NaNoWriMo Next Steps--Writing, Publishing and Book Marketing discussion

Foreshadowing or luck?

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gail (new)

Gail Martin (GailZMartin) | 47 comments Mod
Do you actually know when you start your book all the twists and turns it's going to take, or do you come up with great ideas along the way and then go back and sneak in the foreshadowing? Or a little of both?

message 2: by Lucinda (last edited Nov 07, 2012 01:24AM) (new)

Lucinda | 20 comments I have planned each of the sections within the book and roughly what happens in each, but this is just a rough guideline. When it comes down to actually writing that section in detail, then the twists & turns within the plot just seem to happen as the characters pull the story along. For example i know that character A is going to kill character B but what i didn't know is that character B turns out to be immortal and does not die, and admist the great fight between them he escapes. At the moment i am sticking to my outline and following the sequence of events in order, but what happens during these events does even suprise me for i would have never have imagined certain things to occour beforehand. The writing constantly suprises me when i look back and see events unfolding that i never planned, or finding out more about my characters as they tell the story in such a way.

message 3: by Gail (new)

To me, that's the fun part. Especially when a character that you had planned to have do something gets in your face and refuses to do what you had in mind and instead insists on doing something entirely different!

message 4: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (BettyCross) | 24 comments One of my characters told me once, "I won't live to be old and die a natural death. I will die a martyr to my cause."

She was right. She had to die. I went into mourning for a few days.

message 5: by Gail (new)

That's really interesting, because sometimes you have things all figured out and then the character goes in another direction. I think that's when characters are at their most real.

message 6: by Betty (new)

Betty Cross (BettyCross) | 24 comments Gail wrote: "That's really interesting, because sometimes you have things all figured out and then the character goes in another direction. I think that's when characters are at their most real."
The book she's in is one of the sequels to my YA Dystopa "Discarded Faces." It hasn't been written yet, it's outlined.

message 7: by Gail (new)

That's going to be an interesting character!