Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Blocking doesn't work in the update feed

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I have someone blocked. When I go to a review or thread, I cannot see their comments, I have to click if I want to. However, in the update feed, when the person comments on a friend's review, I can see it. I don't know if this is a bug or what, but it rather defeats the point of blocking as a means to end all communication (and therefore confrontation).

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I've seen this happen as well, so it's not just you Petra.

message 3: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl I complained about this ages, and ages, and ages ago. When you block someone, you don't completely block them. It's a problem!

message 4: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I complained about this ages, and ages, and ages ago. When you block someone, you don't completely block them. It's a problem!"

Did you get any feedback on this from GR?

message 5: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl It was so long ago I can't remember. It would be somewhere in Feedback but I hardly have the time or energy to search.

message 6: by Sheila (new)

Sheila  | 575 comments Is this the thread you are thinking of, Lobstergirl?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3...

message 7: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments What is the point of blocking comments if you go to a review, but showing them if the review goes to home page?

message 8: by Sheila (new)

Sheila  | 575 comments Oh, come on now, do you really expect everything (anything) to actually around here? They gave us the UGB. Doesn't that make you happy? ;o)

message 9: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Sheila wrote: "Is this the thread you are thinking of, Lobstergirl?

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/3..."

yes

message 10: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Petra X wrote: "I have someone blocked. When I go to a review or thread, I cannot see their comments, I have to click if I want to. However, in the update feed, when the person comments on a friend's review, I can..."

That's a bug - filed a ticket for you. If you encounter the problem again, screenshots would also be helpful. Thanks, all.

message 11: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Thank you. When I started this thread I could see the blocked member's comment in the feed but not on the review page now I can see it on that same review. However, on the original review the member was trolling me on, I cannot see the comments. So it is only associated with that review (maybe more, I don't know about that).

I have a screenshot of the blocked members page and of the comment that shows a) on the update page and b) now on the review page and c) where it does not show on the original review page. If you think they would be helpful I can send them to you.

message 12: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Petra X wrote: "Thank you. When I started this thread I could see the blocked member's comment in the feed but not on the review page now I can see it on that same review. However, on the original review the memb..."

That would be great!

message 13: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Sent.

message 14: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl This is driving me crazy!

message 15: by Carina (new)

Carina | 244 comments Sorry if this has died down or is another issue, but I have recently blocked a member so now on any threads I have to click to see thier review - I also don't get an e-mail notification if they comment on a thread which I have got alerts for which is great, but on the Goodreads page where you have the three icons - notifications, messages and friends I still get any updates from them on threads I frequent showing on there.

Now it is not a big issue but it strikes me as rather against the purpose of blocking them.

message 16: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments I wish blocked meant blocked, can't see 'em and they can't see me. Or at least, I can't see 'em. If I'd wanted to see all their activity then I wouldn't have blocked them, but any time they post to a thread I am subscribed to, I get a notification. I really would like not be continually reminded of this person at every turn.

message 17: by Carina (new)

Carina | 244 comments Agreed Petra X.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (OstensiblyA) | 358 comments Yes, I so agree with this. I have had the same issue with getting notifications on the site of comments made by people I've blocked. And I really hate that people can still like status updates and reviews of people I've blocked into my feed.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 331 comments I agree, Alicia. It seems strange that blocking a person doesn't block all activity. Blocking a person won't do anything if other people keep sending updates and reviews to your feed through likes of their posts.

message 20: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments All blocking seems to do is to stop the person messaging or viewing your profile and putting on that note on comments.

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (OstensiblyA) | 358 comments And even then they can still see info about you on your locked profile like your stats and librarian status. I was so confused today when someone I blocked was going on and on about me being a librarian so I must have the power to assume other users' identities. There was a reason I had blocked that person. So it would have been nice if they wouldn't have been able to get even that much information.

message 22: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments If I block someone it is because they are being a total pain in the arse. I am not blocking them because I am a tender flower and can't handle abuse, but because I don't want to have to deal with the person in any way. It is great they can no longer (except via the message on the friend-request) send me their crap, but I don't want to see their name on my update list because we have mutual friends. I would rather on a thread not even see their names. I think all of this could be accomplished by all instances of their name being replaced by the words "blocked member" everywhere on the site.

It really doesn't stop them looking at a profile or anything else - you can either do a site search on Google or make a sock puppet account. But if I can't see them around, I don't care. Out of sight, out of mind.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments So I have an odd question. If I blocked someone, can they see my posts in a thread? I thought it wasn't possible for them to see my posts and respond to me. And it means my profile is closed to them.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments BunWat wrote: "No - blocking just means you can't see their comments and they cannot message you. It does not mean they cannot see your comments. To a person you have blocked it just appears as if you have a priv..."

AH! Okay. I see. Thanks, BunWat. Cuz I was hoping the person who blocked me, I wouldn't see their comments anymore. hehehe.

♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme (lacrimsonfemme) | 470 comments BunWat wrote: "Perhaps a mutual block?"

Eh, not worth my time. But thanks for the suggestion. :)