The Book Thief The Book Thief question

Patty Donovan Patty Nov 11, 2012 03:53PM
There are so many references to historical people, places and events. I find myself looking up dates from WWII era.
I loved the part where Rudy's papa tells him he cannot paint himself black. It is interesting to seee how the parents tried to justify their stereotypes.
P60 ..."You shouldn't want to be like black people or Jewish people or anyone who is...not us."
WHo are Jewish people?"
..."Ididn't know that. Do you have to pay to be Jewish? Do you need a license?"

"No, Rudy." ..." It's like your German or Catholic."

If I was a kid, I would be no closer to understanding what I did wrong, than before my dad explained it to me. I think this passage shows Rudy's innocense and integrity and it also shows that the Stieners were probably not "Good Nazis." Therefore, honorable.

Rudy was beautiful in all his Jesse Owens glory. Liesel should have kissed him when she had the chance :'(

I agree, the fact that his parents don't constantly drill into him the Nazi ideals as others did in those days showed they were not fully commited. I have to say, Rudy was one of my favourite characters in this book and gave the reader a chance to smile with his childish antics. It also showcases his innocence and naivety.