The Next Best Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Good topic Fiona!

I think I'm a little odd. I really, really hate spoilers in reviews, so if I read a review before starting a book, I only partially read them. Actually, what I do is I check to see how many of my friends have read the book (or have added it), and if they have reviews, I skim them to get a general feel for their opinions, but without actually reading the review. And of course I check the star rating they gave.

When it comes to my own review, I don't have any rules or a set plan, really. (I have been trying to write a review for every book that I've read this year, although I need to go back and write one or two, eventually.) I normally just write down whatever comes into my head as I'm writing the review, and I do use the "private notes" section sometimes to write down thoughts as they come while I'm reading- page numbers, quotes, wannabe profound thoughts, that sort of thing.

I really try not to have to tag my review with spoilers, since I don't like for it to be hidden. If I need to add a spoiler, I will clearly mark it in the review, but generally I am able to skirt around them.

I do not try to summarize the book, normally, as I prefer to write about how I felt about the book, or key parts that really touched me, or even quote from the book rather than retell the story.

So, there's no plan, I just write what I feel like writing. Some come out good, others not so much, but they are honest reviews. If there's one thing I don't like, its a pretentious book review!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ (briansgirlkate) I'll read reviews if it's books or authors I'm not familiar with but I've heard recommened on Goodreads. I've done that recently for Outlander and Odd Thomas. Both are a bit different than what I'd normally read. When it comes to stuff like Harlequins... I just read the back blurbs til I find one that peaks my interest enough to open the book.

As for writing reviews... mine are usually pretty short. I've only put written reviews on a few so far because I only joined last month and I wasn't writing reviews on older books I've read that I put in unless I really remember something (good or bad) about it. I was just sent a book to review by the author that I'll put a longer review on.

message 3: by Alisha Marie (last edited Feb 21, 2009 06:40PM) (new)

Alisha Marie (endlesswonderofreading) | 715 comments I tend to read a lot of reviews on Amazon, but I tend just to read like the first paragraph only since they really do like to spoil the book for you. I also read reviews on GR. It's weird, but if I already own a book that I'm planning on reading, I'll just read the four and five star reviews. It makes me anticipate reading the book more. If I read the 1-3 star reviews, I'll already have this preconceived notion of what not to like from the book. If I skip those reviews, then I tend not to get so paranoid and read over what wouldn't normally bother me had I not read the review.

As for writing my own reviews, I wish that I did it more. I think I've probably written about 5 or 6 reviews on Goodreads. It's just that I can't just jot down what's at the top of my head for reviews (boy, do I wish that I could). I have to plan them as well as reread the inside flap and the blurbs to see whether they were what I thought they would be or not. So, sometimes it's just too much work for me to actually write a review, so I don't write them that often. Usually I just review the ones that left a strong impression on me (including the bad impression [cough:] Twilight [cough:]). The rest I'll try to get through eventually.

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I check reviews before I buy/read a book...but I just scan the good reviews, because I don't want to read to closely and be spoiled, but I also don't care to read bad ones and be influenced by them.

I really only become wary of a book before reading it for myself if its rated below 3.0...and that doesn't happen hardly ever, at least so far.

Like you, I pay the most attention to reviews by my friends. Those are really the only ones that would ever sway me NOT to read a book.

message 5: by Robin (new)

Robin (robinsullivan) | 997 comments Great topic - I don't read the reviews "before" - I do read them after. It is usually someone "talking" about one of the books that gets it on my TBR.

-- Wife of GR author Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

message 6: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Allison wrote: "I check reviews before I buy/read a book...but I just scan the good reviews, because I don't want to read to closely and be spoiled, but I also don't care to read bad ones and be influenced by them..."

I do the same thing.

message 7: by Stef (new)

Stef (buch_ratte) | 650 comments Robin wrote: "Great topic - I don't read the reviews "before" - I do read them after. It is usually someone "talking" about one of the books that gets it on my TBR.

I am like Robin. If people talk a lot about a certain book and they all say "good" things about it, I often go and buy the book to see for myself. But it is the same with books everyone disparages (not sure about the term ), if no one likes it I go and get it anyway to find out if it is as bad as people say.

JG (Introverted Reader) I'll look at my friends's reviews because I know I can trust them to not spoil the book and I can trust their judgments. I read the rest of the reviews after I finish both the book and writing my own review. I'm afraid of having the book spoiled and I don't want my own review influenced by others. I love writing my reviews--I think I've written one for every book I've actually read since joining GR. I also really enjoy seeing how my thoughts on the book compare to others. I've also just recently learned that we can flag someone else's review for spoilers, so I've started doing that too.

message 9: by Selena (new)

Selena (selenacurrently) I read reviews after I've read the book - usually to see if I agree and to see what others thought in general.

As for writing my own reviews, I like to give a little summary and then what I thought of it or felt like it did for me, etc. I agree with you Fiona, if I don't write a review down... it just kind of fades into the woodwork.

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I usually read reviews after I've read a book. I think I mostly want to gage my reaction against others. I don't like reviews that are super long just because they completely outline the plot. I like reviews about feelings and thoughts.
My reviews tend to be rather short. I'm always fearful of sounding silly. I do sometimes write notes to myself that are pretty long, but not usually on my actual reviews. (Becky's are my favorites to read)

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) Awww! Thank you Kandice! *blush*

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avempartha (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)