Books I Want To Talk About discussion

Archives > Thirteenth Tale Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rose Ann (new)

Rose Ann The following is a major spoiler question, so please do not read this, if you have not read or finished the book.....

SPOILER....

At the end, I couldnt figure out who Vida actually saved from the fire....was it Emmeline or Adeline? After reading other discussions, I see that I did not miss it...it was never told. I would hope it was Emmaline, but sadly, I believe it was Adeline.
Also, never expected Miss Winter to be who she turned out to be...all of my theories went out the window...LOL
I cant imagine growing up with no name, no identy...just being a shadow.
Through most of the book, I thought there actually was going to be a ghost in the storyline.
It all made sense after the fact...like when Hester saw two girls playing in the field, but it couldnt possibly be Adeline & Emmeline, because Adeline was at the doctor's house. And the shadow episodes, spying from bookshelves, etc.
Anyway...it was all defenitely a mystery to me...to the very end.

message 2: by Pandora (new)

Pandora I don't have my copy to refer to but, I think the twin that was rescue was the mean one. I believe that was Adeline.

message 3: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore | 141 comments Mod
It was intentionally left unclear by the author. I think Ms. Winter was never sure, but one could find little things to support one view over the other. I think Ms. Winter was treating "Emmeline" well in case it truly was her. "Emmeline's" reaction when introduced to Aurelius could be interpreted as coming from either twin.

message 4: by Edward (new)

Edward (dword) | 14 comments Ade- or Emme- line: Didn't matter to my enjoyment of the book, could have been either.

No name/identity for shadow girl: I agree, I can't imagine it. One of the more outlandish features of the plot.

My conclusion: Anything can happen in a fairy tale and there were lots of fairy tale elements in the story - Mrs Love's cottage, big Aurelius, shadow people, etc., but lots of modern nitty gritty too - self mutilation, mental illness, incest, rape, -actually all that can be found in fairy tales too.