Prayers for Rain (Kenzie & Gennaro, #5) Prayers for Rain discussion

Is Prayers for Rain a stand alone book?

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Quillracer No, read them in order. The first in the series is 'A Drink Before The War.' You'll have a better understanding of what happens if you know how the characters grew and changed in previous books.
Read them anyway. Lehane is a great writer and this is one of my favorite series, although it is a little dark in some ways.

Ruth Dave wrote: "No, read them in order. The first in the series is 'A Drink Before The War.' You'll have a better understanding of what happens if you know how the characters grew and changed in previous books.
..."

I second that. I love Lehane and have read most of his books. I especially like this series and the characters. Also read Mystic River. Great book.

Quillracer I agree, Ruth. 'Mystic River' is one of the best books I ever read.

Queen Wasp, a heads up. The second book in the series--Darkness, Take My Hand--is one of the most gruesome books you will ever read.

C.C. To offer a different perspective, I had never read any of the books before I read "Prayers for Rain", and I had no trouble with understanding it. I have now purchased the entire series with the exception of "Sacred" and look forward to reading the rest.

Quillracer C.C., grab 'Sacred' one way or the other. As the center piece, if you will, of the series, it sets up a lot that happens in later books. And to be honest, it's probably my favorite in the series. The last one--Moonlight Mile--is the one I liked least.

message 6: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Wenck Love Lehane, but agree about Moonlight Mile. A true waste. The previous stories were far too good for the series to end that way. Started reading him and Crais at the same time. Crais has continued to shine but Lehane seems to have lost interest in these characters.

C.C. Dave wrote: "C.C., grab 'Sacred' one way or the other. As the center piece, if you will, of the series, it sets up a lot that happens in later books. And to be honest, it's probably my favorite in the series...."

Not to worry, my local library has it available as an e-book. I just found the others for a quarter each at a used book sale. I will definitely not be missing out on it.

Quillracer Ray, I too wish Lehane would continue this series. There had to be things happening in the 12 year gap between 'Prayers For Rain' and 'Moonlight Mile.'

This is one series I have re-read several times and will probably do so again in the future.

James Hankins Dennis Lehane is one of my favorite authors, and this series is my favorite of his works (though "Mystic River" is a great book). I agree that the books should be read in order to get their full impact. I do think that you can't go wrong with any of his books, though my least favorite is "Shutter Island." But one of the great things about the Kenzie-Gennaro series, besides Lehane's wonderful writing, is the way the characters and their relationships evolve over the years (more so than some protagonists in detective series), so reading them as a series allows you to take so much more from the books than you could if you read them out of order, or choose not to read some.

message 10: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Wenck Yep. Agreed. I wish there were more but if he writes them like Moonlight Mile I'd rather it end while I'm still thinking it was a good series.

Quillracer Amen, Ray. Moonlight Mile was one of the most disappointing books I have ever read, expecting better from Lehane. I think what really happened was his publisher (or maybe his fans) were pressuring him to write another book in the series, so he cranked out that lame effort to get them off his back.

message 12: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Wenck Could very well be because i seem to remember that he was the author who said he would never write another one because he had to. If he didn't have a good story for his series he wouldn't write another. Guess he gave in. Hope he comes up with a good story though because I like the characters.

Quillracer Me, too. There's so much he could do with those 12 years (as I said before).
A friend suggested he only wrote the series to get established so he could then write the books he wanted to write. If you look on the Stop, You're Killing Me website (www.stopyourekillingme.com), you'll see the first 5 books in the series were written before Mystic River, his first stand-alone.

message 14: by Ray (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ray Wenck Ah! well I can't really blame him for that, but why stop something that was so successful?

Quillracer You got me.