Shoujo Manga Book Club discussion

Recommendations > Shoujo Recommendations

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

If you've read a great shoujo series that we haven't read as a group, recommend it here! I know we haven't even come close to covering every shoujo series, and sometimes there are obscure series that you love but nobody has heard of.

message 2: by Harshini (new)

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 451 comments *peep* I don't have any to recommend, but looking for the recommendations :)

message 3: by Asma Al Ali (new)

Asma Al Ali | 8 comments Kamisama kiss is quite good as shoujo.
Skip beat my favourite

message 4: by Yue (new)

Yue | 67 comments The Wallflower! Both manga and anime. Sunako-chan rules.

Two very sweet and short: Orange Marmalade and 14歳の恋 1.

message 5: by Mary (new)

Mary (LeafMary) | 48 comments Asma M. 523 wrote: "Kamisama kiss is quite good as shoujo.
Skip beat my favourite"

i have to second that. The heroine isnt stupid and Tomoe is just amazing

message 6: by Mary (new)

Mary (LeafMary) | 48 comments Would Tsubasa RC count? it has some romantic elements and the whole thing is a tale about sacrificing everything to save the one you love.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd say Tsubasa RC is both Shoujo and Shounen. It has features from each. It's got romance and action, which makes it neither one nor the other, but rather both.

message 8: by Harshini (new)

Harshini  Ramanujam (watchmeread) | 451 comments Yes I love manga like that :)

message 9: by Mary (new)

Mary (LeafMary) | 48 comments Wednesday wrote: "I'd say Tsubasa RC is both Shoujo and Shounen. It has features from each. It's got romance and action, which makes it neither one nor the other, but rather both."
yay! i love that series. first one i ever was allowed to read

message 10: by Asma Al Ali (new)

Asma Al Ali | 8 comments Sakura Yue wrote: "The Wallflower! Both manga and anime. Sunako-chan rules.

Two very sweet and short: Orange Marmalade and 14歳の恋 1."

Sakura Yue wrote: "The Wallflower! Both manga and anime. Sunako-chan rules.

Two very sweet and short: Orange Marmalade and 14歳の恋 1."

Is Orange Marmalade the same as Marmalade boy?

message 11: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments This is Orange Marmalade: Orange Marmalade by Seok Woo. It's a manhwa and I think it's a romance.

message 12: by Mary (new)

Mary (LeafMary) | 48 comments cynical orange. its a manwha

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Gilham (Naruto4Hokage) | 62 comments There was one manga that I really enjoyed called Rec The Day I Cried.
Saddest book ever, but was amazing.
I also suggest these:
Auto Focus
Aoi Kiseki
Ichigo Channel
Good morning call
14R
Kimi Ga Suki
Hana Kimi
16 Life
Koko ni iru yo
Beast Master
Ice Revolution
La Corda D'oro
Penguin Revolution
Love in the Mask
Idol Shopping
Boy of the Female Wolf
Happy Hustle High
24 colours
Mars
Hiyokoi
Karakuri Odette
Boys over flowers
Honggane
My Boyfriend is a Vampire
Cutie Boy
Wait! Wolf!
He's dedicated to Roses
Alice in the country of hearts

And lots more

message 14: by Kharthiyaa (new)

Kharthiyaa | 5 comments Here are a few manga recommendations i hv more but these are ones i most enjoyed or so:

Kitchen Princess
Dengeki Daisy
Kobato
Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne
Tsubasa Those With Wings

I hv more suggestions but a few hv alrdy been listed above so i wont repeat those ones again ^^

message 15: by Tulika (new)

Tulika (Yuvaine) | 6 comments Asma M. 523 wrote: "Kamisama kiss is quite good as shoujo.
Skip beat my favourite"

These two.

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited May 18, 2013 01:43PM) (new)

Bokura ga ita.
Nana.
Dengeki Daisy.
Ao Haru Ride.
Shinobi Life.
Strobe Edge.
Orange.
these are my favourites..any manga giving the same feel as Bokura ga ita please?

message 17: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments I've only read a few volumes of Bokura ga ita(We Were There, Volume 1), so this recommendation might not be accurate, but I think you should try Sand Chronicles, Vol. 1. It's one of the more serious, dramatic shoujo manga.

HaveYouSeenThisGirL Denny | 2 comments Kristen wrote: "I've only read a few volumes of Bokura ga ita(We Were There, Volume 1), so this recommendation might not be accurate, but I think you should try Sand Chronicles, Vol. 1. It's one of the more seriou..."

I really want to try Sand Chronicles but I cant find anyone here selling that manga T^T That's by Hinako Ashihara right?

message 19: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1392 comments Yes, it's by Hinako Ashihara. And if you can't it in a store, there's always the internet :)

message 20: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1858 comments Mod
HaveYouSeenThisGirL wrote: "I really want to try Sand Chronicles but I cant find anyone here selling that manga"

Try rightstuf.com. They have some of the out-of-print stuff too, so it's likely you can find it there.

message 21: by Jamie (new)

Jamie (Juvia_winter) | 195 comments Skip Beat
Hana-Kimi
Sailor Moon
Tail of the Moon
Black Bird

message 22: by Winnie (new)

Winnie Wong | 2 comments Fushigi Yuugi
Moe Kare
Shinobi Life
Black Bird
Beast Master
Say I Love You
Orange
Kamisama Kiss

message 23: by Awesome (new)

