Movies We've Just Watched discussion

American Gangster

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tina (new)

Tina I just saw this movie based on the real life heroin kingpin Frank Lucas who ran a drug empire in the late 60s early 70s.

I really enjoyed this movie and it has everything to do with Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe. The thing is Denzel's charm made this man so likable that it is easy to overlook the fact that in real life Frank Lucas is quite a monstrous figure. The New York Magazine article written in 2000 that the was the inspiration for the movie paints quite a different picture of the man than how Washington portrays him.

It is really a shame. The man was obviously smart and had balls of steel. If he'd turned his talents to legitimate endeavors he's probably be a captain of industry by now. Of course racism, poverty and lack of opportunity may have stymied him but I can't help but think that this man who thought so much outside the box would have overcome.

On the other hand, it was also depressing to see that no matter how awful the gangsters are, law enforcement was not much better and in many ways much worse.

message 2: by Robert (new)

Robert | 51 comments Thanks for the link to the original article.
I agree that Crowe and Washington are both very good in the film, but aside from them, I think it's at best a very average gangster story. The contrast between the two narrative lines only served to disguise the fact that neither of them would have been strong enough to carry an entire film on its own.

message 3: by Charissa (new)

Charissa (dakinigrl) I enjoyed the presence of Denzel and Russell on screen, as usual, but felt like this film was an hour too long. Disappointing because I usually love Ridley Scott, but in this case he seemed to have fallen in love with the sound of his own brain clapping in the forest. It's three hours I would take back given the chance.

message 4: by Katie (new)

Katie | 1 comments I thought out of the two stars though, Russell put in the best performance. Everything about his acting in it was so subtle, that i seemed to forget that i was watching a super star. Thats what i really love about RC.

Denzel was brilliant, but there really werent as many moments that i forgot it was Denzel playing Frank Lucas.

I really really enjoyed this film though. Possibly the best movie i have seen all year. I also loved the rappers that were in the movie. I thought, how cool for them to be in such a serious film with such amazing leading actors, about a lifestyle that they base a lot of their art around.

message 5: by Theresa (new)

Theresa  (tsorrels) My husband and I just watched this movie a couple of weeks ago. I thought it was okay - not really worthy of all the great press it received. Maybe that is because I don't really care for gangster movies... It was too long.

I really enjoyed Russell Crowe's performance in it, though. Did he put on weight for the movie or has he just put on weight in general?

message 6: by Tressa (new)

Tressa  (moanalisa) I love me some Russel Crowe, and he didn't disappoint in this movie. Was he sexy or what? Even with that '70s butt-cut.

I agree with a PP about Denzel's performance. He didn't seem a natural; it was obvious he was "acting" the part. But I feel this way about all Denzel's performances. IMO, he's just not that good.

My husband and I couldn't wait for this movie to be over. We popped it in about 10:30 and I thought it would be over by 12:30. But it kept going and going and going like the Energizer Bunny. I didn't get to sleep until after 2:00.

The ending seemed too candy-coated to me, like it was tacked on.

This is one I won't waste my time with ever again.

message 7: by Reny (new)

Reny (renny3108yahoocom) | 7 comments I LOVED this movie...to see Denzel and Russel bumped against on acting...just deep in show!

message 8: by Crystal (new)

Crystal | 118 comments When I went to see this movie, I had no idea what it was about. I was so amazed by the story that I didn't realize that it was 3 hours long.

I'm not a big Crowe fan BUT he was awesome. Denzel did amazing as always.

I was shocked at the end to know that this movie was based on actual events and how bad the cops really were.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Wicked awesome movie!!!! But I have an important question:Does anyone know the name of the theme song to this movie? It is in the trailer when Frank Lucas shows his mom her new house.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

oh nevermind I found it. If anyone wants to know, it's called Aint No Love in The Heart Of The City by the Bobby Blue Band

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

there is also a version by Jay-z called Heart of the city, aalthough there is a curse word in every other line.