Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

TV/Movies/Music > Mood Music

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
I like to listen to music while I read and write; it really sets the mood for me, particularly when I'm writing.

What music do you like to listen to when you're reading (or writing!) paranormal romances? If it's an urban setting, I usually pop in some harder alternative rock or industrial/techno. For some reason, A Perfect Circle's Mer De Noms album is absolutely perfect for werewolf stories to me. Almost anything by the Deftones works for vampire and werewolf stuff, too. I like Puscifer (it's a side project by Tool/A Perfect Circle's lead singer) for vampire fiction, though those lyrics tend to be extremely racy and sexy.

message 2: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Hi, Cassandra. I'm incredibly picky when it comes to writing love scenes; the music has to be just right for the scene's mood, and I'll spend ages picking the right songs to play. I once had The Crystal Method's "Bad Stone" on repeat for about three hours while I churned out a long, explicit sex scene. So... that song works for the dirty scenes, hee! I also like Depeche Mode for love scenes.

message 3: by Jan (new)

Jan (Jan1228) I must be the odd one out cuz I need to have it dead quiet when I read. My mind has a tendency to shift psychically and live inside the story I'm reading.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (LauraStamps) I agree, Ja'niece. I'm one of the few writers I know who has to write in total silence. I think it's probably because I am also psychic and a high-level Empath, so spirits talk to me 24/7. And when I am writing, they talk to me about my characters as well as the characters talking to me. All at the same time (grin). So I need silence.

And I also need silence for reading for the very same reasons. I already have lots of chatter going on in my head from other realms, so music with words in it is just aggravating noise to me.

message 5: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments I used to listen to different soundtracks (especially "The Red Violin") when I wrote, but now I've gone for something much simpler! There is a website, www.pandora.com, on which you can create a custom radio station. You enter a song or artist that you like, and the station intelligently plays music with similar qualities. My favorite writing station is called "Frou Frou Radio" because, obviously, it's based around the band Frou Frou, which is a sort of electronica-indie type band. I mostly like to listen to chillaxing music when I write...anything too heavy can distract me or give me a headache, which doesn't help with the writer's block.

I don't bother listening to music when I read. I get so involved in books that sometimes I don't even hear people saying my name, so music is tuned out in about six seconds!

message 6: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pandora.com is BRILLIANT. I used to listen to that at work all the time, and it's fantastic for finding new bands. I have a Frou Frou Radio station, too, hee! Summer, you might also try Thievery Corporation; they are super-mellow electronica and are very nice to listen to while working or writing. I love their Mirror Conspiracy album.

message 7: by Summer (new)

Summer (summerbp) | 59 comments Oh yes, I like Thievery Corporation too. Mirror Conspiracy is a great album!

message 8: by Princess Allie (new)

Princess Allie (princessallie) Good music while reading urban fantasy or paranormal romance would be Bat for Lashes and Sia. If you want safe, go with Sarah McLachlan.

message 9: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Ooh, I like Sia but haven't heard of Bat for Lashes. I'll have to look them up. :) Thanks for the rec!

message 10: by Princess Allie (last edited Jan 04, 2008 09:27PM) (new)

Princess Allie (princessallie) Sia is good. She'll have a new album in a few weeks. I also saw that people enjoy Thievery Corporation add Sia to that and you get Zero 7. I love them as well.

message 11: by Hosein (new)

Hosein | 1 comments i love you

message 12: by Gina (new)

Gina (GinRobi) | 137 comments When it comes to writing, music helps. But recommendations are harder to do. With each story and character, the music is different. Sometimes, while driving or listening to music at work, I'll hear some of the words and immediately a character pops in my head. Plan for music that you like to listen to and what you know your characters will like. That helps as well. If you use a character building technique for your characters, add a list of either songs or artists to go along with each. That's helped me.

As for listening while reading, LOL, it's a waste of hydro! Most people have to call my name at least 3 times in order to get my attention. If the book I'm currently reading is that good, I totally get lost into the story and become completely oblivious to those around me. No joke!

message 13: by Rowena (new)

Rowena (Rowenacherry) | 53 comments I prefer to read... and write... without a sound track to distract me. I'm told that some very smart authors burn a custom CD of the mood music for each of their books, so that they can just turn it on and instantly recall characters and setting.

Music that I like may play into my heroes, but for copyright reasons, it's really risky to mention an artist or band and credit them with inspiring a book or a character.