Awesome Klar | 1 comments Kaichou wa Maid sama
black bird
B.o.d.y.
kamisama kiss
dengeki daisy
earl and fairy
special a
stepping on roses
nana
library wars
la cordo doro

message 24: by Gustavo (last edited May 09, 2015 06:50PM) (new)

Gustavo | 1 comments Kimi no iru machi is an awesome manga, we see the character since they are in high school until they graduate from the university. Also I recommend koi to uso the story is awesome.

message 25: by Hijacked Fangirl (last edited Jun 13, 2015 07:05AM) (new)

Hijacked Fangirl (HijackedFangirl) | 1 comments Stardust Wink
Tsubasa to Hotaru
Hibi Chouchou
KYOU NO KIRA-KUN

message 27: by Merb (new)

Merb | 3 comments If you haven't read From Far Away yet go read it now! It's seriously amazing and so unappreciated in my opinion. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

message 28: by Mary (new)

Mary (LeafMary) | 48 comments Merrberr wrote: "If you haven't read From Far Away yet go read it now! It's seriously amazing and so unappreciated in my opinion. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it."

OMG YES. From Far Away NEEDS a reprint. Currently on volume 8 and I cannot get enough of it! :D

message 29: by Merb (new)

Merb | 3 comments Mary wrote: "Merrberr wrote: "If you haven't read From Far Away yet go read it now! It's seriously amazing and so unappreciated in my opinion. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it."

OMG YES. From Far Aw..."

I totally agree! It's such an amazing story with gorgeous art! And it's very addictive right?

message 30: by Mary (new)

Mary (LeafMary) | 48 comments Merrberr wrote: "Mary wrote: "Merrberr wrote: "If you haven't read From Far Away yet go read it now! It's seriously amazing and so unappreciated in my opinion. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it."

OMG YES..."

It sure is!!! And I adore the main couple. Noriko is not some badass and yet she is such a likeable character. She uses her brain unlike most characters and she and Izark are one of the few couples that make me have FEELS when reading.

message 31: by Merb (new)

Merb | 3 comments Mary wrote: "Merrberr wrote: "Mary wrote: "Merrberr wrote: "If you haven't read From Far Away yet go read it now! It's seriously amazing and so unappreciated in my opinion. I really enjoyed it and highly recomm..."

I totally agree with you! The romance in From Far Away is so amazing. It's so well paced and thought out. I feel like there is so much depth to the romance. I love it! I agree so many feels!

message 32: by Fii (new)

Fii | 2 comments I definitely recommend Orange by Ichigo Takano, it is a romance and it is amazing. It's a very touching and tragic story. All of the characters are loveable.

message 33: by Thetravelingpanda (last edited Dec 05, 2015 12:44AM) (new)

Thetravelingpanda | 20 comments I just finished to re read Princess Ai Princess Ai: Destitution and thought some of you guys might like it, it's a manga in three volumes (although there is a spin off that has currently two books), it's about a girl Ai who fled from heaven and fell on earth. As she tries to developp her angelic power she becomes a rockstar in Tokyo. I loves this story so much when I first read it, and even now I still adore it. Do try it, it's worth the time!

message 34: by Selena (new)

Selena (sailorstar165) | 1858 comments Mod
Thetravelingpanda wrote: "I just finished to re read Princess Ai Princess Ai: Destitution and thought some of you guys might like it, it's a manga in three volumes (although there is a spin off that has curren..."

The second series will only ever have three books, I think. Even though Tokyopop has become a zombie company (it went out of business and then rose from the grave), I don't think they've actually published anything new in years... just sold reprints online of their OEL stuff.

Thetravelingpanda | 20 comments Selena wrote: "Thetravelingpanda wrote: "I just finished to re read Princess Ai Princess Ai: Destitution and thought some of you guys might like it, it's a manga in three volumes (although there is ..."

Yeah I saw that two. It's quite sade because as a child I loved their mangas they had a really large selection but they had stopped a lot of series without any reasons....

message 36: by Miku (new)

Miku | 17 comments 贄姫と獣の王 #1
長歌行 1 Chang Ge Xing 1
I would like to recommend the two books I love right now. Niehime to Kemono no Ou and Chang Ge Xing.

Niehime is a new shoujo manga so it is still not complete but hope everyone can check it out. I would also recommend:
The Ancient Magus' Bride, Vol. 1
Princess and the Three Beasts 1
Romantic Dream
Ingenuo, Vol. 1
王子的仙人掌 1 Wang zi de xian ren zhang 1
儷人蠻 1 Li Ren Man 1

message 37: by Miku (last edited Aug 18, 2016 07:54AM) (new)

Miku | 17 comments Merb wrote: "If you haven't read From Far Away yet go read it now! It's seriously amazing and so unappreciated in my opinion. I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it."

I know. From Far Away is one of my most fave manga. The art, world building, characters and the story are just amazing. They are all likeable. Izark X Noriko Forever!! By the way have you read Miriam? It is written by the same mangaka and deeply enjoy this.
Miriam Vol. 1

message 38: by Amber (new)

Amber (AmberTerminatorofgoodreads) Kitchen princess is pretty good so far. Have only read the 1st of ten volumes though. Hope to read more of the manga soon.

message 39: by Arashi (new)

Arashi (arashisenpai) | 1 comments B.O.D.Y., Paradise Kiss, Hot Gimmick, Wish, The Wallflower, Love Berrish!, 24 Colors, Peach Girl, Fall In Love Like A Comic, Peppermint, Wanted, Orange Kiss, Delicious Study, Gokinjo Monogatari, Nana, Caramel Milk Tea, We Were There, Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai.