♥Books, Coffee, Music & Ireland♥ discussion

*Holidays* > Thanksgiving

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

Alice | 4433 comments Mod
What are some Thanksgiving traditions, for those of you who celebrate/have it? :)

I LOVE the big dinner, and then afterwards setting up the Christmas decorations and just the festiveness. :))

message 2: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Sophie | 2550 comments Mod
We miss this one :(

Today was a big/sad one for the English. Remembrance day - its one of my favourite days, even though it is sad :(

message 3: by Nicole (last edited Nov 11, 2012 02:26PM) (new)

Nicole | 406 comments I remember watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade every year and loved being surprised by which performers would be present and then looking for my favorite floats and balloons! *sighs happily* We don't watch it any more, cause we don't have TV anymore.
And DINNER! the turkey, and stuffing, and mashed potatoes, and sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and green beans, and biscuits with butter, and cranberry sauce.......... Oh I can't wait! :)

message 4: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 same, Nicole! ;D

Soph, what did you all do?

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book I love watching the Parade, have watched it since I was a child. I love just the relaxing day, the fragrance of dinner filling the house. Then that weekend we start decorating.

message 6: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 406 comments I can't stand how the stores start prepping for Christmas in AUGUST!!!! I'm like "I love the holidays, but I would prefer to keep them special by waiting til Thanksgiving!" :) Its a pet-peeve.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Canadian here. Celebrated Thanksgiving last month. :) Turkey dinner, pumpkin pies... the cranberry sauce always has to be there for some reason. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, and anything harvested from our garden.

message 8: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

@Kim & Nicole: DITTO on both scales.

neat, Cari! how was it this year?

message 9: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

:O no way! so cool!!

message 10: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 2071 comments Thanksgiving Day...
My dad & bros get up crazy early and go hunting.
That afternoon, we all go to Grandma's house & have a big Thanksgiving lunch. Then we watch football & visit for most of the day.
Do we always have turkey, dressing, etc? Nope. Last year, my oldest bro grilled Deer Steaks! ;)
For me, Thanksgiving isn't about the food, parades, or even the Pilgrims & Indians... It's a time to focus on the good things -- the blessings -- in my life and to spend time with my family.

message 11: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 2071 comments Soph wrote: "Today was a big/sad one for the English. Remembrance day - its one of my favourite days, even though it is sad :("

Today is Veterans Day in the U.S.
A day of sadness as well as celebration...

message 12: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

We have special services shown on TV and we have a 2 minute silence at 11 o' clock. We also all wear poppies on the day (and in the build up to the day) it's a sad but lovely day :)

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book In London at Whitehall which is a war memorial the Queen lays a wreath for all the fallen soldiers. Similar to in the States when the President lays a wreath at the tomb of the unknown soldiers.

We have both memorial and veterans day in the states. Veterans day being to celebrate all military vets and Memorial day to celebrate the military members who have died serving the country.

Soph in England is Remembrance day for all veterans who have served and who have died or or do you have 2 separate days as celebrations as well?

IloveBooks- that's awesome that you go to the parade!! My High School band marched in it one year while I was attending the school (I wasn't in the band but it sure is a proud moment for us New Yorkers even if you're not in the band)

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Soph wrote: "We miss this one :(

Today was a big/sad one for the English. Remembrance day - its one of my favourite days, even though it is sad :("

Soph wrote: "We have special services shown on TV and we have a 2 minute silence at 11 o' clock. We also all wear poppies on the day (and in the build up to the day) it's a sad but lovely day :)"

We have that here too. On the 9th we had an assembly at school, since the 11th fell on a sunday.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Alice wrote: "@Kim & Nicole: DITTO on both scales.

neat, Cari! how was it this year?"

It was great. We actually had the Thanksgiving dinner the day before. My whole family went to this big country fair and spent the entire day there.

