Hatchepsut: The Female Pharaoh Hatchepsut discussion

I don't understand?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Skylar (new)

Skylar Burris I haven't read it, but I noticed the title -- "THE" female pharoah? What, as if there was only one female pharoah?

message 2: by Meels (last edited Dec 31, 2007 12:41PM) (new)

Meels She was the only female "Pharoah". I'm sure you are thinking of Cleopatra, but she was never "Pharoah", she was Queen and served successively with her two brothers Ptolemy XIII and Ptoleymy XIV and her son Ptolemy XV Caesar. "Pharoah" is the name that was given for the office of Kingship. Hatchepsut actually dressed as a man and took on the role of King, not just ruler, but the male role of King.

message 3: by Rindis (new) - added it

Rindis Actually, as I recall, it's believed there was one other female Pharoah, but she's from early-middle Middle Kingdom (ca. 2000-1650 BC), and not nearly as much is known about her.

Ah, Wikipedia to the rescue: Sobekneferu
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sobekneferu
Her reign lasted about three years, compared to Hatchepsut's 21.

And, yes, those two are pretty much it.

message 4: by Meels (new)

Meels Actually, I stand corrected. Upon further study there seem to have been several female rulers of Egypt that are referred to as Pharaoh. I believe that only Hatchepsut acted as a man, dressed as a man and even wore the male fake beard typical to a Pharaoh... but, I have received my copy of this book and will read on to find out more. Maybe the book itself has some explanation of the title?

message 5: by Rindis (new) - added it

Rindis I would avoid reading too much into the article 'The'. It is a very imprecise word in English. It can assert that something is singular or unique, but it may only be a reference that you are still talking about the same item. Consider, "I went down to the store." 'The store' isn't the only one in existence, but it is the only one I'm talking about. ('The first' or 'the only' would be a much more positive-and in this case, incorrect-assertion.)

And yeah, as far as I know, only Hatchepsut put on... "kingly airs".

Rachel She was one of the worlds most fascinating women! since this book has been written they have finally found her mummy .