Books2Movies Club discussion

Douglas Adams
This topic is about Douglas Adams
Spotlighted Reads > The Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Vismay (new)

Vismay (Alienman) | 27 comments Though of course, fellas out there didn't exactly like the movie adaptation of 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy', I thought it was fun though the script was changed beyond recognition in the end.
Of course Mr. Adams was a man of contradictions and there exists several versions of his series, that's why it would be a bit difficult to put the next in series, 'Restaurant at the End of the Universe' on celluloid film. But I would love to watch it, all the same.
What do you guys think?

message 2: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka (ZTook) | 1998 comments Mod
Now I am curious. The first two books in the series were my favorites, but I must admit that now I can't recall their exact storylines, so I am not sure what made the other book "unmakeable" to filmmakers... What I remember are mostly witty remarks and passages that made me to laugh out loud so much that it would annoy other people around me :D

What do you mean by "several versions of his series"? Would you like to say something more about that? I didn't know there were several.

Btw, that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to watch the movie. I definitely would :) There was BBC series very long time ago, maybe you have seen it? I didn't, would love to see that too!

message 3: by Sean (new)

Sean Shapiro (PositiveID) | 4 comments Loved the Movie and the Books!

message 4: by Vismay (new)

Vismay (Alienman) | 27 comments What I meant to say is that in the Introduction of his trilogy in four parts (a thick omnibus, in short containing all the four parts), he mentions that the BBC radio broadcasts,books, television series - everything contradicted everything else!!
i.e. an excerpt of that intro:-
"In January 1982 Harmony Books published The Restaurant at the End of the Universe in the U.S. In the summer of 1982, a third Hitch hiker book was published simultaneously in Britain and the U.S., called Life, the Universe and Everything.
This was not based on anything that has already been heard or seen on radio or television. In fact it flatly contrdicted episodes 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 of the radio series."

Mr. Adams further mentions that he wrote a screenplay for the movie that contradicted everything he wrote!!!!!!!!
In movies, there is a chemistry between him and Trillian, whereas in the books, there is not even an atom worthy bond between them, instead Arthur gets hitched with Fenny in the fourth book!

And Zeljka, my mom also thinks its annoying when I laugh out loud, suddenly and out of blue, when I read either Mr. Adams or P.G. Wodeshouse's works!!!!!!!!!

message 5: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 09, 2012 02:13PM) (new)

Zeljka (ZTook) | 1998 comments Mod
Lol, that practically means we should watch and read every single thing he wrote, because every experience would be quite different :) I like it actually, the way he played with his fans :)

Now you made me wish to read the series all over again. Especially since I've recently bought for myself a copy, this particular edition - The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Till now I've read these books one by one.

message 6: by Jonesmikey (new)

Jonesmikey | 64 comments I'm intermittently listening to the radio scripts on Youtube. I think Douglas Adams only wrote the first two and the next three were done by some other guy and were broadcast in '04 and '05.
I have no interest in seeing The Restaurant at the End of the Universe as a Hollywood movie. Not after what they did to HHGTTG. Maybe I would if they got a screenwriter that gave a toss about the fans' feelings.