Darynda Jones Fans discussion

Darynda Jones
This topic is about Darynda Jones
4thGBMF Book Discussion > Day2 - Please meet Margaret!

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (Readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Charley has taken to toting around Margaret, her trusty gun, and it would seem she is struggling with PTSD. What did you think when she attempted to leave the apartment for the first time after the attack?

message 2: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Flannery (crystalmbf) | 6 comments I can only imagine the fear she is dealing with after what she went through with her attack. I think I would be the same way Charley was, but knew she would find the strength to overcome it.

message 3: by Dana, Founder (new)

Crystal wrote: "I can only imagine the fear she is dealing with after what she went through with her attack. I think I would be the same way Charley was, but knew she would find the strength to overcome it."

This scene resonated with me, recently I was attacked and now find myself very aware of my surroundings, granted what happen to me was in no way similar to Charley, the lasting effects are hard to shake. Crystal, I knew she would, too. It was so interesting how human emotions rule this story. LOVE it. :-)

message 4: by Ines (last edited Nov 11, 2012 10:32AM) (new)

Ines (Slayraa) | 684 comments I don't know much about PTSD, but I thought it was interesting she felt safer in her apartment where she was tortured (even though she avoids Area 51) than on the street. But I loved the description, I could feel Charley cringe with each step. It was also sort of heartbreaking to see someone as confident as Charley be afraid of crossing a street or feeling insecure out of Misery. Oh, I've just realised I loved how we learn more names of things Charley named. What do you think will be the final name of her sofa?

message 5: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "I don't know much about PTSD, but I thought it was interesting she felt safer in her apartment where she was tortured (even though she avoids Area 51) than on the street. But I loved the descriptio..."

Wow,Ines, I agree, very heartbreaking.

message 6: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
Charley's fear was well warranted. I can't imagine Charley ever wanting to leave the house after having something that traumatic happen to her. Especially since Amber and Cookie could have been hurt too. Not surprised at all that she would carry Margaret and have PTSD. It didn't help that Daddy Dearest had her arrested while in the hospital and Reyes using her as bait. Way too much heavy for our girl.

message 7: by Dana, Founder (new)

Yes, Candie, everything you said. :-)

message 8: by Candie (new)

Dana wrote: "Crystal wrote: "I can only imagine the fear she is dealing with after what she went through with her attack. I think I would be the same way Charley was, but knew she would find the strength to ov..."

Doesn't matter the severity of an attack, Dana. It's still a violation and can leave a lasting mark whether it's physical or mental. Makes sense that you would think about what happened to you while reading about Charley. I think all of us can relate in some way.

message 9: by Dana, Founder (new)

Aww, thanks Candie. XOXO

message 10: by Candie (new)

:-)

message 11: by Chantal (new)

Chantal Halpin | 125 comments I thought the PTSD was covered really well. I was a bit surprised that Charley was so 'human' about it as she is a bit of a super-hero, but as she said to Reyes she is still a girl. Made me bawl like a baby!

message 12: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) I think that Charley's PSTD and shopping madness was her way of coping. I was shocked at her remaining within her apt. I thought after Daddy Dearest crapped on her and she moved out of his domain that she would just move. Cookie should have packed her up and moved her where she could supervise her. With what she has gone through I don't blame her for carrying Margaret. A strong home base can help in recovery ALOT! Self confidence can be restored with positive action. When I was younger an assault nearly happened at the fairgrounds where I had my horses boarded. I turned a pitchfork on the a$$hole! He was lucky the police got there first...my boyfriend and my Dad showed up, he would have been so dead for daring to touch their girl...me! I moved my horses shortly after to a private ranch. So yay Margaret!

message 13: by Candie (new)

Cindy wrote: "I think that Charley's PSTD and shopping madness was her way of coping. I was shocked at her remaining within her apt. I thought after Daddy Dearest crapped on her and she moved out of his domain..."

I was really surprised that she didn't move too Cindy. Something so awful happening in your own home can't be comforting. It's no wonder Charley created Area 51. LOL

Man, Cindy...I don't want to ever get on your bad side...pitchfork? Darn Girl! :-) Charley would be proud. hehe

message 14: by Dana, Founder (new)

Candie wrote: "Cindy wrote: "I think that Charley's PSTD and shopping madness was her way of coping. I was shocked at her remaining within her apt. I thought after Daddy Dearest crapped on her and she moved out..."

I agree!

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (Traci-MadHatterReads) | 609 comments Mod
Cindy wrote: "I think that Charley's PSTD and shopping madness was her way of coping. I was shocked at her remaining within her apt. I thought after Daddy Dearest crapped on her and she moved out of his domain..."

I agree with you ladies. Your home is your haven and if something traumatic happened in it, I know I wouldn't be comfortable staying there any more.

message 16: by Annii (new)

Annii | 126 comments Felt so bad for our girl, but I think I'd be the same... Home is the best place when shit hits fan

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (Vicki_LP) | 217 comments Mod
Yes, I could totally get wondering around in jammies and going on a shopping spree. It was hard to see Charley lose her confidence, so used to her being so strong and unafraid of everything.

message 18: by Candie (new)

I agree Vicki! She was such a mess and it didn't help matters that she didn't have her office to go to anymore either. I wonder if Darynda did a lot of research on PTSD because I feel like she nailed it with Charley's reaction to Earl's attack.

message 19: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (wkonsunshine) | 61 comments Dana wrote: "Crystal wrote: "I can only imagine the fear she is dealing with after what she went through with her attack. I think I would be the same way Charley was, but knew she would find the strength to ov..."

I agree with Dana. I was held up at gunpoint 20 years ago and it took a long time to get over it. I felt for Charley and her need to get out of the house and her need to stay in. It was a shame she didn't have her dad to lean on and it probably compounded her feelings of alienation.

message 20: by Chantal (new)

Chantal Halpin | 125 comments Sunny wrote: "Dana wrote: "Crystal wrote: "I can only imagine the fear she is dealing with after what she went through with her attack. I think I would be the same way Charley was, but knew she would find the s..."

OMgoodness Sunny, how awful! I'm not surprised it took you a long time to get over it. Must have been tough reading for you. Glad you're out the other side.

Candie wrote: "I agree Vicki! She was such a mess and it didn't help matters that she didn't have her office to go to anymore either. I wonder if Darynda did a lot of research on PTSD because I feel like she nail..."

That's what I thought too - she must have done a hella' load of research!

message 21: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Dana, Sunny and Cindy,

I am so terribly sorry for the horrible attacks you survived. Each of you are strong and courageous. I am so happy you were capable of battling through the trauma.

As for Charley...she must learn to trust herself again and this will take time. I believe remaining in her apartment was as much due to her lack of trust in her own ability to defend herself as her fear of the outside world and attackers. In her apartment, outside of "Area 51," she only had to deal with the "known" obstacles (what to eat, Cookie, Ubie, when to sleep). She could hide from her problems including her lack of faith in herself. When she first left the apartment, she relied on Margaret instead of her own instincts and abilities.

With the PTSD, I too agree DJ did a great job. :)