Goodreads Developers discussion

examples / showcase > Goodreads for Windows 8

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Apr 26, 2013 03:14PM) (new)

Daniel | 53 comments I've released a new Goodreads app designed for Windows 8 desktops/tablets. It's passed certification, and is now available in the windows store:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/...

Unfortunately, logging in with Facebook is not supported due to issues with the Microsoft WebAuthenticationBroker and Facebook Connect. You'll have to use a standard goodreads username/password.

I'd love some feedback if anyone wants to give it a try.

message 2: by Michael (new)

Michael Economy (michaeleconomy) If only we had a windows tablet. :)

message 3: by Otis, Chief Architect (new)

Otis Chandler | 18 comments Mod
Great to hear Daniel! We aren't building one of those ourselves for some time.

message 4: by Muhammad (new)

Muhammad (pararang) | 5 comments nice tread, good apps.
now we make a apps GR for win8 but with other concept, special for children.

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nancywu) | 1 comments Do you have an updated link? The link seems dead

message 6: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments My app has been re-listed as "Tome" in the Windows Store:

http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/...

The new version should support Facebook authentication.

message 7: by Tabatha (new)

Tabatha (tiggernator) | 1 comments Yay yay yay (:

message 8: by Filipe (new)

Filipe (x-static) | 2 comments Hi, the app just keeps searching. Doesn't show my shelves or books.

Like this: http://i.imgur.com/Crsml.png

message 9: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments Hi Filipe,

I haven't been able to reproduce this issue on my own computer. Are you still experiencing this issue, and if so, what kind of device are you using Tome on (type/model)?

message 10: by Filipe (new)

Filipe (x-static) | 2 comments Yes. My device is an Asus N53sn laptop.

I can see friends, groups and search for books. But updates or shelves doesn't show anything.

message 11: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments Hi Filipe,

I've submitted a new update that should hopefully fix this issue.

It usually takes about a week for Microsoft to certify and release an update, please let me know if it resolves your issue.

message 12: by Nick (new)

Nick (ashkir) | 3 comments It's no longer listed in the store. :(

message 13: by Harshini (new)

Harshini Nawarathna (harshani) | 7 comments Hi Daniel,

I'm working on a windows 8 app for goodreads. How did you manage to OAuth Goodreads? Is it by using a provided C# library for goodreads or some other method? Thanks in advance.

message 14: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments I originally used the Chq.OAuth library, but ran into some trouble with post data. I ended up writing my own OAuth library.

message 15: by Harshini (new)

Harshini Nawarathna (harshani) | 7 comments Hi,Thanks for the reply. I used webauthenticationbroker sample provided. I managed to get oauth_token. Do I need to get access_token also?

Is your own oauth libabry available to download? Thanks.

message 16: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments Yes, you will need the access token to make your requests. My library is not available for download, but the Chq.OAuth github page has some good examples:
https://github.com/myquay/Chq.OAuth

message 17: by Gareth (new)

Gareth Hi Daniel,

this is great! Do you, by any chance, have a goodreads app that can be installed on a Windows 8 phone? I have Book queue but it doesn't allow me to access my shelf or mark books as currently reading or read.

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter Mitri (petermitri) | 50 comments @Gareth check out Social Reads

message 19: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments Hi Gareth,

At the moment I don't have any plans for a Windows Phone app. It looks like there are a bunch of other good options already available (Such as Social Reads that Peter mentioned).

message 20: by Nick (new)

Nick (ashkir) | 3 comments Hi Daniel. Do you know if this app will be available again for windows 8? Store link says no longer available.

message 21: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments It's been re-listed under the name "Tome", here's the updated link: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/app/...

message 22: by Nick (new)

Nick (ashkir) | 3 comments Thank you!

message 23: by pedro (new)

pedro andrade (opedromandrade) well man 2 requests:
1) you should be able to update your reading status from the app.
2)if you plan to have ads, make it more simetric or such, with the diferent tiles of the ap.
cheers.

message 24: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments Hi Jack,

You can update your reading status from the app by using the context menu from a book page. (Right click, or swipe your finger up from the bottom).

Also, the app does have small ads displayed on most of the pages.

message 25: by pedro (new)

pedro andrade (opedromandrade) Daniel wrote: "Hi Jack,

You can update your reading status from the app by using the context menu from a book page. (Right click, or swipe your finger up from the bottom).

Also, the app does have small ads disp..."

ok, i'll try that. but on windows 8, adds are clumsy. and go beyond the screen even.

message 26: by Gautam (new)

Gautam Surath | 1 comments Hi,

Am using the app on the Surface RT but it just asks me to login. When I click on that it says unable to log in. Nothing else happens. Uninstalled.

message 27: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments I removed this app from the windows store 6 months ago, so it shouldn't be available.

message 28: by Jeremy (new)

Jeremy (Jezticles) | 1 comments Just got myself a windows phone but disappointed that there is no official goodreads app, can we expect it any time soon, and is there a reason why they haven't developed one yet?

message 29: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 53 comments I don't work for Goodreads, but I suspect it will be a long time if ever for an official windows phone 8 app. The market share is too small for it to be worth their time. They focus on the mobile website experience for those niche markets.

They have an open API, so some 3rd party developer may decide to write one someday.

message 30: by Raimund (new)

Raimund (StingRayZA) | 2 comments @Jeremy take a look at Social Reads - I'm using it, and pretty full featured...

message 31: by Ettore (new)

Ettore Pasquini | 217 comments We currently have no plans to develop an official Windows phone app. There are some great apps developed by third party developers (such as the already mentioned Social Reads) so I would recommend you to do a quick search in this forum and check them out. They do use the same api we are using on our iOS and Android apps.