Indie Book Collective discussion

Longevity (Longevity Law Enforcement, #1)
This topic is about Longevity
Help > Soliciting opinions on cover, please

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by S.J. (last edited Nov 16, 2012 05:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.J. | 14 comments Hi everyone, I have my trilogy complete, although I will probablly be adding more stories. Before I published my first, I searched the offerings of some cover designers and the photo stock sites and couldn't find anything I really liked. No inspiration. My idea was for something different, something colorful with "pop," and the dog, which is essential. He is an important character. The other covers in the trilogy are very similar - providing a branding of sorts - with changes in background color and texture.

I like my covers but the readers who have read my books (and liked them, I'm so glad to hear) have not commented one way or the other. My books are in the hard SF category.

I understand fully, by the way, that the cover makes the first impression and should look professional or it reflects badly on the book.

Please, will someone give me an opinion on this cover, and if you would include whether you are a hard SF reader that would be much appreciated?
In short, is my cover holding my book back, or are you like me, and you'll check out any book with a dog on the cover? Thanks so much, Sheila

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (Technohippy) | 494 comments Sorry I don't have anything positive I can say about your cover, the main issues I see are:

1. It isn't interesting, your cover should set the scene for the story.

2. It isn't legible at small sizes. The font your using has little spacing, so the letters merge into each other. The strap line also disappears at small resolutions.

3. I see what you're trying to do with the sequencing and dog image, but I don't think it really comes across very well. It's not obvious that the dog is actually a police dog.

4. You need to use colour more, the background doesn't work well with the black text.

Sorry to be so harsh, but I really think you can do something much stronger to attracts your readers.

message 3: by Barbie (new)

Barbie Herrera (barbiesway) | 14 comments S.J. wrote: "Hi everyone, I hve my trilogy complete, although I will probablly be adding more stories. Before I published my first, I searched the offerings of some cover designers and the photo stock sites an..."

I can't make out or understand what's in the white box. I would have maybe a lightened background of a city street (example Preston Fleming's Star Chamber Brotherhood with the street running down middle of page) then with the dog, a real dog, sitting facing front in the middle of the street, larger than normal so it is not in correct perspective. However you describe the dog in the book have the dog looking like that.
Or have a shadowed man with the shadowed dog sitting next to him as the man holds the leash and the only visible and stand out thing is a badge on the man or the man could be holding out a wallet with the badge in it. The wallet and badge larger and standing out a bottom of book cover.
I agree the text needs to be in a easier to read font. so when it is small people can still read it.
JMHO!
Best of luck to you,
Barbie
(Martha Emms)

S.J. | 14 comments Michael wrote: "Sorry I don't have anything positive I can say about your cover, the main issues I see are:

2. It isn't legible at small si..."

Hi, criticisms very well taken, although one is not pertinent (i.e. the police dog isn't meant to be a police dog, but a silhouette of Louie, who has a very specific body type as described in the book. Having the type of dog on the cover match the description in the book may not be important for some people, but something that always matters a lot to me, and has caused a lot of difficulty in terms of finding useable pictures.) Harshness okay, especially if the reasons for it are so well specified. Something to work on, Thanks!

S.J. | 14 comments Barbie wrote: "S.J. wrote: "Hi everyone, I hve my trilogy complete, although I will probablly be adding more stories. Before I published my first, I searched the offerings of some cover designers and the photo s..."

Hi Barbie, Thanks much for the suggestions. I like them and will do my best to follow! I can see how that would be more intriguing. Thanks again, Sheila

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (Technohippy) | 494 comments S.J. wrote: "Michael wrote: "Sorry I don't have anything positive I can say about your cover, the main issues I see are:

2. It isn't leg..."

No problem, hopefully some of it is useful for you.

message 7: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 52 comments Here are my thoughts:

