Bookworms discussion

Authors, Books and Discussions! > Why do we enjoy reading about female detectives?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Long before Mma Precious Ramotswe there was Miss Gadden, fiction's first female detective. Alexander McCall Smith celebrates a new edition of the Victorian novel that gave birth to her

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ent...

message 2: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
Have you read any of McCall Smith's novel? They are good for cozy mystery. I loved the character of Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Neena wrote: "Have you read any of McCall Smith's novel? They are good for cozy mystery. I loved the character of Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi."

I read the first one. That was more of a collection of mystery mixed with a biography of Mma Ramotswe. I loved the book, but it also made me very sad.

message 4: by Neena (new)

I have not read first one but other few. they are not best but good time pass. There's another author Gillian Roberts. Have you read her Emma Howe and Billie August Mysteries. They are female detectives. I have read only 1st in series and it was brillant. I would read others too sometimes.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Neena wrote: "I have not read first one but other few. they are not best but good time pass. There's another author Gillian Roberts. Have you read her Emma Howe and Billie August Mysteries. They are female detec..."

Recco received and will surely check out the books :)

In the first book she describes Africa, which is so heartbreaking. And, there is one part, where after finding a missing child, she remembers her own lost child. That part was very SAD. I immediately had to read a James Patterson to remove my sadness!!!

my review

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 6: by Neena (new)

Yes you got it write. That's the way they are;nice, cozy, simple reads.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

But I do like the female leads. Especially Miss Marple and Kinsey Millhone!! :)

message 8: by Neena (new)

Yes that way there's less violence I think.

message 9: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh I read Heave Wave series By Richard Castle (Ghost) starring Nikki Heat. I didn't like it.

I have only read 2 or 3 miss Marple and she kinda irritated me :D

message 10: by Neena (last edited Jun 12, 2013 09:35AM) (new)

@Anirudh I can't imagine someone disliking miss marple:P, especially you:)

message 11: by Anirudh (new)

Anirudh Well She nags a bit too much :D I generally get irritated by some female characters in her book who speak in italics :D But since that was her intention in the first place...

message 12: by Neena (new)

hahahaha I get your point Anirudh. May be because you are a guy. Every guy who read Christie likes Poiret better than Miss Marple.