Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Friday Questions > Question #29: Sacred Reading Spot(s)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Where is your favourite place to read? Where do you read the most?

Thank you for submitting this question Aprile. I'm excited about the responses to this question and maybe get some ideas.

Have a nice weekend :)

message 2: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I like to read on my front room couch with my feet up.

message 3: by Sarenna (new)

Sarenna (djsthree) | 44 comments I like to read in bed. I usually read until my eyelids slam shut. Can't think of a better way to drift off to sleep, though.

message 4: by Laura (new)

Laura (questionableadvice) I like to read in bed, also. And sometimes it's the only place I can get enough peace and quiet to be able to do it. ;)

I know it isn't what you mean by the question, but I also "read" audiobooks in the car.

message 5: by Deb (new)

Deb I like to read at Chautauqua Park -- nestled up next to the Mountians in Boulder CO it truely is a sacred spot to read. The crystal blue sky as a back drop for those beautiful mountains can be very breathtaking! of course I can't read there all the time so my couch with my favorite comfy blanket!

message 6: by Dawn (new)

Dawn rizzi (dawnie278) bed , everynight before sleep. Totally relaxes me for sleep. sometimes too much. i give myslef an hour everynight and sometimes i only make 10 minutes and my eyes are closing

message 7: by Kay (new)

Kay (zoecat) I'm another one who loves to read in bed. Always have to read at least a few pages before I can go to sleep.

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Either in bed until I can't stay away any more (it's usually the quietest place in my house unless my 17-yr-old decides he wants to talk and then I have to talk because I know I'm lucky to have a 17-yr-old son who actually likes to talk to me). Or...curled up in a corner of the couch in my family room where it's definitely not quiet but I get to read surrounded by my family.

message 9: by Leighann (new)

Leighann (zhelenstilo) During the day, I usually read in the comfy leather chair in our living room, and at night I read in my bed. Both places would probably count as my favorites, though I'll read pretty much anywhere where I can get comfortable in the end.

message 10: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 3 comments In summer, I like to read in a hammock or at the lake. When that's not possible, I usually read in my bed.

message 11: by Mary Todd (new)

Mary Todd (marytodd) | 924 comments bed is the best, or an airplane or train, or the beach or in the hammock on the porch or in my girl room...or just anywhere

message 12: by Aprile (new)

Aprile (aprileb) I love to read in my bed, or on my leather sofa. I also enjoy reading on a bus/train/plane, as long as there is room to be comfortable.

The place I cannot read is outdoors. I just can't stand reading if there is any wind.

message 13: by Dini (new)

Dini I read on the sofa with my feet up, or in bed, or on the bus to and from work.

message 14: by Leshawn (new)

Leshawn | 460 comments I read all day or night in the lab. (I'm a chemist) I work for 12 hours and there is quite a lot of time waiting for my samples to cool or titrate or the next sample to arrive. It is one of the best things about my job.
My favorite place to read is Springlake beside the water gardens with the ducks under a beautiful tree that dips toward the water like a graceful ballerina. I carry a blanket in my trunk at all times and if the weather is nice and I have at least 30 minutes, I drive there stretch out and read, read, read.

message 15: by Mickey (new)

Mickey | 26 comments I can read just about anywhere! Usually while I am reading I will switch spots every one or two hours. I love reading outside under a tree or on the section of the beach where there are not a lot of people. The only problem with reading on the beach is that I tend to tan in all of the oddest ways (sometimes the book leaves a shadow across my face :)). I have also found places in my house, little niches where no one can find me and bother me. As long as I have light, I can read!

message 16: by Courtney (new)

Courtney (cddimmitt) I love to read in the bathtub! A bubble bath, a candle, and a glass of Cabernet!

message 17: by Faye (new)

Faye | 673 comments Mod
In the bath - but you have to buy your books to do this - the library doesn't like getting them back all wrinkly ;)

message 18: by Suri (new)

Suri | 38 comments This is weird but, my favorite place to read has always been on the stairs. That way I know whats going on in the house, I always get worried if I don't know. It is also suprisingly very comfortable:)

message 19: by Severine Bambang (new)

Severine Bambang | 56 comments In my bed...

message 20: by Vicki - I Love Reading (last edited Feb 23, 2009 03:22AM) (new)

Vicki - I Love Reading (httpswwwfacebookcommybookblog) in bed.. deffo...
I've started to put a paper clip on the page i start at when i read, and move it along every so often, that way when i fall asleep and my book drops to the floor,and the book mark falls out- i've a good idea where i last was up to...
I enjoy the summer sat in the garden with a book, on my steps, although in the uk.. dont get to sit out much lol
i also like to read in the bath, but i buy a charity shop book for a few pence, and have it as my bath time read, because it can take a few days to dry out when you drop it in lol

message 21: by Becca (last edited Feb 27, 2009 04:32AM) (new)

Becca I have two. This may sound a bit hokey but I loved reading on the subway when my commute was an hour long. I was able to get so much reading done, I miss that.

