Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Question: How Do I Not Post to Feed when adding Book Cover images and ?

Comments (showing 1-17 of 17) (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 11, 2012 07:16PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments My feed is now showing photos/images added/uploaded whenever I edit a book to add a bookcover image. I did not see a choice under Edit-Profile "Settings" or "Feed" tabs to stop it. It did not used to happen.

I'm mostly posting missing bookcovers when doing librarian edits; so, it's nothing any friends/followers are likely to want to have showing up in their feeds or that I'll care about once book entry is updated. And could prove annoying as I get into storage boxes of pre-isbn out of print books and get covers scanned.

I have been manually going to my profile page and removing now that I've noticed.

message 2: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 11, 2012 06:54PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I can block entering a giveaway and other stuff from showing on feed by unchecking under the "feed" tab. Works fine.

Photos added used to go to feed only when I added to my profile or groups. So infrequent I didn't worry about.

I have books added to shelves unchecked also; but, apparently if renaming shelves they'll still go to feed—so it may not be an isolated bug.

Having book edits I do as librarian bombard my feed could be a really big issue. One task I have been working on is data reconciliation for unknown title/author lists and, if at same time a missing bookcover is easily findable in personal stash or author/publisher web sites/blogs—I like to add to keep records as complete as possible. Lists are thousands of pages long and that's a lot to go to feed even if my part's only a few dozen books at a time. I saw in time to not be a big issue yet (other than a friend calling me a hypocrite for whinging about huge gifs blocking reviews I was trying to read.)

Is it just me? Anyone else having feed behave strangely with unexpected posts? Or ignoring settings you selected about what goes to feed?

(Of course, it had to be photos after all the griping and unfollowing I do when when someone floods my feed with too many graphics).

Am I missing a menu/setting choice that will fix for me?

message 3: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments I'm surprised there isn't an option not to post images to one's update feed... seems like that would (or could) potentially solve some of the adult image issues that were brought up in this thread.

I think that's definitely an option that needs to be added.

But, in the meantime... you could try the handy ol' catch-all workaround of using a secret group to load the images. They won't show on your feed then.

message 4: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 11, 2012 07:08PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments How do I link bookcover images to a secret group?

The images aren't for me or my books. They are just to fill in missing book data on specific books. I only know to edit the book page, choose a filename and upload to add a bookcover.

If can link to a secret group then maybe there's an option to link to image url on web? Long enough to have it upload to database; I know not to do a permanent link as sites change links all the time and then broken links look worse than missing cover.

message 5: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 737 comments Have you tried uploading book covers directly from your computer to the book page?

That's the way I've always done book covers and it works fine. It's just non-cover images that I've had to load to my profile before posting in a comment.

message 6: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 11, 2012 07:20PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Jason wrote: "You basically have to do what you're doing...post the pictures, then remove them from your feed. That's what I do, as well. (Same with entering a book giveaway or 'liking' someone's photo, two othe..."

@Jason, go to "edit profile" and look under tabs, particularly the feed one, and you can control most of what automatically goes to feed.

The edit-add-bookcover-image causes bookcover to show on feed as if adding to own photos issue just started happening.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 5095 comments Debbie R. wrote: "How do I link bookcover images to a secret group?

The images aren't for me or my books. They are just to fill in missing book data on specific books. I only know to edit the book page, choose a ..."

You'd need to create a secret group and then upload the pics to the group instead of your profile.

Pjreads - I've always done it that way too, but I'm assuming Debbie has a reason for doing it the other way. *shrug*

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila  | 575 comments Debbie, this sounds like a BUG. I have added plenty of bookcover photos to book pages, and never had one show up on my feed.

message 9: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 11, 2012 08:49PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments @pjreads and @Becky - I do upload bookcover image files from computer directly to book page. Makes sense; but, it's also the only way I know how to do and have never had a reason to do any other way or had book covers update to my feed.

Becky brought up a secret group workaround for book cover images in message 4 so I was asking how; I have not been doing it that way (or any way other than local file upload to book page) and so certainly have no reason for something I haven't been doing anyway?

The part that's throwing me about Becky's method is how, If group is secret, images would be visible on a book's page? And how do you link a bookcover to uploaded secret group image? (The secret group method sounds too much trouble to be honest just to help goodreads with database; I don't mind volunteering my time but I'm not going to mess up my personal feeds to do so or take the time to copy/program links to secret group images.)

Just all of a sudden, the book cover images added to a book page have been going out to my feed as if I uploaded photos to profile or group. I have not been doing anything differently.

message 10: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 11, 2012 09:03PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Just edited title to make sure it was clear I meant book covers as opposed to personal profile photos. Well, edited as best I could from iPad—some lovely typing in the fields bugs for iOS devices apparently cropping up tonight. Will check back tomorrow for suggestions to stop bookcovers added to book's product page from showing in feed updates.

message 11: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
You're saying that when you upload book covers (on a book's edit page), that is generating an update to your profile/feed?

So about 7 hours ago, you had two such updates, and none since then?

message 12: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 12, 2012 11:12AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments @Rivka, yes, under book edit page when I add book cover it sends the book cover to my feed as if I added a photo to my profile.

I noticed two, removed, and posted on this thread in case someone knew what was up (like maybe some feature changed and there was a work around or was a temporary glitch getting fixed.). Then I stopped adding bookcovers to avoid flooding my feed.

I'm on cell phones and tablets for a bit and haven't been home to have a chance to test again. If anyone wants to shoot me a book missing a cover and the book cover image (or link to it on author/publisher site or other usable source) I can borrow an office to test again.

Otherwise, I should be back home this weekend and next time I run across book needing cover, I will test. If still adds to feed,, I can just not add covers. But, I'd rather just figure out how to make it stop adding to my feed.

The covers were not objectionable ones (manga from publishers Pika and Dark Horse Comics); just that the quantity would have flooded my feed if I had not stopped. Just images, thankfully none of the text edits like correcting "teh" in a book description to say "the" type of statuses were going to feed nor adding book titles, authors, etc. where missing. Just book covers.

message 13: by rivka, librarian moderator (new)

rivka | 12265 comments Mod
Debbie R. wrote: "@Rivka, yes, under book edit page when I add book cover it sends the book cover to my feed as if I added a photo to my profile."

That's bizarre. If you are able to duplicate this again, please take screen shots (log, your feed) and send them to support AT goodreads DOT com, and link to this thread.

message 14: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 13, 2012 12:42AM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments Will do. I'm starting to suspect several glitches with the feed from multi-threads in this group and what friends are chatting about. Not the exact same library book cover edit but enough issues showing up that maybe there's something up with the feeds.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I just tried adding a bookcover image to test; and, it wasn't showing in my update feed.

Hopefully that means was a glitch/bug that has since been fixed.

People are posting some weird problems with the update feeds so maybe was something weird going on that goodreads has since resolved.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 2066 comments Debbie R. wrote: "My feed is now showing photos/images added/uploaded whenever I edit a book to add a bookcover image. I did not see a choice under Edit-Profile "Settings" or "Feed" tabs to stop it. It did not use..."

I've never heard of this. I don't think mine shows up - since I do some much library work lately, I really hope not!

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments I only noticed it with a couple of sequential bookcovef uploads. So I think it was one of the odd glitches they've been having with the update feed. It was just bookcovers (I don't usually do a lot so not sure when issue started) and none of the other editing I did as librarian.