BoardGameGeek discussion

Your favorite bookreading 'gadget'

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jules (new)

Jules (juleske) | 5 comments Mod
The booksit looks pretty dorky :) Useful though!

I really need a Kindle reading light - The Kindle is so great for long rides in the car, but my driver protests when I turn the lights in the car on. A little thing that clips on my Kindle would be a lifesaver.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 2 comments ^Ah, I hate such drivers :P. My parents were like that too...

In my car, all lights can be switched on (while I'm driving, at least)

message 3: by Peter (new)

Peter Brichs (Brichs) | 5 comments I don't have any gadgets, besides my iPad, which is used for Kindle books & all my comic-reading.

message 4: by Peter (new)

Peter Brichs (Brichs) | 5 comments Esmiralda wrote: "So most of you are digital readers?"

I'm not, actually. Only for comics, because here in
Denmark, we don't get the comics on day one. I also do read some books on the kindle app, but mostly books I get for free, from different sites. Me = cheapskate.

98% of my books-reading is good, old-fashioned paper-books, though.

message 5: by Jonathan (last edited Nov 07, 2012 09:02AM) (new)

Jonathan (LuftwaffeFlak) | 2 comments Esmiralda wrote: "So most of you are digital readers?"

About half and half, I was opposed to digital readers until I discovered how much money I could save with free books through library sharing sites and such. Having one with 600+ books on it is also awesome for traveling too. I still have a very nice collection of actual books and love to see them take up space on my shelves. I still buy books at Thrift/yard/charity etc places.

message 6: by Mr_dove (new)

Mr_dove | 1 comments My Ipad is my only reading tool. My wife has a really nice rechargeable book light but the Ipad has made it somewhat obsolete since it has a backlight.

Most of my reading is actually books-on-tape but I like to have favorites on the bookshelf.

message 7: by Chris (new)

Chris Ferejohn | 3 comments I don't have an eReader, just books. I don't log online plays either. #luddite

message 8: by Bas (new)

Bas Luijten (BaSL) | 4 comments I have a bookcase to fill, so no ereading for me. I just love real books.

No gadgets, though. A good book, the couch and a good Nespresso. Maybe some soft backgroundmusic.

message 9: by Bruce (new)

Bruce Oppenheim | 1 comments I have kindle on the iPad, but don't enjoy reading on it. Old fashioned paper. Feels nice, doesn't strain my eyes and can be lent, browsed on a book shelf, picked up in a second hand shop, passed on to my kids from me and all the generations before me.
Yet to find a book light that i like

message 10: by Bob (new)

Bob (YellowLab) | 2 comments I am 100% digital. I have a kobo and love it. My favorite thing about digital is the ability to carry so many books at once. Problem is on an airplane during taxi and takeoff you can't have it on.

message 11: by Jules (new)

Jules (juleske) | 5 comments Mod
I have a kindle and I'm actively trying to get rid of most of my paper books - they're only taking up space! I still have a stack of interesting paper goods to read, but they usually get shafted in favor of my digital precious.

message 12: by Amy (new)

Amy | 1 comments We love paper books, but between the two of us we already have so many books. We have multiple bookshelves right now and we are out of room. Finally, we decided to switch to e-Readers. It just makes more sense for now since we haven't put down roots. Adam has a Kindle and I've got a Nook Color I can boot as a tablet. I miss paper books sometimes but it is sooo convenient to have an e-Reader, unless I've forgotten to charge it!

message 13: by T.S. S. (new)

T.S. S. Fulk (tssfulk) | 7 comments As a commuter, I absolutely love my Kobo Aura HD and do 90% of my reading on it. However, I'm a book lover and love physical books, especially well-made ones like Ursula K. Le Guin's recent hardbacks in which they actually folded the sheets of paper to create the individual pages (i.e., the old-fashioned way to make books). A thousand books look awesome on bookshelves. A thousand books on my Kobo still looks like 1 Kobo.

message 14: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Berg | 10 comments I read digital books for my job. I don't need to subject my eyes to that kind of strain when not at work. I have a huge collection of physical books, and regularly check out books from the library.

The only device I use is a nice bright booklight, for when I have to commute by bus in the dark.

message 15: by T.S. S. (new)

T.S. S. Fulk (tssfulk) | 7 comments Caroline wrote: "I read digital books for my job. I don't need to subject my eyes to that kind of strain when not at work. I have a huge collection of physical books, and regularly check out books from the library..."

That's what makes eInk readers so great—no eye strain. There is no light blasting into your eyes, just normal reflected light from the lamps like with paper books. An eInk reader is just like reading from a paper book. Try one before condemning it. iPads, computers, and phones, however, will fry your eyes.

message 16: by Bob (new)

Bob (YellowLab) | 2 comments I recently upgraded my Kobo to a Kindle Paperwhite. Wow! What a difference. The Paperwhite is one nice eReader.

message 17: by Caroline (new)

Caroline Berg | 10 comments T.S. S. wrote: [...]An eInk reader is just like reading from a paper book.[...]
But they aren't the same! It isn't quite as satisfying to hit people with electronics as opposed to my delightful physical books...

message 18: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Lee (kevintlee) | 2 comments Bob wrote: "I am 100% digital. I have a kobo and love it. My favorite thing about digital is the ability to carry so many books at once. Problem is on an airplane during taxi and takeoff you can't have it on."
The FAA recently changed its guidelines to allow this now provided you put the device in 'airplane mode'. The last time I flew I was not hastled to put my phone away on any of the logs.

Apparently it was proven that even while not on 'airplane mode' the cell phones had no interference to airline equipment but the attendants got used to your attention and tried to keep the regulation as it was.

Win for digital readers!

message 19: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Lee (kevintlee) | 2 comments Once I got my smart phone I almost completely ruled out my Nook Simple Touch because I'd read 4 or 5 books at a time jumping around and my phone and the nook couldn't keep up with my bookmarks.

Now, I'm 100% digital and read/listen to several books from my smart phone using MoonReader (the best android reading app) and MortPlayer Audiobook (the best audiobook player).

message 20: by T.S. S. (new)

T.S. S. Fulk (tssfulk) | 7 comments Caroline wrote: "T.S. S. wrote: [...]An eInk reader is just like reading from a paper book.[...]
But they aren't the same! It isn't quite as satisfying to hit people with electronics as opposed to my delightful ph..."

:-)