This one not hokey...the park during the summer.

MB (What she read) Anywhere and everywhere. But probably where I read most often is in my comfy chair in my living room where I can curl my legs up and sit with a blanket over me and my cat nearby. ...I sound like such a stereotype!

message 23: by Meranda (new)

Meranda (msl87) The beach! Every 4th of July I go to the beach for at least a week, and bring like 10 books with me! I come back with a nice tan and a lot of books off of my TBR Pile. I probably read more books during that week, than I do in 2 regular months!

message 24: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Deb wrote: "I like to read at Chautauqua Park -- nestled up next to the Mountians in Boulder CO it truely is a sacred spot to read. The crystal blue sky as a back drop for those beautiful mountains can be very..."

How is it I live in Longmont near Boulder and I haven't heard of this place? I'm missing out. Maybe I will check it out this summer. You make it sound like a paradise.

message 25: by Emily (new)

Emily | 74 comments I have the good fortune-- considering the size of our home-- to have a "reading room". I dare not call it a library, but it is certainly not an office. The room is filled with books, and writing quills, and a Jane Austen figure doll, and a lovely day bed that can fold out flat or into a chaise lounge. Yeah, for a family on a moderate income, it's a real gem.

message 26: by Shelley (new)

Shelley Emily - I'd like to read in your room. Sounds perfect.

My favourite spot is the bathtub. Or, my bed first thing in the morning..usually fall asleep pretty quickly reading at night in bed.

message 27: by Dini (new)

Dini Yeah, Emily's reading room sounds awesome!

message 28: by librarian4Him02 (new)

librarian4Him02 | 273 comments I like to read either in bed, our cushy recliner chair, or the living room couch. I also read while brushing my teeth. Does that make me weird?

Juli

message 29: by John-Paul (new)

John-Paul | 46 comments My favorite place to read is in my chaise in the living room.

message 30: by Danine (new)

Danine (dulcemea) Librarianforhim wrote: "I also read while brushing my teeth. Does that make me weird?"

No, Juli, not weird. It sounds to me you are utilizing your time. Sometimes I get a few stitches of knitting in when I brush my teeth. I've never tried reading though. I will try it this evening. Thanks for making me smile. :)

message 31: by Candy (new)

Candy (candyshann) I love to read in bed, second is my chair by the front window. I love reading outdoors also.

message 32: by Deb (last edited Feb 25, 2009 07:58PM) (new)

Deb Deb wrote: "I like to read at Chautauqua Park -- nestled up next to the Mountians in Boulder CO it truely is a sacred spot to read. The crystal blue sky as a back drop for those beautiful mountains can be very..."

Danine wrote: How is it I live in Longmont near Boulder and I haven't heard of this place? I'm missing out. Maybe I will check it out this summer. You make it sound like a paradise.

Danine you should check it out -- it is at 9th and Baseline in Boulder! you can hike, walk, picnic and just enjoy!

message 33: by Suzanne Shumaker (new)

Suzanne Shumaker | 53 comments Librarian for him, I also try to get in a couple of pages while I brush my teeth. I always feel OCD when I do but sometimes I can't help it.

To DANINE-I can't figure out how you knit while you brush your teeth, but I do agree with you that they are both good ways of utilizing time.

My dream house is going to have a library/reading room along with a million other rooms too. I love having books and buying books and looking at books and even smelling books. MMmmmm...

My places that I read are on the couch by the window or at the table. During the summer I like to go outside with a lawn chair and read while the kids play outside.

message 34: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurie0303) | 60 comments DEB & DANINE: Chautauqua Park is really beautiful, I agree!! I've never gone there to read, though. Mostly, I read in bed or on the sofa. In the summer, I spread out a blanket in the backyard while my kids play outside so that I can be with them. As it turns out, I do more playing than reading when I do that, though! :-)

message 35: by Ginette (new)

Ginette (sistergrimm) Anywhere comfortable and quiet. I read in bed every night.

message 36: by Carrie (new)

Carrie Suzanne, you sound like me...that dream house comment echoes my sentiments exactly.