1) Change the gradient background into something more interesting
2) Drop the white box which takes up too much space, is too cryptic (I have no idea what it's there for--it makes it look more like a textbook cover than a novel), and clashes visually with the rest of the cover
3) Change the subtitle to make it have some connection to the dog on the cover (something like: "Sentient Dog on the Case" or something else fits your series). Longevity and "speculative biotech thriller" seem to have no connection to the dog image. All the elements should work together to present a unified message.
4) OR consider dropping the dog altogether because it doesn't really have much appeal to the average sci-fi reader (it makes me think this is a typical dog story at first glance like Benji or Old Yeller or Shiloh). I know it's important to your story, but if I were you, I'd drop it and focus more on "biotech" type images. I think those would sell your book a lot better and not send the mixed messages your current cover does. You can put the dog stuff in your description.
5) But if you keep the dog, go with a photo and not a silhouette. If you can't find a photo you like, get one that's close and manipulate it until it looks like what you want.
6) Drop "a novel by" from the cover. We just need the title and your name.
7) Change the font. Just find the font of some sci-fi book you like and use that.

By the way, I think the idea of getting feedback on covers is a great idea. Maybe I'll make another thread so that other authors can ask for feedback as well.

Hope these comments were helpful.

message 8: by S.J. (last edited Nov 16, 2012 05:32PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.J. | 14 comments D.J. wrote: "Here are my thoughts:

1) Change the gradient background into something more interesting
2) Drop the white box which takes up too much space, is too cryptic (I have no idea what it's there for--it ..."

Hi D.J. Lots of good advice and I spent most of the day redoing the cover and trying to use my responders' ideas. Thanks very much to you and everyone who took the time to examine my cover and offer advice. Sheila

S.J. | 14 comments Thanks once again. My new cover is basically finished. I'd close this thread now if possible but not sure how. If you'd care to advise on that, now...

message 10: by Richard (new)

Richard Blinn | 3 comments S.J. wrote: "Hi everyone, I have my trilogy complete, although I will probablly be adding more stories. Before I published my first, I searched the offerings of some cover designers and the photo stock sites a..."

S.J. wrote: "Hi everyone, I have my trilogy complete, although I will probablly be adding more stories. Before I published my first, I searched the offerings of some cover designers and the photo stock sites a..."

I like SF. If i saw this cover on the shelf it would not communicate SF to me.

message 11: by S.J. (last edited Nov 22, 2012 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.J. | 14 comments Richard wrote: "S.J. wrote: "Hi everyone, I have my trilogy complete, although I will probablly be adding more stories. Before I published my first, I searched the offerings of some cover designers and the photo ..."

Hi Richard,
I just uploaded my new cover yesterday, hopefully after you wrote your email. Please, if you would, check it out. (It is now at the top of this thread, so I guess they update automatically, which might confuse people. Thanks so much for your comment, Sheila

message 12: by D.J. (new)

D.J. Edwardson | 52 comments Great job! New cover is 100 times better. How did you come up with something that good that fast?

The only thing I might change is to make the title a little bit bigger so it's easier to read in thumbnails.

Otherwise it's top notch. Well done.

message 13: by S.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.J. | 14 comments D.J. wrote: "Great job! New cover is 100 times better. How did you come up with something that good that fast?

The only thing I might change is to make the title a little bit bigger so it's easier to read in t..."

Hi D.J. Thanks for the encouragement. I got lucky on an RF search. I definitely agree on the size of the title, but I was doing the two other covers of the trilogy as well and I ran out of graphics creative energy (I have a much lower threshold on that than I do for writing). Re-sizing is on my todo list. Thanks so much to everyone. Sheila

message 14: by S.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.J. | 14 comments P.S. I do miss Louie, the dog, a little though.

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Brookes (Technohippy) | 494 comments The new cover looks good. I agree with D.J. on making the title a bit bigger and to make it pop from the page a little.

The tag line at the also needs bringing out a bit as the white text gets lost in the vertical light.

Nice work.

message 16: by S.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

S.J. | 14 comments Michael wrote: "The new cover looks good. I agree with D.J. on making the title a bit bigger and to make it pop from the page a little.

The tag line at the also needs bringing out a bit as the white text gets los..."

Gotcha. Will try to work on those suggestions. Thanks much, Sheila