YA LGBT Books discussion

Totally Off Topic > US Election results positive for LGBT Rights.

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kaje (last edited Nov 08, 2012 07:45AM) (new)

Kaje Harper | 14472 comments I wanted to post something here to celebrate the fact that so many LGBT-positive results happened in this round of elections. We really are at a watershed in this country I believe, going in just ten years from having 55% opposed to gay marriage and 35% in favor to passing three gay marriage amendments by popular vote on Tuesday.

With a nod to Thorny for totally ripping off his list because I'm lazy, here are some of the wins:

As a nation, we re-elected the President who stood up in his first term in office, before running for re-election, and said gay and lesbian Americans should have the right to marry the person they love.

In Wisconsin, Tammy Baldwin became the first openly gay person to be elected to the U.S. Senate, and openly gay small business owner Mark Pocan will fill Baldwin’s vacated seat in Congress.

In California, Mark Takano (a teacher!) became the first openly gay Asian-American in Congress.

In Rhode Island, openly gay congressman David Cicilline was reelected, as was Jared Polis of Colorado.

In New York, Sean Patrick Maloney became that state’s first openly gay person elected to Congress.

In Arizona, Kyrsten Sinema could become the first openly bisexual woman elected to Congress when the results are finally tallied.

In Minnesota, voters defeated an anti-gay marriage measure - the first state to say NO to the one-man-one-woman definition of marriage in a popular vote.

In Maine, Maryland, and Washington state, for the first time in the history of the United States the voters — not judges or a legislature — legalized gay marriage.

message 2: by BJ (new)

BJ (heresjohnny) | 381 comments Maybe we should get Obama and our PM Gillard over here to shack up for a bit... talk some sense into her. Australia is so far behind...

message 3: by Susan65 (new)

Susan65 Proud to be a Marylander.

message 4: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Brand (Caroline210570) | 2 comments Best news :-)

message 5: by Rach. (last edited Nov 09, 2012 03:43AM) (new)

Rach. S | 1728 comments BJ wrote: "Maybe we should get Obama and our PM Gillard over here to shack up for a bit... talk some sense into her. Australia is so far behind..."

Yeah except Obama is kinda sexy hot and Gillard.....hmmm...ummm...well...not so much. Pretty typical of the average Australian really hahaha ;) jks

message 6: by Rach. (last edited Nov 09, 2012 03:42AM) (new)

Rach. S | 1728 comments But seriously, Yaaaaaay! Go America!! (some bits of anyway) :D

message 7: by Torsten (new)

Torsten (Khasra) | 501 comments BJ wrote: "Maybe we should get Obama and our PM Gillard over here to shack up for a bit... talk some sense into her. Australia is so far behind..."

It's not just Australia falling behind.
We do currently have civil partnerships in Germany with all the obligations and almost none of the rights of married people.

message 8: by K (new)

K (K-polipetl) | 4090 comments We too have civil partnerships, which do give same sex couples pretty much the same rights as married couples (whether they be married in church or in a registry office ceremony)

Though one of the differences comes when you become uncivilised (as opposed to divorce) where you can't state adultry as a ground to disolve a civil partnership.

Sadly though it was hoped to move to full gay marriage in the UK in the near future the newly appointed Archbishop of Canterbury is not in favour and that might hold things up.

message 9: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14472 comments That's unfortunate. Single people in power can do a lot to help or hinder, that's for sure. (One of the reasons putting Obama in was so critical.) I doubt religious leaders can stem the civic tide longterm though, so we'll keep hoping.

Not having Adultery as divorce grounds wouldn't be a big thing here, I don't think, since there are usually other options, but it's an interesting omission. In Canada gay marriage did not require residency, but divorce laws did, which had to be addressed after the fact.

In Minnesota we have no marriage or civil unions either - Project 515 was named for the number of rights married couples have in MN that same sex couples do not. The group worked hard against the One-men-one-woman amendment, and now will continue to work for gay marriage.

Here's hoping it comes soon for all of us.

message 10: by Tammy K. (last edited Nov 14, 2012 12:00PM) (new)

Tammy K. (Rambles_of_a_reader) As a Washington state resident, and a member of the LGBT community, I will say that I am proud of my state and its' citizens for voting to confirm gay marriage rights.
Please note that gay marriage rights are won, state by state and that Marriage is not regulated, controlled, or legalized in any way by the Federal Government and this includes the President.
It is a state's privilege to define its laws on marriage. There is no "federal" marriage rights, never has been.
It took my state's citizens decades of winning over the general population views and acceptance. We marched (mostly politely), signed petitions, and had countless hours of community awareness efforts all over my state.
First we achieved the civil union, then slowly we pushed towards legally accepted state marriage.
Yes we had lots of obstructions not the least of which were the 'one man one woman amendment' but they did not stop us.
By working with the general population citizens we were able to reach out, connect, share hearts and goals and unite for the common good.
I hope that one day each of our 50 glorious states pass laws that include Gay Marriage in their states citizens rights.
Each state's citizens will need to appeal to their fellow (state) citizens' better sense of reason.
For my state it was a slow dance with a persistent suitor, but we won the hearts and support of our partners (the general population). And now we are proof that the 'slow dance' can win you a partner.
To quote my grandfather "You win more bees with honey then you ever will with vinegar."

message 11: by Kaje (new)

Kaje Harper | 14472 comments Congratulations to everyone in the states who made that historic step forward.

Hopefully it will be our turn soon in Minnesota. With a more favorable atmosphere and having defeated the one-man-one-woman amendment here, we are energized to keep working for it.