general discussions > Suggestions for DECEMBER

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne Sofie (new)

Anne Sofie (annesofielovesmozart) | 19 comments Mod
Any suggestions for December ..?

message 2: by Dragana (new)

Dragana | 19 comments Mod
Maybe "Notes from the Underground" by Dostoevsky?

message 3: by katerina (new)

katerina (katerina-cz) | 4 comments There are Christmas holidays in the end of December, so that Christmas e-books are actual. I and my little nephew Mark, we especially enjoy reading A Snow Baby and A Christmas morning. So that I think you'd like it too.

message 4: by Dragana (new)

Thank you, Helen for the suggestion :-).
Would you share with us what it is that you really like about these books? What kind of books you generally enjoy?

message 5: by katerina (new)

katerina (katerina-cz) | 4 comments For myself I enjoy classical and modern prose - novels, such as Haruki Murakami or George Orwell. For my kids and nephews - fairy tales an poems.

message 6: by Dragana (new)

I've tried to read something written by Murakami, actually, 3-4 books and I've noticed that his style differs from what I usually read.
His writing is not difficult to read and understand, the stories are original, however it does not "hold me", seems too detached from his characters, in the sense that the inner life of the personality is put aside for the "bigger picture". Like he chops them out with only rough lines, enough to point out they exist but less enough to really shape them into individuals.
So far I don't have much experience with George Orwell writing :-). Hopefully, that will change.

message 7: by katerina (new)

katerina (katerina-cz) | 4 comments Thus George Orwell's plot is now very actual to Russian inner political situation.

message 8: by Dragana (new)

Big brother? :-)

message 9: by katerina (new)

katerina (katerina-cz) | 4 comments Something like that :-)

message 10: by Dragana (new)

It was nice talking to you. Come back any time :-).