Mostly Literary Fiction Book Discussion Group discussion

When the Elephants Dance (4/09) > When the Elephants Dance

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lemaster (21treehugger) | 36 comments Hi everyone!

I know we are preparing for A Lesson Before Dying (which I've begun and am completely engrossed in), but I have been working on something for our group.

I have been in contact with Tess Uriza Holthe, the author of When the Elephants Dance and her representative with the hope of having her come to our gethering in April. Though she won't be able to physically make it to our group the 2nd Monday of April, she will be able to join our discussion board sometime after April 16th, between 8-10 pm to answer any of our questions and share insights about her book. We are currently working out the exact day and time. I wanted to give you all an early head's up. There will be more information to come soon. I'm so excited!

Have a great weekend everyone!
Michelle

message 2: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments Wow! Michelle! That is great! How wonderful and enriching for all of us lucky ones. I will be looking forward to that date.

You have a wonderful week end too!
Robin

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally (Mostly_Literary) | 72 comments Mod
Michelle - that's super great! (I was thinking of inviting her to come to the Library for an appearance sometime in the future, when we could advertise for a community-wide author talk and book signing. I recall that she lives in the Marin area. This will be a great way for us to get to know her, and explore possibly a bigger event for the future.) Thanks for taking the initiative to pursue this. It will be a treat! (I've heard she is really wonderful.) Keep us posted on the date and time when it gets firmed up. And thanks a million!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lemaster (21treehugger) | 36 comments Hi ladies!
I'm so glad you're both looking forward to it too! I was really hoping she'd say she'd come, but we're not through with her yet!

I like your thinking, Sally, that there could be a future event for our whole library to share.

This might be a fun way to get more of our group onto Goodreads. As soon as we get confirmation (I should hear back early this week), perhaps we should post it as a Goodreads event? Yay! A new and different way to engage our book and each other! Hooray for books!

Talk to you both soon,
Michelle

message 5: by Mathilde (new)

Mathilde Apelt (mathilde_schmidt) | 13 comments I agree with Robin, It's great that you do this for our group. I hope I can attend--things are beginning to pile up for April. Mathilde.

message 6: by Sally (new)

Michelle wrote: "Hi ladies!
I'm so glad you're both looking forward to it too! I was really hoping she'd say she'd come, but we're not through with her yet!

I like your thinking, Sally, that there could be a..."

Is there a live-chat feature on GoodReads? Or do we just do it on the "group discussion" board, where we are now? (Probably.) Great idea, Michelle -- as soon as we have the date and time, we can post it as an event, and invite people to become members of the group so they can participate. Thanks again for pursuing this. One of the great features of an online book discussion network! I'll send out an email to everyone who is on my email alert list for the book group, encouraging them again to join up.

message 7: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments So cool! Reading about this book has encouraged me to explore other books on the subject. I'm very interested in this little know part of history. What an awesome opportunity for us all to "meet" the author. Exciting stuff!

message 8: by Mathilde (new)

Mathilde Apelt (mathilde_schmidt) | 13 comments About the Elephant book by Tess Uriza Holthe; I haven't read it yet. I am now involved in another book by Ernest J. Gaines: "Miss Jane Pittman." I had that one standing on my shelf and never read it. Now I'm motivated by having read "A Lesson Before Dying." It is not easy (for me) to read because of the dialect in dialogue. It's gripping, though, right from the beginning. Mathilde.

message 9: by Sally (new)

I found an interesting short video of Tess Uriza Holthe on YouTube - of special interest is the author's description of her childhood and bustling San Francisco household, which precedes a brief reading from the book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwKfrc...

message 10: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments Thanks Sally! I enjoyed that video very much. What an interesting and lively childhood she had!

message 11: by Mathilde (new)

Mathilde Apelt (mathilde_schmidt) | 13 comments Dear Sally and Michelle, I saw the movie too, it is great. And her first novel, WOW. She had to go through a lot! Now this is a menoir, I presume? Mathilde.

message 12: by Sally (new)

Mathilde wrote: "Dear Sally and Michelle, I saw the movie too, it is great. And her first novel, WOW. She had to go through a lot! Now this is a menoir, I presume? Mathilde."

Hi Mathilde - When the Elephants Dance is a novel, based on family stories and family experience. It is our April selection, which I highly recommend - especially now in light of us having an opportunity to chat online with the author! Another book to add to your list!

message 13: by Mathilde (last edited Mar 13, 2009 06:19AM) (new)

Mathilde Apelt (mathilde_schmidt) | 13 comments Sally, I am still reading "the Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. that's pretty gripping, too. A\lso trying to read the next selection for March. Mathilde. Busy in Castro Valley!

message 14: by Sally (new)

Mathilde wrote: "Sally, I am still reading "the Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman. that's pretty gripping, too. A\lso trying to read the next selection for March. Mathilde. Busy in Castro Valley!"

Hi Mathilde - that's great. I'd like to read that book, too. I hope you can read the Big Read selection, A Lesson Before Dying. It's very worthwhile, and there will be other opportunities to discuss it (in addition to our meeting on the 9th, it will be discussed at the Weekes Branch Library, for their Globetrotter's Book Group, on the last Tuesday of the month).

message 15: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lemaster (21treehugger) | 36 comments Mathilde wrote: "Dear Sally and Michelle, I saw the movie too, it is great. And her first novel, WOW. She had to go through a lot! Now this is a menoir, I presume? Mathilde."

Well I need to see this video too! It looks like we're all brushing up for our big event! Let's keep sharing our finds. She also has a website that's how I first became inspired to contact her! I guess I have a date with youtube tonight!

Michelle

PS I love everyone's contageous excitement!

PPS Have you all finished A Lesson Before Dying? What a riveting book. I'm just about done and would have so sooner, were there not so many things going on in my life right now!!

Michelle

message 16: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments Thanks for the web site recommendation. I will check it out. No, I haven't finished, "A Lesson Before Dying". I did enjoy the CD of the readings and the interview information that Sally gave to all of us. I have also ordered the movie on Netflix to arrive next week when I am (hopefully) finished with the book. Fun, exciting stuff going on.

message 17: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Lemaster (21treehugger) | 36 comments I'm on the very last chapter. I've been reading through tears. The second to last chapter filled with Jefferson's journal entries was too much.

I'm curious, I haven't yet listened to the cd, is it the WHOLE book on cd?

I want to watch the movie when I'm done. Pretty soon. If there's time, I just might get to this weekend.

You're right. Lots of fun exciting stuff going on!

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin | 52 comments Thanks for warning me about the tears. I like to be prepared since I can be a cry baby. The CD is not the book on tape, but interesting people quoting parts of the book. Also the author speaks. I think it is a total of around 15 minutes, enough to spark your interest and whet your appetite for the book and learning more about the author.

Can't get enough of books! : )