The Slash Pile discussion

Reading > Currently reading?

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Potatoe, Overlord (new)

Potatoe (overlordpotatoe) | 88 comments Mod
If it hasn't been rec'd, you should rec it!

I got side tracked from reading when I was doing comm stuff, so I still need to get back to reading the anth. And the other thing I started reading that I wasn't that keen on because typos. I wish all online fiction was hosted somewhere like gdocs so I could highlight typos/grammatical errors and leave notes. I'd feel so much better.

message 2: by Potatoe, Overlord (new)

This one's on its own website I think... no reviews! Also then I have to think of nice things to say to counter my criticism and I'm lazy.

message 3: by Potatoe, Overlord (new)

And now I'm about to start reading The Archer's Heart. What's everyone else reading?

message 4: by Zeffy (new)

Zeffy (zeffyamethyst) | 10 comments Mod
The Lies of Locke Lamora and The Digital Plague. Both gen, and published. XD

message 5: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Someone recommended Drunk Text so I started that, but I don't like reading on my computer. Anyone know of a system to download from Fictionpress and covert to .mobi or.prc (so I can read on Kindle) which works? I tried some software I downloaded to my Macbook but it keeps hanging.

The rec was on the M/M Romance Group here on GR which I suspect many of you might like ...

P.S. For newbies from LJ, if you refer to a book it's really helpful if you do so using a GR link (so others can quickly find it). When you reach the place in your comment where you would type the book title, instead click on the "add book/author" link which is just above the comment box. Choose "book" or "author" and put the text into the search box. (It's not very free-search, so I would suggest putting the first couple of words of the title or author name, rather than words from the middle.) You'd be surprised at what has been indexed at GR; you'll often find a link even to non-published stuff (see e.g. the link for Drunk Text above). Click on "add". Although it appears as text in [ ], once you post your comment it magically transforms into a link! For published works you can choose a thumbnail of the cover instead of a word link but, while it looks pretty, unless the cover is unusually clear or very well-known this can be slower for readers, who have to hover over the cover to see which book it is.

Also, keep an eye on the "email me when people reply" box, under the comment box. Unless you want to get lots of emails you may want to untick this.

message 6: by Potatoe, Overlord (new)

Thanks for the tip, that's really helpful :)

message 7: by Zeffy (new)

Hey, Hj, this is what you might be looking for: http://www.fanfictiondownloader.net/

You can use the web-based app or download it. It converts fp, ff, aff, plus other websites to different formats including .mobi

message 8: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Zeffy wrote: "Hey, Hj, this is what you might be looking for: http://www.fanfictiondownloader.net/

You can use the web-based app or download it. It converts fp, ff, aff, plus other websites to different formats..."

Thank you! But this is what I tried - I was so pleased to come across it. But on my Macbook it hangs and reports an error that it wants me to assign a place for my ebooks using Menu - but the option it wants me to select just isn't there in the Menu. Very frustrating as the software looks so useful.

message 9: by Zeffy (new)

Have you tried just using the web version? That's never caused any issues for me.

message 10: by A.R. (new)

A.R. Jarvis | 2 comments I'm reading Darkside, which is really good, but I'm not sure I can explain it... it's a dystopian future sci-fi novel with racing and politics and genetic manipulations.

I'm keen on the author, who writes books with plot that has some gay characters (instead of some gay characters who may or may not stumble onto a plot...)

message 11: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Zeffy wrote: "Have you tried just using the web version? That's never caused any issues for me."

Please could you explain what you mean by the web version?

message 12: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Deheart | 2 comments Not sure what Zeffy meant by web version but I have a macbook and use the fanfictiondownloader plugin for Calibre with no problem. I was never able to get the stand alone to work for me. I have mine set up to download to mobi, then save the stories to my kindle.

To get it you need to install Calibre, then click preferences, plugins near the bottom, and then get new plugins. Scroll through the list to find the fanfictiondownloader plugin and install.

message 13: by M.J. (new)

M.J. Willow | 3 comments I'm reading Less Than Three Press's Private Dicks anthology (I think that title is courtesy of Megan Derr's mother, seriously, Mrs Derr comes up with the most hilarious stuff), which I'm loving so far. Of course, with so many different stories some of them are bound to be better than others, but that's what makes an anthology fun. :D

message 14: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Kenny wrote: "Not sure what Zeffy meant by web version but I have a macbook and use the fanfictiondownloader plugin for Calibre with no problem. I was never able to get the stand alone to work for me. I have min..."

Thank you! I really ought to get going with Calibre, since I see such glowing reports everywhere.

message 15: by Potatoe, Overlord (new)

I know some people here who would start laughing maniacally at the idea of anthologies being fun. It would trail off into sobs.

message 16: by Zeffy (new)

HJ, I meant this one: http://fanfictiondownloader.appspot.com/

You login with your gmail account and copypaste the URL and then hit download and it saves onto your computer in that format.

And yeah, agreed, Toe. Anthology = Tears + Angst + a;osdiyga[sdogasdg

message 17: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Zeffy wrote: "HJ, I meant this one: http://fanfictiondownloader.appspot.com/

You login with your gmail account and copypaste the URL and then hit download and it saves onto your computer in that format..."

Wow! That's fantastic, and so quick. Thank you!

message 18: by Zeffy (new)

No probs. :) I'm glad it work out for you.

message 19: by Santino (new)

Santino Hassell (santino_hassell) | 19 comments I just read Pricks and Pragmatism and it was funny/cool

message 20: by Meep (new)

Meep | 4 comments Hj wrote: "Someone recommended Drunk Text so I started that, but I don't like reading on my computer. Anyone know of a system to download from Fictionpress and covert to .mobi or.prc (so I can read on Kindle..."

Do you use Firefox? because there's an app GrabMyBook which is worth getting, it copies from fictionpress/LJ... and converts to different formats.

message 21: by HJ (new)

HJ | 27 comments Meep wrote: "Do you use Firefox? because there's an app GrabMyBook which is worth getting, it copies from fictionpress/LJ... and converts to different formats..."

I don't use Firefox, but thank you for the suggestion.

message 22: by Meep (new)

Meep | 4 comments Hj wrote: "Meep wrote: "Do you use Firefox? because there's an app GrabMyBook which is worth getting, it copies from fictionpress/LJ... and converts to different formats..."

I don't use Firefox, but thank yo..."

Only other way I know of is to cut and paste, save as a pdf and convert via calibre :/