UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > World Book Day & Night

Comments (showing 1-44 of 44) (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Nov 10, 2012 05:24AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments For UK authors who have a paperback version of their book(s) available ...

Have you ever done anything for World Book Day or Night? I know they only promote the big names, but have you done anything personally or with other authors? Is there a way indie authors can set up some kind of local platform for their books?

WBD is March 7th (aimed at schools/younger readers)
WBN is April 23rd (aimed at adults)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments No thoughts on this?

message 3: by Jacquelynn (new)

Jacquelynn Luben (JackieLuben) | 256 comments Two of my colleagues and fellow writers from Goldenford Publishers Ltd were invited to our local library last year, along with about another 20 writers. We were dotted around the library at tables, and readers walked from one group to another and talked about their books. They (the readers) also took part in a quiz in which each author had put in a personal story. This meant the readers had to talk to the writers in order to answer the quiz questions. We were all there from 7.00 ish till midnight. It was good fun.

message 4: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments We should start a campaign to get World Book Day/Night to do an Indie version as well! They could be 6 months apart!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments I definitely think there should be an indie version of WBD and WBN!

Maybe something regional or county-level.

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim | 18985 comments Wonder if it would be possible to do something for those who only have ebooks?
I suspect it wouldn't be so straight forward

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Any more thoughts on this, anyone? :)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Bumping this again - as 7th March approaches.

message 9: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24016 comments Dunno really. Would you call it World Ebook Day - or would that sound like a Yorkshire event? Eeee, them books! They're good though, eh?

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim | 18985 comments Ignite wrote: "Dunno really. Would you call it World Ebook Day - or would that sound like a Yorkshire event? Eeee, them books! They're good though, eh?"

So instead of 'Talk like a Pirate' Day, we've got 'E-book authors with mock Yorkshire accent' day?

ey-up, how'd a do?

message 11: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Feb 25, 2013 09:32AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Olde World Ebook Day ;)

(think about it)

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments Oldy Worldy?

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments That's right, Jud ;)

message 14: by Learnin Curve (new)

Learnin Curve (LearninCurve) Erk. The e in middle English is always silent. If you take a phrase like "Ye olde cake shoppe" then it's actually pronounced "The old cake shop", as the Y is actually þ (thorn) which is pronounced "th". Eth in words is just a older version of the thorn. Also wherefore means for what purpose and wall is slang for woman, and hole is slang for *hole* which is why the play within a play in a midsummer night's dream is funny.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Yup, but people pronounce it to accentuate the spelling difference. I think most people know it's not really said the way it is written.

message 16: by Learnin Curve (last edited Feb 25, 2013 11:08AM) (new)

Learnin Curve (LearninCurve) I have been forced to watch 11 year olds perform Shakespeare, it was 2 hours of my own personal circle of hell from which there was no escape. The deep scars I gained from the experience have left me unable to not point out the incorrect use of middle English.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments I have a similar problem when people use the word "quote" when they mean "quotation" ;)

message 18: by Learnin Curve (new)

Learnin Curve (LearninCurve) My dad will be along in a bit to tell me that I should have said "to not point out the incorrect *usage* of middle English"

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24016 comments Ah. I was biting my tongue. I wasn't going to boldly go there!

message 21: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17941 comments Yea, I like totally were gonna point out that you like got like that bit wrong, or whatever.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments lol.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments It's World Book Day!

I'm giving away a copy of The Serpent in the Glass (signed paperback of final 3rd edition published September 2012!)

http://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/sho...

Not as grand an event as I'd hoped for today, but my efforts to find something got nowhere :(

But there's still World Book Night!

message 24: by Jonny (new)

Jonny Gibbings (JonnyGibbings) | 3 comments I'm doing talks today at two schools, one for teens with issues etc. I'm a giver for World Book Night too, (Judge Dredd) so will be leaving copies at surf spots, skate parks and at a school, as well as copies of My book in Bookshops, surf and skate shops and other odd places.

In mine, 10 will have a QR code to a site that guarantees them to be an extra in the film being made of the book.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Now that's good! ;)

message 26: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24016 comments The school my sister works in all dressed up as book characters. Her class were doing something supernatural - can't remember what (well, I'm old!) and she asked me to make her a long black cloak. I also provided a witch's hat and a black top. So apart from the kecks it was MY costume!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments That's worrying, Ignite ;) Do you have a besom too?

message 28: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments You mean you were wearing someone else's kecks????

Gingerlily - All kinds of everything! | 36417 comments What is a besom anyway?

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Ignite will know. She knows all words. I tried to catch her out once, and failed miserably.

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24016 comments I've been called that - but it's a broom.

"Buy broom besoms, buy them when they're new.
Fine heather bred'uns, better never grew."

Folk song.

message 32: by Gingerlily - All kinds of everything! (last edited Mar 07, 2013 09:08AM) (new)

Gingerlily - All kinds of everything! | 36417 comments Oh, nothing to do with bosoms then...

message 33: by Jim (new)

Jim | 18985 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "Oh, nothing to do with bosoms then..."

No so you made a boob there!

message 34: by R.M.F (new)

R.M.F Brown | 4128 comments For the second year running, I've found out about world book day the day after! It's a conspiracy!!

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Yup, but more specifically the twiggy brooms before modern ones came along. I think there's a phrase in the Bible that speaks of the "besom of destruction" if I remember rightly...

I knew Ignite would know!

Sounds like me last year,RMF.

Don't miss World Book Night - because that's not just children's books!

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim | 18985 comments I'm genuinely impressed

Isaiah 14:23
King James Version
23 I will also make it a possession for the bittern, and pools of water: and I will sweep it with the besom of destruction, saith the Lord of hosts.

message 37: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Mar 08, 2013 04:34AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments I'm not just a pretty face...

:)

message 38: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24016 comments I'm saying nowt. Hear me saying it!

message 39: by D.M. Andrews (author) (last edited Mar 08, 2013 08:28AM) (new)

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments hehe

Is that the sound of bundled twigs scraping across a stone floor?

message 40: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24016 comments Could be... ;)

message 41: by R.M.F (new)

R.M.F Brown | 4128 comments D.M. Andrews (GoodReads Author) wrote: "Yup, but more specifically the twiggy brooms before modern ones came along. I think there's a phrase in the Bible that speaks of the "besom of destruction" if I remember rightly...

I knew Ignite w..."

Why does it have to be world book night, why not world book day! I love being pedantic!

message 42: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24016 comments There's one of each.

D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews (DMAndrews) | 1551 comments Opening post.

message 44: by R.M.F (new)

R.M.F Brown | 4128 comments I should really read the start of something...the shame