next door I did see coming."

Me too! Made me feel better about being fooled by Harper. :)

Lisa Hoang aka The Consummate Reader (TheConsummateReader) | 47 comments Mod
it literally blew my mind. that was twice in one week! i did start to notice that cookie never saw harper and pari never actually confirmed her corporeal existence

Cindy (cindymac52) I did not see that one! But so disappointed that she did not get paid...again! Reyes has money...I think he should make a large settlement on Charley for using her as bait!

message 19: by Kyra (last edited Nov 12, 2012 11:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyra | 78 comments Cindy wrote: "I did not see that one! But so disappointed that she did not get paid...again! Reyes has money...I think he should make a large settlement on Charley for using her as bait!"

Isn't that what she was trying to do with the $1 mm invoice she gave him?

Chantal Halpin | 125 comments Kyra wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I did not see that one! But so disappointed that she did not get paid...again! Reyes has money...I think he should make a large settlement on Charley for using her as bait!"

Isn't ..."

Cindy wrote: "I did not see that one! But so disappointed that she did not get paid...again! Reyes has money...I think he should make a large settlement on Charley for using her as bait!"

Yup - I think she has mad maths skillz! Charley can do my invoicing :)

But no, I didn't see that coming.

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Totally blindsided by Harper! Kudos to DJ for fooling us! hehe

message 22: by Annii (new) - added it

Annii | 126 comments I did not see that one! It was so sad when we were finally told, i was so shocked that i said oh thats so sad really loud and everyone at home was wondering what was wrong with me lol

message 23: by Leah (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leah I didn't see it coming either... in fact, in the basement scene I thought she was freshly dead at 1st when Charley saw the fresh dirt mound. I was so sad :( But why would Charley pull her gun on Harper...sorry Margaret...in the beginning if she was only a ghost?

message 24: by Cher (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cher | 126 comments I agree with Leah.I thought she just died in the basement too.Not before.Totally fooled me

Cindy (cindymac52) ...and THAT is why Darynda is such a GREAT writer! She had us fooled till the end!

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "...and THAT is why Darynda is such a GREAT writer! She had us fooled till the end!"

Absolutely!

Sunny (wkonsunshine) | 61 comments Had to read it twice. I thought I mis-read it the first time.

Amber Hughes | 7 comments Sunny wrote: "Had to read it twice. I thought I mis-read it the first time."

I did too Sunny!

Stephanie (ThirstyFlea) | 223 comments Me too, Sunny and Amber! It took my slow brain a minute to process it! I thought she had just been killed right before Charley got to that house, then the mound of dirt threw me again, then it all clicked!

message 30: by Dana, Founder (new) - rated it 5 stars

Annii wrote: "I did not see that one! It was so sad when we were finally told, i was so shocked that i said oh thats so sad really loud and everyone at home was wondering what was wrong with me lol"

Now, that you mention it, I felt kind of bummed for Harper, too.

Cathey (CatPA) | 4 comments I'll have to go back and read the part again, but there was something in the first trip to the tattoo parlor that made me think maybe Harper was a ghost. By the time Charley talked to Harper's brother I was pretty sure. The mound of dirt in the basement confused me for a moment and I'm not sure why. That's the point where I should have been saying "I knew it!" Instead I was saying "Maybe I'm wrong."

Cathey (CatPA) | 4 comments Suzanne (Doppleganger) wrote: "Rhianna wrote: "Reyes moving in next door I did see coming."

Me too! Made me feel better about being fooled by Harper. :)"

Saw that coming and couldn't wait to see Charley's and Cookie's reactions!

message 33: by Ines (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ines (Slayraa) | 684 comments Leah wrote: "I didn't see it coming either... in fact, in the basement scene I thought she was freshly dead at 1st when Charley saw the fresh dirt mound. I was so sad :( But why would Charley pull her gun on Ha..."

I didn't see it coming, but then I thought she had just died in the basement because Charley points the gun at her when they meet. I still don't understand why she would do that, I get she might have been scared but she continues after seeing Harper was scared and a ghost. I actually went back in the book to re-read that bit, it took me some time to realise she was dead since the beginning. Taking her to Pari makes sense but the gun moment doesn't - at least for me.

Shanta (mybookobession1) | 1 comments I no way saw that one coming. I was so shocked and emotional. After i read it I thought there were probably clues that i should of seen but I didn't and a lot of things made sense once i did realize the truth.

Vicki (Vicki_LP) | 217 comments Mod
Yes, I had no idea she was dead, that one blindsided me!

Cathey (CatPA) | 4 comments That gun thing was the reason I wasn't completely convinced Harper was dead. Then I sort of put it down to Charley's recent kidnapping and torture experience. Harper surprised her, she had the gun pointed and didn't lower it no matter what. There was also something about Harper's interactions with Charley that "felt" ghost-like.

If you have seen "One Day" you'll understand why my movie buddy gets annoyed. I saw that coming from the first scene.

We won't even talk about what I did while seeing "Ghost" for the first time.

Chantal Halpin | 125 comments Ines wrote: "Leah wrote: "I didn't see it coming either... in fact, in the basement scene I thought she was freshly dead at 1st when Charley saw the fresh dirt mound. I was so sad :( But why would Charley pull ..."

Yes Ines, I know what you mean.

Cathey wrote: "That gun thing was the reason I wasn't completely convinced Harper was dead. Then I sort of put it down to Charley's recent kidnapping and torture experience. Harper surprised her, she had the gun ..."

What about Sixth Sense?? :)

Redheaded Bookworm (RedHeadedBookworm) | 11 comments Nope, I never saw it. I was completely shocked!

Sandy | 9 comments I didn't see it coming either although I could swear Darynda did the same thing in an earlier book. Sadly I didn't realize until the basement scene when the old lady didnt notice her. i did see Reyes either moving next door or giving her the apt.

I think he either has money and was just pulling her chain (like he was in that whole conversation) or he got money later. Considering what he did for his sister and friend it seems he can get money easily plus he would've been paid for fighting

message 40: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel | 829 comments Candie wrote: "Totally blindsided by Harper! Kudos to DJ for fooling us! hehe"

I was so sad to discover she was dead already...DJ had me throughout the entire book.

message 41: by Mel (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mel | 829 comments Kyra wrote: "So, how exactly is Reyes paying for his apartment if he is broke?"

I love the question but I do not believe for a minute Reyes is really broke. He is the Son of Satan and has been around since the beginning of time. How could he not have money?