Dystopias and Social Critiques discussion

Race, Gender, Class and Info Technology

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karla (new)

Karla (middleearthtraveller) | 5 comments Looking for books for a class I'm teaching next semester. So far I've got For the Win (Doctorow), Feed (MT Anderson) and REady Player One (Cline--doesn't really fit, but may try to find a way to make it fit). Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Davis (suedavis80) | 3 comments Interesting. What is the class about?

message 3: by Karla (new)

Karla (middleearthtraveller) | 5 comments How Race, Gender and Class intersect with Information technology.

message 4: by Dana * (new)

Dana * (QueenofEgypt) | 32 comments I recommendThe Unit.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee | 2 comments "The Left Hand of Darkness" by Ursula Le Guin features characters that morph between sexes and therefore genders and an Earthman who observers them. Also, Octavia Butler did many books (like Wild Seed) that involve race and enslavement. Both these books are science fiction and involve differing degrees of technology but I don't think the tech is addressed as much more than an setting, as such im not sure if they will be of value to you. I'll be interested in which titles you choose and why.

message 6: by Karla (new)

Karla (middleearthtraveller) | 5 comments So far, I'm thinking: For the Win (Doctorow), Feed (Anderson) and Ready Player One (Cline, also, more for me b/c I like that bood a lot).