Writing Passionates discussion

Journals

Comments Showing 1-42 of 42 (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments I can't have a birthday or christmas without getting one. And I cant leave a bookstore that has them, without atleast looking at them first.

I have several journals on my shelves, all of them each with a differant purpose; some for stories, some for ideas, and one for personal writing, etc.
Anyone else like this? I myself have yet to fill a journal all the way, but I'm working on it. I dont feel to bad for not being able to fill one yet. Jkrowling was on AMC once and she herself even said she had never filled a diary yet, but she has about a hundred of them.

message 2: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I do have a journal and I'm trying to keep up with it... trying to write in it every day. I'm honestly not into the whole journal thing...writing about what happens to me every single day of my life. I do have a notebook for my novel ideas and where I describe my characters, setting, etc...basically a little outline for myself. I also have a journal for writing my poems.

message 3: by Eric (last edited Dec 29, 2007 09:26PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments I know what you mean *laughs* I'm not very good at writing about how my day has been either, so I am really behind on that sort of writing, I have kind of decided to quit trying so hard with that, and just write down how I feel, why I feel that way, and throw in some of my thoughts on certain matters of the world, whether they be political, emo, or just random things that enter my mind.

I have a journal that I write new ideas for stories in too, and I have a few journals I use to outline novels.

message 4: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I use journals to catalog important days for myself. I also have a planner for school that I write in, but that's just for my classes. Although, I do enjoy writing out my stories in journals, that way when I'm older I can always look back on my original ideas - maybe even get a few to use!

message 5: by Eric (last edited Dec 30, 2007 09:10PM) (new)

Eric Scot (youroddfriend) | 12 comments Why wait till your older?

message 6: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
I have a journal and I really only write in in when I have one constant nagging thing on my mind or I am frustraited with somebody or something. I never really have any structure in my writing because I have unlimited topics-as long as they have to do with my life. It is a personal journal and I have never and never will show it to anybody. I don't write things I want to share in there. I save that for my language arts notebook.

message 7: by Ange (new)

Ange I would seriously love to start a journal. But I find everytime I try I lose interest in doing so. I wish there was a way to keep with it. As I have been told by many it would probably help me a lot.
A

message 8: by Candace (new)

Candace (candaceclayton) | 2 comments I treat my personal blog site as a journal. I fill it with inspirational quotes, poems I write and other things of that nature. I am really enjoying it! :)

message 9: by Silvia (new)

Silvia (robin10hood) omg, eric!! i am, like, exactly the same way!!!

i organise everything into little notebooks, and so far i've only filled one up.

not to mention after a while, i am lulled into some sense of laziness and totally neglect writing anything.

message 10: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments I also have a journal that I carry around with me to jot down ideas for scenes in my book.

message 11: by Breezy (new)

Breezy I keep a Journal--I use it for thoughts, poetry,life stories, short stories, etc. I don't have one I use for story ideas, though.

message 12: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Nobody else has a journal?

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I have one. I write in it as much as I can. Personal thoughts, struggles, things that bother me, really anything that's going on in my life.
And I am just like you, Kenzie. I keep journals in my room and my purse! Just in case.

message 14: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Mar 06, 2008 06:37PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) hi! i just joined! i've always had journals but until recently, i'd never finished one cover to cover! i always got bored with a journal because i'd find a new one to bring home! in 2004 i came up w/a system of sorts so that i'd stop getting bored w/journals ~ i bought season themed journals (1 autumn, 1 winter, 1 spring & 1 summer) and i only write in that journal for that particular season (an average of 3 months at a time)! hey, it works for me!

this january i finished my first winter journal & have bought a new one. yes, it took me about 4 winters to finish it, but that's because i also have a blog & i end up using that a lot in some ways as a journal instead.

either way, i don't have a regular journaling schedule and i don't usually write "what i did all day" list type entries! (got up, ate bfast, did laundry, watched tv, etc..) i write about how i'm feeling (physically & otherwise), what i'm reading, what's going on with us (myself & my hubby!), my reactions to things that catch my attention on the news, etc..

anyway, i don't do my fiction/non fiction writing in my journals. i've got spiral bound, unlined sketch books that i use to free write about... what ever comes to me! i started doing this around 2004 or so and i've filled... i don't know how many since they're all over the house, but it's quite a few!

lastly, (i think!) i've got one journal that i keep my lists in, which include any writing/story idea's i come up with.

message 15: by Sean (new)

Sean Little (seanpatricklittle) I kept a journal for a while...but after reading "Got up...ate breakfast...succeeded in not getting hit by a truck yet again...went to sleep." over and over and over...I quit.

I throw whatever energy I would use in writing my lack of a life into inventing a better life for a fictional character. I do like sketch journals, though. I tend to take one when I travel and doodle when I stop for food. It helps me organize ideas for books to sketch characters or action or ideas. They're good for mind mapping, too--which is a practice I've only started recently, but I highly recommend for organization of stories.

message 16: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) Yeah I stopped writing in my daily journal.I just can't do the daily thing because everyday its the same thing.

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 8 comments Eric -- I have the exact same predilection as you when it comes to journals. I have so many fabulous ones that I love and I have NEVER filled one completely!

And mine are all for different things too...one is a "daily" journal, one is an anger release journal (freaky, I know, but my gym doesn't offer kickboxing classes anymore, so I do whatever I can to release the bad energy), I have a writing/story ideas journal where I jot down ideas & do writing exercises, a quote journal for favorite quotes, an inspiration journal where I tack in things that inspire me...the list could go on and on!! Good to see I'm not the only crazy one!

message 18: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I want to join the crazy club! I just need to build up some journals.

message 19: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
I used to keep journals. But I never wrote consistently in them, and I found it hard to keep track, so I stopped. It's hard for me to describe everything that happens to me in words.

message 20: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
I have a journal, but I don't write in it very often--only when there's something really important on my mind. And when I do write in a journal, I find it hard because I don't feel like I'm writing about myself. I feel like I'm writing from another person's perspective, someone who is trying to put my thoughts into words but miserably failing. I don't know. It's hard to describe.

message 21: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I don't write in my journal very often either. I only write when I feel like writing and I'm not working on my stories.

message 22: by Kenzie (new)

Kenzie | 2838 comments Last night I picked up my journal, the one that I catalogued some of my life into, and it was really weird writing. I have one entry per year, and it's so cool to see my vocab expand and my spelling get better. If you have journals from a long time ago you should go through and read them, they are so funny! At least, mine are...

message 23: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Yeah, my old journals are hilarious, too. When I was younger, I didn't really care about what was going on in the world, so all I really wrote was about how much I wanted some new Barbie doll or something. It's funny to see how my mind worked when I was a little kid.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) I'm bad at keeping up on my journal ^-^
But my English class has a writing journal and I'm good at keeping up in that. It's so dang random! I saw someone on a skateboard in a gorilla suit after school and I actually knew him. It was so weird...

message 25: by Brigid ✩ (new)

interesting... lol.

message 26: by Brigid ✩ (new)

yeah. lol. i just don't really like writing about my own life. we had to write autobiographies for my english class this year, and i couldn't think of a single thing to write about. my life is just so ordinary. plus i'm only fifteen, so i haven't seen a lot of life yet. i had to make half of it up... i got an A on it, but only 'cause it was mostly not true. lol.

message 27: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I find it hard to put all the things that happen to me in words. And I don't ever see the point in writing in a journal.

message 28: by Katie (new)

Katie (hockeygoddess) | 8 comments Sella -- A journal doesn't have to be a place you write about what happens to you. I love having journals...in fact I have a number of them going for different purposes. One is the perfect place to vent (I call it my Bitch Book), another I use to brainstorm ideas for stories I want to pitch or write, and another is just for tacking in memories like some people do with a scrapbook (concert tickets, fortunes from a fortune cookie, favorite pictures, etc.) I also have one that I use to write down fabulous quotes that I've come across. I think when it comes to journals, you have to keep an open mind (that's what all those blank pages are for *L*) and not think of them only as a diary!

message 29: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Now that we have newer(ish) members that haven't seen this topic, I thought I would bring it back to life to give them a chance to post, if they want to.

message 30: by Brigid ✩ (new)

okay

message 31: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) I have journals on Microsoft Office Word. XD
Everything's digital nowadays.

message 32: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Haha, it's fun going through my old journals. It's really funny to see all the spelling and grammar errors when I was little, plus the unimportant things I was worrying about. XD

We have a journal in English class, and we're supposed to write how we're feeling in it every time we come in, before class starts, but I don't like to. I feel weird writing about my feelings.

message 33: by Riley (new)

Riley (booksarecool) I write about my feelings but I write them in a strange way. I pretend that I'm talking with a psychiatrist.

So Riley, how do you feel?
I'm really ticked off because Mrs. Olson asked me to tutor Lainie!
Why does that tick you off?
Because my reputation would be ruined. *sobs*

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

my old journals are really lame. they're all like, "la di daaaa i got a new beanie baby today!" nothing really ... interesting. XD

message 35: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

same here!! they're like, "grandma came over to stay today and she stayed in my room. she snores. yuck." haha XD

message 36: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

I first started a journal in 4th grade, and I tore most of it out because I was embarresed that somebody might find it.

message 37: by Brigid ✩ (new)

if somebody found my old diary they wouldn't find anything really embarrassing. like i said, i really only wrote about, like, beanie babies. XD

message 38: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

yeah, mine's mostly stupid stuff too. XD

message 39: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashocalypse) My journals last for two weeks at best. And they're all kind of lame... I feel so embarrassed reading them sometimes.

message 40: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I first started journals in 1988, and kept one steadily until about five months ago. I have filled probably 30 journals in that time. I did it daily. I got tired of writing the same thing everyday, so I stopped. I kept them all, though. I liked looking through them, so I could see how much I have progressed. Well, last year there was a flood in my basement, and I lost all of them. They all got totally flooded. Now I have to start all over again. It is possible, however, that I won't do it everyday so as not to get too bored with it.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

I have a whole ton of journals, i'm almost finished with one too!

message 42: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

That sucks, Randi! :(