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book Nice Cari!

message 17: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

The 11th is the main day really when we celebrate all who have lost their lives in battle (particularly the world wars)

message 18: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

thats so neat, everybody! love all the different traditions. :) Soph, thats interesting! 2 minutes of silence? everybody? really? I couldn't do it. ;P lol

message 19: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

yes.... "happy" veterans day, Americans! ....is that how you would say that? its not very "happy"...lol

message 20: by Aerykah (new)

Aerykah | 2071 comments Actually, it's very happy! We're celebrating all the men & women who made it home! :)

message 21: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

Aww that's great! We don't have that... We should!
Yeah. Everyone goes silent! It's so amazing and makes you stop and think :)

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book We walked into the V&A museum while they were in the middle of the 2 min. of silence - didn't realize it though because other people were walking in as well of course, we were at the cloak room to drop off our coats and the man at the counter was just standing there and I couldn't figure out why. Then the bell rang to indicate that the 2 min. was over and I felt really bad that I didn't know. I mean I wasn't being loud or disrespectful but I wasn't silent either so I apologized :-(

and yes, Veterans Day is happy because we're honoring all vets not just the ones who have died - that's what Memorial Day is for. So that one is sadder.

message 23: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

Soph wrote: "Aww that's great! We don't have that... We should!
Yeah. Everyone goes silent! It's so amazing and makes you stop and think :)"

that is so neat...
@Aery: true. ;)

message 24: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 214 comments For Thanksgiving my parents and my niece (goes to college in Boston) come over our house, so with our kids we have a total of 8. My husband and I make the food (a lot so we can have leftovers after) HUGE turkey, sausage stuffing, mashed potatoes & gravy, roasted root vegetables (carrots, butternut squash & parsnips) and cranberry horseradish sauce. For dessert-- pumpkin pie, macaroon cookies and apple crisp. The guys watch football and the girls play cards after cleaning up dinner. After they go home we go pick out and tag a Christmas tree which we cut down and put in our living room on our wedding anniversary (Dec. 10th).

message 25: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

that sounds so festive!!!!

message 26: by Grace (new)

Grace  (sweetiepie1000) I am have Thanksgiving at home..... YES!!!!!

message 27: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 214 comments I wish we could put up our Christmas tree that weekend but it would have no needles by Dec. 25th! --Plus my 2 cats love the tree and ornaments!!

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book Carol wrote: "For Thanksgiving my parents and my niece (goes to college in Boston) come over our house, so with our kids we have a total of 8. My husband and I make the food (a lot so we can have leftovers after..."

that sounds lovely!!!

I'll be cooking this year again - even though I'll be on a long flight home the day before lol. My oldest daughter who we've been away from for 6 months begged me to cook T-day dinner and how can I say no to that? lol she's buying the food for me though so that will be a big help. I told her though I may need an energy drink on Thanksgiving LOL. It will be the 6 of us as usual plus our oldest is bringing her friend who didn't want to go to her sisters house all day.

This is my oldest daughter's favorite holiday so I know she's going to be very happy and that makes me happy.

message 29: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

Kim N - Lost-In-A-Book wrote: "Carol wrote: "For Thanksgiving my parents and my niece (goes to college in Boston) come over our house, so with our kids we have a total of 8. My husband and I make the food (a lot so we can have l..."

aw thats so sweet!! :D yea..lots of coffee/energy drinks! ;D

message 30: by Sophie, The Romantic Moderator :) (new)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!! :) I guess you can say that ;) hope you all (who celebrate it) have a great day and can't wait to hear all about it!
(I know it is early for some of you but it is 12.03 am here - so I'm not early for my zone ;) )

message 31: by Carol (new)

Carol (goodreadscomcarolann) | 214 comments Kim N - Lost-In-A-Book wrote: "I'll be cooking this year again - even though I'll be on a long flight home the day before lol..."

Hope you had a great flight home Kim!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

message 32: by Grace (new)

Grace  (sweetiepie1000) Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I will be going away. So sadly i will not be able to chat this my sweet caring girls.

message 33: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

HAPPY THANKSGIVING, ALL!!!!! We have SO much to be thankful for; let's not forget to show our gratitude to the One who all our blessings come from. ♥ Thank you, Lord!!!

@Grace: aw! bye, talk to you soon!!! :D

Kim-Lost-In-A-Book thank you Carol - we did have a great flight home.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

message 35: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 406 comments Happy Thanksgiving everybody!! So nice to be able to "share" this special holiday with all my new friends on goodreads! ;D
@Alice - Yes! We have so much to praise the Lord for! He is so good.

message 36: by Grace (new)

Grace  (sweetiepie1000) Amen @nicole

message 37: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

precisely Nicole!

Michelle Elizabeth (Michelle-El) My family doesn't have any Thanksgiving traditions except the big meal (always turkey, not ham!). :)

Happy Holidays to everyone around the world! :)

message 39: by Alice, that crazy moderator (new)

haha kind of the same, Michelle! ;D

message 40: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (TheReadingRebel) | 1278 comments Happy Thanksgiving everyone!God Bless and may everyone have a great day :)