Robert E. Howard Readers discussion

Members' Area > Time Flies

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael | 301 comments Hi everybody - I'm sorry that I've been rather neglecting the Group of late - I've been otherwise engaged and haven't devoted the time that I should have done, for which I apologise.

Personally, I'm getting my Robert E. Howard reading back on track with Black Vulmea's Vengeance: I like a good pirate tale!

to see if there's any taste for a December/Christmas Group read, I'm about to publish a poll for suggested stories we enjoy together.

If there are other activities that you'd like to see in the Group, then I'm open to suggestions, but I will take a tumbleweed silence to mean that your happy with the present occasional and sporadic bursts of activity :-)

message 2: by Mohammed (last edited Nov 22, 2012 02:39PM) (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 257 comments I have just gone back to reading Gent from Bear Creek, laughing my ass off at Elkins and i have 4 other new Howard books. Plan to read Almuric,Kull next.

Just keep up the good work Michael :)

message 3: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Darlage | 435 comments Are we having a 2013 Challenge?

message 4: by Michael (new)

Michael | 301 comments Yep - I'll set it up on New Year's Day :-)

message 5: by Werner (new)

Werner I don't have a lot of experience with them, but my impression is that most challenges don't require people to set up a dedicated shelf for them. For whatever it's worth, I'd recommend not setting that requirement this year.

If we want some way of keeping track for everyone how many REH books we all read toward the challenge this year, my suggestion would be to set up a thread where we could each post the titles of the books we've read as we finish them. We could set a group goal, if you all want to. (One of my other groups is using that format for a classics challenge, and it seems to work well.)

message 6: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 257 comments Werner ideas sounds good. I havent met my challenge this year but i like REH challenge just because i keep track and remember to read REH books.

4 books by Howard is pretty good even if its 7 as i planned.

message 7: by Michael (new)

Michael | 301 comments Hi Werner

The Challenge system for Groups does require that a shelf be dedicated to that Challenge (the Goodreads yearly Challenge doesn't - it just picks up all books you mark as having been read that year). So I'll set that up again, but I'm happy to set up the discussion thread along the lines that your suggest, also

message 8: by Werner (new)

Werner Thanks, Michael! I didn't know that about the formal Challenge for Groups system (there are still quite a few Goodreads features that I'm not really familiar with).

message 9: by Peregrine 12 (new)

Peregrine 12 (Peregrine12) | 75 comments Hello All,

I like the idea of the so-called 'group challenge.' If there are other options, such as the one Werner suggested, I'd be open to trying those as well, but I found last year's set up to be rather enjoyable - especially since I could follow Vincent's progress and know that I beat him to the finish (although, admittedly, I did read fewer books, and smaller books than those of my aforementioned comrade).

In any case, it was great fun. I hope we have something like it for 2013. Happy New Year, everyone!

Wishing you a good one from The Lone Star State,

P-12

message 10: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Darlage | 435 comments I liked watching everyone's progress (or lack of it) as well. I hope you set up a challenge soon!

message 11: by Michael (new)

Michael | 301 comments Thanks for the nudge, Vincent - I'm on it now :-)

message 12: by Mohammed (last edited Jan 07, 2013 05:09AM) (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 257 comments I have 3 brand new REH books at home so right now im planning my challenge ,is only thinking about how much will i have time for.

message 13: by Vincent (new)

Vincent Darlage | 435 comments Which new REH books do you have, Mohammed?

message 14: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 257 comments Vincent wrote: "Which new REH books do you have, Mohammed?"

I have new copies of Kull complete by Del Rey, Almuric,Waterfront boxning Collection. My best humor book of 2012 was A Gent from Bear Creek novel. Look forward reading those 3 books above and then going after other western humor stories.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 494 comments Time has flown for me, too. It's the middle of May & I still have our April reads up on the group home page. Any thoughts on another group read, possibly for June?

message 16: by Werner (last edited May 13, 2013 03:35PM) (new)

Werner Hmmmm! I'll probably be away on vacation with limited Internet access for a week in June; and objectively, I need another reading commitment like I need a hole in the head. (Still, this is REH we're talking about.... :-) ) How committed are we to our practice of reading single stories, rather than whole books, as a group? We did do a whole book when we read Blood and Thunder: The Life and Art of Robert E. Howard as a group, so that's a precedent of sorts.

message 17: by Jim (last edited May 13, 2013 05:41PM) (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 494 comments How about a free, online short story? Any recommendations? There are quite a few here:
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:...

message 18: by Werner (new)

Werner Well, I might be able to work in a public-domain story from that link, especially since I'd have a whole month to do it.

message 19: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed (Maxamed) | 257 comments I have 3 new books by Reh and ordered yesterday Steve Harrison collection. I will be reading several Reh books in June to get my summer reading going.

I can take part in group read, no Uni classes in my way in June.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 494 comments Did anyone else read Otis' Amazon buy out FAQ? It's pretty good.
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...