Jane Austen discussion

General Discussion > Favorite Letter

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Vogtman (jessica_vogtman) | 10 comments A common theme in most of Jane Austen's novels is the importance of a letter in either the resolution of a problem or the revelation of some important news.
Which letter is your favorite?
1. Capt. Wentworth to Ann
2. Mr. Darcy to Elizabeth
3. Willoughby to Marianne

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie My favorite is definitely Wentworth's letter to Ann.

message 3: by Ann (new)

Ann | 69 comments Well, I'm afraid I haven't read the first one yet (tsk! I know!) but I'd have to go with Darcy's then:)

message 4: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 25 comments My favorite letter is Captain Wentworth's to Ann.

message 5: by Claudia (new)

Claudia | 25 comments Captain Wentworth's for sure. :D

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to agree my favorite is Captain Wentworth's to anne.

message 7: by Lianne (new)

Lianne (eclecticreading) Captain Wentworth's letter to Anne, hands down. For me, it has to be the most romantic moment I've read from all of Austen's works xD

message 8: by Puck (new)

Puck (gentlepuck) | 159 comments "You pierce my soul. You alone has brought me to Bath."

message 9: by Laurel (new)

Laurel Hicks (goodreadscomlaurele) Definitely Wentworth. Every time I reread the book, it is to get to that letter.

Captain Sir Roddy, R.N. (Ret.) (captain_sir_roddy) I couldn't agree more with all of you - Captain Wentworth's beautiful letter to Anne Elliot. It is one of the finest love letters written in the English language! As Laurel has said; it is the reason to read Persuasion to finally reach that letter and its consequences.

message 11: by SarahC, Austen Votary & Mods' Asst. (new)

SarahC (sarahcarmack) | 1473 comments Mod
Persuasion is a powerful novel altogether. To be able to evoke that kind of emotion in literature, Austen had reached a truly masterful level.

Perhaps when people first read Persuasion, they are looking for another Pride & Prejud., not understanding that Austen had moved into different elements of fiction at that point. Her writing was evolving and saying so much more.

message 12: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 47 comments The Persuasion letter is what started me on my road to Jane. It was perfect.

message 13: by Karen (new)

Karen | 7 comments Oh for sure it's Wentworth's. It is the realisation of all the half hopes you cherish for Anne. You didn't include in your list all of Lady Susan's letters, if you haven't read Lady Susan, which is esstentially a book of letters between four or five people, I can recommend it. Susan is a horror and yet you find yourself smiling at her shenanigans because she sure can write a letter!

message 14: by Stella (last edited Jul 30, 2009 03:44AM) (new)

Stella (stella_exlibris) | 9 comments Definitely Captain Wentworth's letter! His letter is such a powerful and deep confession of love and torment, that one cannot but be affected by it! Each time I read his overwhelming words, I get chills they are so moving!

"You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope."

"You alone have brought me to Bath. For you alone I hink and plan."

His passion shines through these powerful, intense, strong words.

Darcy's letter is rather an explanation and not a love letter, whereas Wentworth's letter is a love letter without rival.

message 15: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Wentworth all the way!!!! <3
So romantic and amazing!!!
Such pain and hope at the same time!!!!!
Best part of the novel!!!

message 16: by Nicole D. (new)

Nicole D. (thereadingrebel) | 80 comments Captain Wentworth(NO contest)
It was so romantic and one of the best love letters ever.

message 17: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments it was amazing!
it pierced my soul...

message 18: by Karen (new)

Karen Persuasion is my favorite novel in it's own right, but the letter Wentworth writes to Ann, and everything that comes after it is just beautiful. It's a dream of mine to receive a love letter like that some day.

message 19: by J. (new)

J. Rubino (jrubino) | 218 comments I love Mr. Bennet's pithy letter to Mr. Collins, when he announces Elizabeth's engagement.

message 20: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments YES! that is really funny actually - short, sweet (well... ish), and to the point! ;)

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments yes i totally agree!
Mr Bennet is a great character :)

message 22: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments yes! and can some men take the example of them of how woman should be treated...!!! many lessons could be learntt and for men who want win over a ladies heart need only to watch/read an austen and they will have the way to do it!!

message 23: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Don't think so...
There were letters but but not like a love letter from Tilney to Cathy ....

message 24: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments Stella wrote: "Definitely Captain Wentworth's letter! His letter is such a powerful and deep confession of love and torment, that one cannot but be affected by it! Each time I read his overwhelming words, I get c..."

Yes and how he writes so intently while she is in the room, and she doesn't even realize it. :D

message 25: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments Yes I know!!! How can he do that in the room full of people and her!!!

message 26: by Leah (new)

Leah (princessleia) | 87 comments Just have to read/watch it to see.

message 27: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 2 comments I agree with the majority :) Captain Wentworth's letter! I can listen no longer in silence...<3

message 28: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I ham half agony. Half hope.

message 29: by Xenia (new)

Xenia (collarcitybrownstone) | 63 comments Captain Wentworth to Anne hands down!

You pierce my soul. I am half agony half hope. Tell me not that I am too late. OMG...it almost can't any get better than that letter.

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1458 comments I KNOW! i couldn't agree more!! what a wonderful letter... i remeber reading it for the first time.. i was in my bedroom and i was standing up as i was reading it! *sigh*... <3