Best wishes,
Rowena

message 14: by Anita (new)

Anita (AnitaW) | 150 comments I too get so lost in a book that it's hard to get my attention. I've recently started listening to All Songs Considered podcasts (NPR- free) and have heard a lot of music I wouldn't have found otherwise. I'm trying out some other podcasts as well, but haven't found any others that really impress me. I'd love to find one that features NEW rock (you never hear that word any more!) songs of all types - the songs you don't otherwise hear on regular radio. (DC radio is really pitiful - my next car will definately have satelite radio!)

message 15: by Anita (new)

Anita (AnitaW) | 150 comments Just thought of a random association - every time I heard Into the Night by Chad Kroeger and Santana, I think of Sherilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. The author points out in several of the books that her heros can dance really well in clubs. I always picture sancuary or the dante bar whenever I hear that song, even though it's not really appropriate for the musical tastes she describes in the series. (Acheron - Goth music, Zarek - very heavy metal, for example)

message 16: by Christel (new)

Christel (Christelc) | 4 comments Right now I have been reading to Type O Negative. Something about listening to Hard Rock/Goth and paranormal's is pretty cool right now for me

message 17: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Depeche Mode, Massive Attack, Tori Amos are a few of my favs while reading my paranormal books.

message 18: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Ooh, Massive Attack is a great choice. It's not too intrusive but is wonderfully moody.

message 19: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (TrishWilsonElizabethBlack) | 42 comments I like Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Delerium, Biosphere, Brian Eno, DJ Tiesto, and Sasha when I'm reading or writing. It depends on what I'm reading as to what I listen to. Enigma is great to listen to when writing erotica. When I'm writing dark stuff I like dark ambient and industrial such as Lustmord and Nord Ambient Alliance.

message 20: by Tessa (new)

Tessa | 3 comments puracane, massive attack, hooverphonic, trentemoller :)

message 21: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (LadyKatherineBookGoddess) | 4 comments John Butler Trio, Sunrise over Sea, is unexpectedly my favorite album to read to. And of course Songs of Love and Hate by Leonard Cohen.

message 22: by new_user (last edited Mar 31, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments I think I've just discovered some good music reading this page, lol. I know what song we all think of when reading PNR... Fever. ;) LOL. Music tends to distract me when I read, but there is definitely some music that seems Made-for-PNR, particularly some industrial and alternative. Garbage, for example, is perfect for PNR. Listen to You Look So Fine one day. Whenever I used to read the BD Brotherhood, I'd always have Maskaremeni by Maria Papadopoulou playing in my head because of the beat, and maybe because the vampires had a European background. *sheepish* Actually, a lot of Buddha Bar would probably work for bgm while reading.

Also suited for PNR: VAST ( Pretty When You Cry ), Three Days Grace (Animal I Have Become), Muse (Time is Running Out, Hysteria), if you can listen to rock while reading. If not, Imogen Heap (The Walk, Psychobabble when she was Frou Frou), Kate Havnevik for those Sia fans (New Day, Timeless), Poe (Angry Johnny). And, of course, many of the songs from the Moonlight and Blood & Chocolate soundtracks, which were, in fact, made for PNR, lol. Anything by Crystal Method, Massive Attack, Portishead, etc. You can hear all these on Youtube, btw.

message 23: by Claire (new)

Claire (clairecho22) | 4 comments While I read twilight and the rest of the series, I only listen to one song...its the assasin tango - from the movie Mr and Mrs Smith. The scene that they dance the tango in the restaurant. I know its crazy listening to that particular song only...but its great! xD

message 24: by Chasidy (new)

Chasidy Usually when I read and write I have something playing very softly. Most times it'll be Pacinni.

message 25: by Shirley (new)

Shirley (DiscipleShirley) | 27 comments No I have to have silence also. Now listening to music before I write, maybe music from Braveheart, celtic, bluegrass, classical I have very electic taste.

message 26: by Gina (last edited Nov 18, 2008 03:18PM) (new)

Gina (GinRobi) | 137 comments Lately, I've been listening to more and more alternative Rock. Give me Theory of a Deadman, Nickelback, State of Shock, Buckcherry, Breaking Benjamin, Daughtry, Default, Hinder, Saving Abel, 3 Doors Down, Three Days Grace, and the like. I'd recently heard of Breaking Benjamin and Saving Abel on a site called Last.Fm. It was a friend who sent me a request to join. You type in the name of the band you like to listen to, and it will play 'like' bands. If you don't like the song that's playing, you can skip it. You can add the song to a playlist. Alt. Rock wasn't something I used to listen to. When singers do nothing but screaming, it gives me a headache. But when my youngest brother brought the first Theory of a Deadman CD into my office and told me to listen to it, to trust him, I did - warily. I liked them instantly and it's been an ongoing habit between us to find a new band we might like.

I don't really think that music inspires my characters - more like it's music my characters listen to.

message 27: by Virginia (new)

Virginia When I'm reading, I don't want or need music. When I'm writing, particularly at the beginning of a book, I like to create a playlist that captures the characters and the setting. (Gee, now I sound like that guy in High Fidelity, don't I?)

For Sea Lord, I listened to a lot of Dougie MacLean. Listen to "Home" - incredible!

http://www.myspace.com/officialdougie...

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita (AnitaW) | 150 comments Want to hear a very sexy voice? Listen to Lover's Song by Aiden Moffet - that Scottish brogue is to die for! You can hear it for free on Myspace Music.

message 29: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I listen to a small selection of Chilled dance stuff::jakatta, dubtribe sound system::julien Jabre::chicane::delirium ft sarah mcLachlan::that sort of stuff:: but i'm open to ideas:: Elizabeth i like the idea of Enigma WOW now theres a thought:: will also listen to Maskaremeni::

message 30: by new_user (last edited Mar 31, 2009 02:53PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Adrienne, I like the trip hop/house stuff too, especially Jakatta's American Dream. Have you ever tried A Perfect Lie (Gabriel & Dresden mix) by The Engine Room, Hayling by FC Kahuna, Hell is Around the Corner by Tricky, Drifting Away (Paradiso Mix) by Faithless or Dreamscape by 009 Sound System?

message 31: by Adrienne (last edited Mar 31, 2009 02:37PM) (new)

Adrienne oo oo ooo:: lets see:: have Haying, Drifting Away *love faithless* and have prob heard the others but not been able to put a title to them::will check them from links above:: the Julien Jabre track above is Swimming Places there are lots of re-mixs but the one i listen to most is the sebastien ingrosso re-edit::also love roger sanchez::well not him,don't know him from Adam Ha Ha:: and Art of Noise::but stangely there are only certain songs that i 'll listen to whilst reading:: and if ever i wrote a book i have to have certain music for certain characters::i did think about listening to rap when i first started the BDB books but just couldn't go thru with it, the only piece of rap i have is Jump by Cypress Hill Ha Ha::can just imagine that pumping out of the brothers suv:)

message 32: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Isn't "A Perfect Lie" the theme song for Nip/Tuck? And YES, "Hell is Round the Corner" is one of my favorite songs. Tricky has such an amazing voice.

Goldfrapp works really well for sexy music, particularly Felt Mountain. Black Cherry has some faster, superhot songs on it, while Felt Mountain is slower and a bit more like torch music.

message 33: by new_user (last edited Apr 01, 2009 12:28PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Yep, Fangirl, it is the theme song for Nip/Tuck, LOL. What can I say? There was nothing wrong with the show's sound director. ;) I like both the Tricky and Portishead versions of "Hell is Round the Corner," but the Tricky track is a little more sexy. ;)

I've only heard "Strict Machine" by Goldfrapp, but I loved that one.

message 34: by Anita (new)

Anita (AnitaW) | 150 comments I just came across the album "Hombre Lobo" by the Eels. Every song on the entire album is werewolf/vampire themed. Some of them even sound okay. I was amused by how prevelant paranormal is becoming in American culture. Two other songs I've notices recently that could be considered "paranormal themed": Wolves by the Accidental and Summerland by the Woodlands.

message 35: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I've got a couple of Midnight Syndicate albums. They're very theatrical and atmospheric, good for a gothic read.

message 36: by ~Tiffany~ (new)

~Tiffany~ When I listen to a CD while I read. every time after I lesten to it agan it reminds me of the book I was reading when I lestened to it.

message 37: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments That happens to me too, Addie! LOL.

message 38: by Ana (new)

Ana (anacnunes) That happens to me all the time too. I mean, there's this song that now plays on the radio all the time (I don't know who plays it or the song name), but every time I hear it, I think of "The shining" by Stephen King. And each time I hear Korn, I think of the manga "Gakuen Alice". Just to name two.

message 39: by ~Tiffany~ (new)

~Tiffany~ thats so cool I love listening to music while I read it helps me zone out on the things around me and helps me focus on the book I am reading.

message 40: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (TrishWilsonElizabethBlack) | 42 comments I love dark ambient, minimalist, and ambient industrial, so I often listen to music most people have never heard of. Lately I've been into Monolake, Redshift, and Oophoi. When I want to listen to something that actually has a melody I like techno and trance like Lords Of Acid, Delerium, Biosphere, and Blank And Jones. And then there's Peter Gabriel, Evanescence, DJ Tiesto, Sasha, Kate Bush, and so forth. I could go on forever. :)

message 41: by Mhollie (new)

Mhollie | 174 comments I need quiet. Any kind of talking or singing bleeds through for me. I like to totaly lose myself in whatever I'm reading.

message 42: by Denise (new)

Denise Ofori (DeniseAfia) I listen to Paramore ,Evanescence , Avril Lavigne's music ! they all go well when reading Paramormal Romance !

unread topics | mark unread