YA Writers and Readers discussion

Debates > Paperback versus Hardcover. Who wins?

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Inês (new)

Inês I know, i know it's a hard question...

But let me know, do you prefer paperback or hardcover?

I have to choose paperback, because although i really like the way hardcovers look on my bookshelves and i hate to have to wait for the books to come out in paperback i always end up buying paperbacks instead just because they are cheaper ( i rather buying more in paperback than buying less in hardcover) and they are easier to carry around with me.

Which one wins?
You decide :D

message 2: by Morgan (new)

Morgan | 1315 comments Mod
Oh that's a hard question and I totally agree that hardcovers look better on the shelf and paperbacks and cheaper and easier to carry around and a majority of my bookshelf is paperbacks unless they're from the used bookstores but overall I'd have I say paperback

message 3: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Horsman (KathywithaK27) | 1340 comments Mod
I would buy a hardcover over a paperback EVERY time if, like you guys said, it wasn't for price. I love my hardcovers and I have bought certain authors I love as hardcover, but I always buy paperback when I can avoid paying that much for hardcover.

message 4: by Fumi (new)

Fumi Hancock (fumihancock) | 3 comments I love the idea of the hardcover for those titles I love to keep as a collector's item. I suppose they all have their own place in the readers' hearts.

message 5: by Jess (new)

Jess (jesssssssica) When reading on my back, hardcovers always hurt more when they fall on my face. On the plus side, they do look a lot better on my shelf... but take up more room! I also can't cover my hardcover books as I can with paperbacks and when I get them from the library, they have the loud scratchy covering which makes reading when I'm supposed to be asleep very indiscreet. And when the dust jackets get ruined, esp where they cover the spine of the book, I just die a little inside. But then paperbacks get crunched up easily too. Oh the indecision! If I had all the money n the world I would just buy a paperback and hardback of everything :D

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Gottlieb Hardcover, and for anyone looking for inexpensive reads, I always get mine at Goodwill. Hardcovers under $2.

message 7: by Little Bee (new)

Little Bee (LittleBeesReads) I like paperback. But I'll buy a book in hardcover. Each have their perks.

message 8: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa Which is the first edition. For example, SWEET EVIL by Wendy Higgins comes out only in paperback. But BRIGHTLY WOVEN by Alexandra Bracken was printed in both, as are most books. I'd say that I probably stick to hardcovers, but paperbacks are cheaper, and sometimes have better cover designs. They may also have worse cover designs. It all depends :D

message 9: by Kathy (new)

Alyssa wrote: "Which is the first edition. For example, SWEET EVIL by Wendy Higgins comes out only in paperback. But BRIGHTLY WOVEN by Alexandra Bracken was printed in both, as are most books. I'd say that I prob..."

Good point on the paperback covers, a lot of times they are so much better! The color they pick for the hardcovers are sometimes horrid too!

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Rooney (SarahandBrown) | 2 comments I'd have to say I prefer Hardcover. It's hard to describe, but I just love looking at hardcover books and holding them. And, of course, they look awesome on bookshelves. Also, I usually end up bending my paperbacks way out of shape by the time I'm done with them! :)

message 11: by Courtney (new)

Courtney Vail | 2 comments I've bought both in recent time, but I generally buy paperbacks because they are cheaper. The hardcovers do look nice though.

message 12: by Inês (new)

Inês Sarah wrote: "I'd have to say I prefer Hardcover. It's hard to describe, but I just love looking at hardcover books and holding them. And, of course, they look awesome on bookshelves. Also, I usually end up bend..."

I also end up bending my paperbacks but i face it as a sign of love (because that usually happens with the ones that i love for some reason), it makes them special and unique. :)

message 13: by Kathy (new)

I'm curious as to what you all think about ebooks vs physical books too. Personally, I love them and love my nook, but what do you buy?

message 14: by Nikki (new)

Nikki (MommaNik24) | 4 comments I love e-books. In fact, I was a little frustrated that I had to buy Tiger's Curse in book form because the Kindle/Amazon doesn't carry it. I considered downloading it on my daughter's Nook, but I didn't want her to be stuck without her e-reader. I was struggling with reading the physical book in bed last night with the light, the sound of the pages, and trying to get in my comfortable reading position. Sigh. My "pre e-reader" days, I preferred hardcover. I felt they were easier for me to hold and read.

message 15: by Kathy (new)

My biggest issue with ebooks is the price. If there is an ebook that is the same price as a real book I tend to buy the book, I almost feel like if I'm paying that kind of money I may as well get something physcical for it!

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie Reece Paperback. They are cheaper, you still get the pretty cover and I can take them in the bathtub to read at night without feeling guilty!

message 17: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Shaw (twshaw22) | 5 comments Paperback because they don't cost Indie authors to produce :-)

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Thomas wrote: "Paperback because they don't cost Indie authors to produce :-)"

LOL I can imagine. It is kinda ridiculous some of the prices out there for hardcovers. It's too bad because a lot of them are very nice.

message 19: by Voss (new)

Voss Foster (VossFoster) | 10 comments I prefer reading paperbacks, but I prefer owning hardcovers because I think they feel better (and they definitely last longer).

Voss

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (breathepages) | 20 comments i like hardcovers. more durable, last longer.

message 21: by Valencia (new)

Valencia (vvlovesu) | 11 comments For collecting hardback. For random reading paperback. I mostly use eBook though since they can be downloaded and saved to various devices.

message 22: by chloe (new)

chloe I prefer reading paperbacks, but I love the way hardcovers look on my shelves! Hardcovers are very durable and last longer than paperbacks. Paperbacks are cheaper though. So for me either one is fine. It's really hard to pick a favorite though! (: