Writing Passionates discussion

Reviews & Critiques > This was really annoying

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments ok so in english we had to write a short story in a half and hour to practice for standerdized tests. it had to be about someone who forgot something So mine was about this guy who forgot his knives (he's an assasin) to kill his cousin w/ and he has to find something new reaally quick, then he does.

so he attacks his cousin but the cousin escapes onto the roof leading him into a trap with all this police, then the guy starts thinking oh there's nothing left for me but prison now.

so he jumps up and runs off the roof. that's where it ended.

and then my teacher tols me she thought it was really great but to never write anything like it on the test because it was too dark. and then she says they want something deep in our writing on the test and it sor of was deep-ish and interesting.

but nooooo....

and eveyone in the class loved it...and yeah. its almost like they want us to dumb down our writing for the test....i hate it!

message 2: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 5857 comments Mod
well, you can write whatever you want on the test; it's not like your teacher will ever know. lol.

although, yeah ... usually it's better to write some kind of crap full of corny metaphors. lol. i had to take a test like that ... only it was an essay. so i wrote this thing that had so much figurative language in it, it practically made me throw up. lol. but i got like the highest score possible, so your teacher is probably right. srry.

but on the bright side, you can write whatever you want OUTSIDE of school, right? :D

message 3: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments WOOT! yesh i can....and my teacher is right...the problem is why? why cant we? i mean i write better when I write something like that..

*sigh*

and they are always saying put more figurative language in where it doesnt belong and i hate the sound of it....its like we almost know more about writing thann them! lol

message 4: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Veronica (v_a_b) | 2889 comments Mod
Yeah... I figure that if it doesn't feel right, then it's wrong in some way. Usually, it just doesn't fit with my style of writing.

And before 8th grade, I always felt like I had to modify my writing for school, and I never really wrote anything that I particularly liked. But then I decided that I was sick of being fake when using my truest form of expression, and that year, my writing improved drastically.

message 5: by Brigid ✩ (new)

hmm well maybe you're lucky. whenever i write like ME, my teachers hate it. figures. :(

message 6: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Well, it could partially be that I started writing more stuff outside of school in 8th grade as well. and our projects had fewer guidelines.

message 7: by Brigid ✩ (new)

i see

message 8: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments ah....yeah i agree with brogid the same thing ahppens to me *sigh*

message 9: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

Sella Malin | 4530 comments Mod
i wouldn't know if my teacher hates how i write like ME or not. because we never GET to write ANYTHING ever in english class!! it's always just reading books and writing boring, nonfiction essays about them. its never any writing. *siigh*

message 10: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Aww, you can incorporate your own style into real essays a little bit! I mean, you do anyhow. Your sentence structure mainly, and the way that you use your words, and the type of words you use.

message 11: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments true true

message 12: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Ugh, i had a timed essay today. And I had one two days ago (which was my last class) so that's two timed essays in a row. And this one was a surprise... but at least I didn't get any more homework in that class. But I do have to annotate about seven chapters in the next two days...

message 13: by T.O.L.I. (new)

T.O.L.I. (taleoflostink) | 1770 comments bleh

message 14: by Brigid ✩ (new)

lol!

message 15: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

EyeOfTheStorm|RONI wrote: "Aww, you can incorporate your own style into real essays a little bit! I mean, you do anyhow. Your sentence structure mainly, and the way that you use your words, and the type of words you use. "

True. But still, it's not very fun. It's really boring. :(

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) THat's why I love being in Pace LA He really doesn't CARE as long as it fit the peramiters he sets!

message 17: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I am having a big problem with the story I am writing now. I like the first chapter. I have been on the second chapter for weeks, or maybe even months. I just don't like the feel of it. I want to take my whole second chapter and throw it out the window. I am not sure the people in my group will like it, but I feel like I have to go with my heart on this one. Since it is my story, I feel like I should be able to do what I want with it, right?

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) You have to work in a group? if so that sucks!
I hate having to work in groups.
But you should be able to do what want with your story.

message 19: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) You know, I really like the group I am working with. I really want to keep them, so I think the best thing I can do is to go with my heart. They will be okay with that.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (lettingtheinkdry) yah that sounds good.

message 21: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

If you're really stuck, just skip it and move to chapter 3. you can always come back to ch. 2 later.

Xerxes Break(Vivian Ephona) (ephona) Okay, my response to that Toli is so what? I agree with Brigid on writing out of school things. Dark things are never bad. And maybe that teacher is just too biased about things. Some teachers may not like things like horror and suspense so they don't like it as well as someone who does. My 5th grade teacher loved historical fiction (though I hate it) but my teacher this year is more of a fantasy/horror/suspense kind of guy. And if people in the class liked it then that's the best! Getting your target audience is how it should be done!

message 23: by Kritika (new)

Kritika (spidersilksnowflakes) Sella wrote: "i wouldn't know if my teacher hates how i write like ME or not. because we never GET to write ANYTHING ever in english class!! it's always just reading books and writing boring, nonfiction essays a..."

That's exactly what we do too! It is so boring and bothersome and I HATE IT!!

message 24: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I know, I agree!!

message 25: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

Actually, essays can be kind of fun. :) If you're in the flow. The flow is a must.

And do you ever annotate the books? Like, really annotate them, not just random sticky notes that say, "hyde murdering this random dude is the inciting incident" (which, by the way, it is. :D You guys should read J&H sometime, if you haven't. It's about 80 pages, and it's a classic. There are some very long, descriptive paragraphs that can seem to go on and on, but they are just so wonderful!) By real annotation, I mean finding characterization and explaining it, and motifs, and other fun literary devices. Ooo, and finding passages that create a strong mood. :D Well, that's what I have to do with J&H anyhow. I like reading them aloud. You should try it sometime! Reading descriptive passages aloud is actually really fun!

Haha, I went off topic there. Anyhow, if you think of writing essays as a chance to show the world your opinion without having anybody tell you to shut up, it makes it much more fun.

message 26: by Sella, ov vey! i haven't checked this group in months. >< (new)

I don't like essays. ><

message 27: by Brigid ✩ (new)

eehhh depends on the essay lol

message 28: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Roni wrote: "Actually, essays can be kind of fun. :) If you're in the flow. The flow is a must.

And do you ever annotate the books? Like, really annotate them, not just random sticky notes that say, "hyde mur..."

ooh i had to read J&H! lol. it was purty good .... ;D

message 29: by Veronica, What the neck!? (new)

yup. Have you ever read Brave New World? (I'm trying to get everybody I know to read it. :D It is just that amazing!)

message 30: by [deleted user] (new)

double posts! yayz!

message 31: by Brigid ✩ (new)

ooh ... i'll delete one, because i have ocd. lol

message 32: by Brigid ✩ (new)

and no, i haven't read brave new world ... but i intend to :)

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

"Brave New World" is wondrous. Cf Huxley's other works, some very serious; check out "After Many a Summer Dies the Swan" and if you're anything like me they may have to hospitalize you with shorn stomach muscles (laughter can damage on that level.)

message 34: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Thanks for the recommendation, Stan!