I like to read where ever I have peace and quiet. My bed mostly; I prop the pillow up behind me and place a folded blanket on my lap to have a resting place for the book. Barring that, I'll try to read during commercials when watching tv too, mute the sound and get a few pages in before the program resumes. Sometimes I try at work as well...on my break periods anyway. I have good intentions, but sometimes 15 to 30 minutes just isn't sufficient enough, and I end up talking to co-workers through most of it.

message 37: by Mary (new)

Mary (twowordsnohyphen) I actually love reading in public places. There's a cafe a quick bus ride away from my apartment and I like reading there. For some reason, I concentrate better when there's white noise in the background. And I'm living in South Korea now, so even though there are tons of people around, all I hear is white noise since (sadly) I am not fluent in Korean.

But on rainy days, my couch suffices, along with a big cup of tea in the best mug ever; it says: Book lovers never go to bed alone. So true.

message 38: by Indres (new)

Indres (felis) in my bed and in bathtup

message 39: by Jasmine (new)

Jasmine (calibaby27) i luv reading at night in my bed with my toy poodle cuddled up with me i usually read from 10:30(After king of the hill) to about 2 or 3 at NIGHT

message 40: by Cecilia (new)

Cecilia (cissygold) I love to read in my big chair by the fire in the winter. In the summer I like to read in the backyard in my Adirondack Chair I bought just for that reason.

message 41: by Sue (new)

Sue Slayton | 27 comments In my bed or on the beach. There's nothing like reading a fabulous book while basking in the sun!

message 42: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (diva2416) I like to read in my bed, even if it is the middle of the day, my bed is still my favorite spot. Last summer I did enjoy sitting in a chair outside with my feet in my puppy's pool while she ran around outside. I have to keep my feel in the cold water otherwise I will fall asleep in the sun.

message 43: by Carolt (new)

Carolt | 9 comments I read anywhere but the cup of tea lounging on the couch in the living room where there are no distractions is probably my day place. Night time it's in bed. I love to read in the middle of the day when no one is around. It doesn't matter where just so it's comfy. I feel so priviledged to be reading and not producing something. Decadent!

message 44: by Venessa (new)

Venessa Johnstone Bath n Bed..i need quiet to read and i have 4 kids so that dosnt happen often :(

message 45: by Tina (last edited Jun 02, 2009 09:06AM) (new)

Tina (bibliomama11) Mandy wrote: "The beach! Every 4th of July I go to the beach for at least a week, and bring like 10 books with me! I come back with a nice tan and a lot of books off of my TBR Pile. I probably read more books..."

Mandy, I'm the same way! I think it's the only time during the year when I can actually read multiple books in a week.

During the day, I read on the couch by the window. At night, I always read in bed before going to sleep. I have to, I can't fall asleep without reading, even if it's just a few lines. I love to read outside, especially at the beach with the warm salty breeze blowing softly. I have to be careful about reading in direct sunlight, though, because if it gets too hot the glue that binds the mass markets will melt and then pages start to come out, lol! My dream is to have a small personal library with a big leather chair and ottoman by the fireplace, draped with a luxurious throw blanket and next to a small table for a lamp and a place to set down my mug or wineglass. **sigh**

message 46: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (leshug) The bath tub, my bed and the couch. As long as I can put my coffee somewhere I'm usually happy. I do find that I fly through books most quickly when in the tub though.

message 47: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne (roxannebcb) I love to read on the beach.

And if my booklight isn't working I go into a panic. My husband starts tearing the house apart to find the bulbs or batteries or whatever - he knows I can't go to sleep without reading first. Boy have I got him trained!

message 48: by FromAna (new)

FromAna (fromanam) in my car while my husband drives me around for work. Thats where I get most of my reading done

message 49: by Carol (new)

Carol (librarychic) I can pretty much read anywhere, but I enjoy reading outside in the evenings in the spring and fall, and in bed in the winter before I fall asleep.

message 50: by Tim (new)

Tim Weakley | 396 comments Danine wrote: "Where is your favourite place to read? Where do you read the most?"

In my livingroom, on the old overstuffed couch with a freshly brewed cup of tea. No...I'm not over 80. I just have fallen into this as habit, especially with heavier books. Trying a new tea sometimes makes me concentrate more easily on tough concepts.

« previous 1