UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

90 views
Agony Aunt > Goodreads iPad app

Comments (showing 1-27 of 27) (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 07, 2012 11:44AM) (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Anyone else tried this app? I have it on my iPad and like the layout and notification feature so you know when new posts have been made, but the app just doesn't work. When I click on notifications and choose a topic nothing happens - it just stays on the home screen.

Please help!

Or I'll just have to stick to good old-fashioned www


message 2: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Yes, it's a bit broken. The groups and messages handling in the app has always been very poor IMHO. For example, on my iPad, I can't reply to posts - I type my message on the keypad and nothing happens. On the other hand, for things like scanning book barcodes while wandering around Waterstones and automatically adding them to your TBR list, it's brilliant!


Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 61381 comments I've tried the app.

It's pants.

Can't do any moderator stuff through it. Mind you I can't through the phone app either.


Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (Snibborg) | 9019 comments I tried it and gave up. Just open it in either Safari or Chrome now.


message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael (MichaelDiack) | 185 comments Yeah the app isn't too much use


message 6: by Elle (new)

Elle (Louiselesley) | 7914 comments Very strange since the iPod one works perfectly o.O


message 7: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments So, it's not just me then.
It's a nice-looking app and I'd love for it to work properly. Shame.


Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (Snibborg) | 9019 comments I've finally removed it from my iPad. It really is fairly useless. When you go to groups it doesn't open the unread stuff, it starts at the beginning. I opened the morning thread last Wednesday and I was about half way through.

It keeps giving me a message every time someone posts. Now that's bloody irritating and was the final straw.

Now, whenever I use open goodreads in Safari, it keeps telling me there's an app. Bloody thing.


message 9: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "I've finally removed it from my iPad. It really is fairly useless. When you go to groups it doesn't open the unread stuff, it starts at the beginning. I opened the morning thread last Wednesday ..."

Settings -> Notifications -> Goodreads. Set alerts to none.


Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (Snibborg) | 9019 comments Thanks Tim. I think others may find that useful. The lack of control of viewing groups was the killer for me though. The web page is so much better.


message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Geoff (G. Robbins) (The noisy passionfruit) wrote: "Thanks Tim. I think others may find that useful. The lack of control of viewing groups was the killer for me though. The web page is so much better."

I agree. The inability to go straight to the first unread message in a thread is a real killer for me too.


message 12: by James (new)

James Campbell (JamescCamp) | 44 comments I have the Android app and it seems to work fairly well. There a few things that you can't do (browsing your book lists is more awkward), but overall it's handy for quickly updating my reading status from bed every night before I go to sleep :)


message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Hill | 1599 comments Yes, I also removed the app the other day. Opening a thread at the very start drove me insane. Especially when the thread is twenty odd pages long on the website!


Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (Snibborg) | 9019 comments My iPad app mysteriously reinstalled itself last week, after I installed iOS6. Very odd.


message 15: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments There's a wee arrow at the top that you can click and it takes it from showing oldest first to most recent first. That's what I use, it just means you have to scroll to the end of the page though to find the first new post.


message 16: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "There's a wee arrow at the top that you can click and it takes it from showing oldest first to most recent first. That's what I use, it just means you have to scroll to the end of the page though ..."

Yes but it also marks all the messages in that thread as read, which is rather silly.


message 17: by Jud (new)

Jud (Judibud) | 17938 comments It doesn't on my app...


message 18: by Theweebarrell (new)

Theweebarrell | 12 comments does anyone know how to stop notifications on the ipad as every time there is a new post it starts up my ipad from standby to show them


message 19: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Theweebarrell wrote: "does anyone know how to stop notifications on the ipad as every time there is a new post it starts up my ipad from standby to show them"

Settings -> Notifications -> Goodreads. You can customise whether it alerts you, just shows badges, lists posts in the notifications drop down, or does nothing at all, whatever.


message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24005 comments Tim, your brain must be immense! Some days I can barely remember the way to the post office!


message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Can't remember me bleedin' lines though... ;)


message 22: by Theweebarrell (new)

Theweebarrell | 12 comments Tim wrote: "Theweebarrell wrote: "does anyone know how to stop notifications on the ipad as every time there is a new post it starts up my ipad from standby to show them"

Settings -> Notifications -> Goodre..."


I tried that but it still comes on when a new notification arrives


message 23: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments What did you set it to?


message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24005 comments Tim wrote: "Can't remember me bleedin' lines though... ;)"

They must be trivial compared to the information cluttering up your noggin.


message 25: by Harrison (new)

Harrison Davies (harrisondavies) | 189 comments Patti (Bowl of Cherries) wrote: "I've tried the app.

It's pants.

Can't do any moderator stuff through it. Mind you I can't through the phone app either."


WHAT SHE SAID LOL


message 26: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9437 comments Ignite wrote: "Tim wrote: "Can't remember me bleedin' lines though... ;)"

They must be trivial compared to the information cluttering up your noggin."


That's no consolation when you're stood there like a complete twonk with everyone looking at you, and thinking "I should be saying something, but I have no idea what..."


message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 24005 comments I only 'acted' once in a school play - in French. I had one line. I forgot it! Never again!


back to top