Darynda Jones Fans discussion

4thGBMF Book Discussion > Day 1- Home Shopping Taken To The Next Level

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dana, Founder (new)

Dana Alma (Readaholics) | 1174 comments Mod
Charley's self imposed life style has led to a bizarre need to buy everything she sees on the shopping networks, and living on her couch. What was your favorite part about the opening scene with Charley?

message 2: by Ines (last edited Nov 10, 2012 09:37AM) (new)

Ines (Slayraa) | 684 comments Aunt Lillian realising she is dead. Or when Charley explains to Harper why she bough Kiss action figures. I couldn't get that image out of my head!

message 3: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ines wrote: "Aunt Lillian realising she is dead. Or when Charley explains to Harper why she bough Kiss action figures. I couldn't get that image out of my head!"

OMG, Ines, that was so funny. Me too! I found so many great visual descriptions that stayed with me.

Traci (Mad Hatter Reads) (Traci-MadHatterReads) | 609 comments Mod
My favorite was definitely Aunt Lillian too! I loved that she wanted Cookie to know and Cookie just rolls with it.

message 5: by Dana, Founder (new)

The looks Charley kept giving her were so funny.

message 6: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (Vicki_LP) | 217 comments Mod
Oh, defnitely Aunt Lillian! She was highlight of the book for me!

message 7: by Annii (new)

Annii | 126 comments Aunt lil was a crack up!

message 8: by Dana, Founder (new)

Annii wrote: "Aunt lil was a crack up!"
Hello Annii

Was it the first time Charley spoke in depth about Aunt L's travels?

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori K (Lori_k1019) | 1 comments I loved the fact she was wearing star wars pj bottoms lol (stars wars geek here lol)

message 10: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cindymac52) I realize how funny Charley is with her ADD and her need to unleash the "shopping monster" to hide her true feelings. But I was with Cookie. Enough is enough! I think if she could have sat and spoke with someone, I mean really open up and let her emotions out, she would have healed quicker. Sitting and wallowing...even in cute jammies, was NOT good for HER. I wanted to smack her! (But first I would have hidden Artemus)...LOL!

message 11: by Dana, Founder (new)

Cindy wrote: "I realize how funny Charley is with her ADD and her need to unleash the "shopping monster" to hide her true feelings. But I was with Cookie. Enough is enough! I think if she could have sat and s..."

He he!

message 12: by Candie (new)

Candie (candiegyrl) | 350 comments Mod
The visual of Charley sitting in her living room filled with HSN boxes had me cracking up. She took shop-a-holic to a new level. She had so many she lost Mr. Wong!!! Thankfully Cookie and Aunt Lil snapped her out of it. :-)

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (ThirstyFlea) | 223 comments I was just trying to imagine her tiny apartment with so much stuff! Poor Mr. Wong... Loved the scenes with Aunt Lil, and was really curious what crazy items Charley would have bought! I mean, have you seen that channel?!? It was awesome finding out what those items were throughout the book ;-)

Loved also that she was referring to the people taking her orders on the phones as if she really "knew" them, and was planning her schedule around what items were coming up next!

message 14: by Ines (new)

Ines (Slayraa) | 684 comments Stephanie wrote: "I was just trying to imagine her tiny apartment with so much stuff! Poor Mr. Wong... Loved the scenes with Aunt Lil, and was really curious what crazy items Charley would have bought! I mean, have ..."

I'd forgotten about her knowing the order of the products by heart! That's true, so funny! :)

message 15: by Jacki (new)

Jacki C. | 8 comments Aunt Lil just cracked me up

message 16: by Dana, Founder (new)

Ok, wasn't she supposed to be in Cookie's apartment? If so Mr. Wong could not have been there, am I wrong?

message 17: by Ines (last edited Nov 11, 2012 10:26AM) (new)

Ines (Slayraa) | 684 comments Dana wrote: "Ok, wasn't she supposed to be in Cookie's apartment? If so Mr. Wong could not have been there, am I wrong?"

Cookie comes into her apartment and "kicks" Charley out of her sofa and into to hers. That's when Charley mentions she lost Mr Wong, when she comes back to her own apartment.

message 18: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 9 comments I loved the Star Wars pjs and the kiss comment to Harper. I also thought it was a clever and using way to show Charley's stress without totally undermining her pain

message 19: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Ines wrote: "Aunt Lillian realising she is dead. Or when Charley explains to Harper why she bough Kiss action figures. I couldn't get that image out of my head!"

I loved that too Ines. She is so concerned with Cookie finding out she is dead. LOL funny! :)

message 20: by Mel (new)

Mel | 829 comments Although the opening scene is hysterical, DJ does a great job exploring Charley's teetering emotions and her refusal to deal with them...I love how she allows us to laugh while still delving into her hurt and scared emotions.