Rockism 101 discussion

Head To Head match-up: > The Tea Party vs The Occupy Movement

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments Which has had more influence on the direction of our nation?

message 2: by Gary (new)

Gary | 134 comments I came across a great rant about this by Bill Maher. He pointed out the big difference. The Tea party not only protested, but it got itself mobilised and politically involved to the point where the Republican mainstream have to listen to their point of view.

(Ironically the responsibility for the US losing its credit rating falls squarely on the Tea party fanatics who convinced the credit companies that they would push America to default rather than raise a single penny in Tax. Thus they have already added billions in interest to the very deficit they vocally protest about)

Bill then said that the Occupy movement needs to get off its butt and into the ballot box, do all the work of rallying, putting up candidates and knocking on doors. Then perhaps the democratic party would have a group it could also point to and say to the right wing, "well I'd like to compromise with you, but I've got to deal with these crazy mother------s over here!"

message 3: by Ed (last edited Nov 06, 2012 08:24AM) (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments I was downtown Chicago during the NATO summit this summer - the largest organized event the US government had ever sponsored. It lasted a little over a week and there was a large number of Occupy protests there during the course of the week. There were a few skirmishes with the police, but for the most part it was just protests and camp-outs where a bunch of unbathed kids sung and danced and tried to re-create a circus-like Woodstock vibe and maybe even get laid.

I saw NO real poltical discourse. I listened into several conversations and the participants were just as close-minded, brain-washed and uninformed as the extremists on the Right. They seemed to be more interested in getting attention and being part of some idealized power drink TV commercial "cool" and "rebellious" activity than actually pushing for any kind of real change. In fact, they were probablly doing just as much harm as good for their "cause" since many of them were making themselves easy pickings to become the FOX News stereotypes of softball lefties who don't want to work and just suck off the government tit.

On the last day of the summit, I saw something that seemed pretty fitting as to the misdirected effort of these Occupy folks. These two 20 something kids were staking out a bank lobby, right around closing time. They ran up to the glass enclosed entryway and stuck a Protest sticker on the window then skipped off happily as if they had just stuck it to the man. Meanwhile a middle-aged hispanic cleaning lady who worked for the bank pushed her supply cart over to window and began using soap and water to remove the sticker . Within a couple of minutes there was no sign that the sticker had ever been there and only 4 people had ever seen the sticker. The two Occupy kids, me and the hispanic cleaning lady who was probably making minimum wage, yet I am pretty certain that those two Occupy kids would be tellling and tweeting their friends for days to come about how they had really stuck it to the man by plastering their message over a major bank's entryway.

message 4: by Gary (new)

Gary | 134 comments Yeah, that's pretty much what I suspected.

The UK had a bit of an incident last year where the shooting of a black kid in London apparently 'caused' a backlash that led to rioting in the cities. Certainly unrest was high and a mistrust of authority was coupled with an anger at deep government welfare cuts. Yet rioting, looting and greed just undermined any potential benefit and reinforced the popular image that the right-owned media was trying to portray of shiftless greedy spongers on the state.

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed Wagemann (EdWagemann) | 985 comments Its been my experience that, in general, mobs never accomplish anything but negative publicity...