Books2Movies Club discussion

Members' Corner > ChitChat About Anything

Comments (showing 1-50 of 157) (157 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Zeljka (last edited Nov 07, 2012 10:36AM) (new)

Zeljka (ZTook) | 1998 comments Mod
Not in the mood for books and movies right now?
Would like to get to know members a bit more?
Would like to simply chat with other members?
Need some advice and suggestions for something?

Here you have the thread for anything that comes to your mind :)

message 2: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 716 comments Mod
I've been enjoying the glorious fall weather here in Colorado, but with all the members here from all over the world, I'm curious what this time of year looks like for everyone else. Anyone snowed in yet? Early spring and new flowers elsewhere? Enjoying fall colors? Crazy storms, of course, for some of us. What's it look and feel like where you are?

message 3: by Zeljka (new)

Haha, that was fast :)

Here in Croatia the weather was unusually hot till the middle of October. Now the weather is literally moody, with glorious sunshines in the morning and thunderstorms and freezing winds in the afternoon, and opposite. A hurricane wind and downpour swept our shores a few days ago, but fortunately wasn't so strong as in US. Crazy weather indeed.

message 4: by Global (new)

Global Donnica (GlobalDonnica) Be safe... glad you guys are ok.....:)

message 5: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Bennett (Rbennett7) | 2 comments Do you blame the weather on global warming or just terrible coincidence

message 6: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments As the earth moves around the sun it does change its orbit over time and contribute to global warming. Man is also contributing to global warming with all the polution that he puts into the air. I don't blame the weather on global warming its just natural and man is not helping at all.

message 7: by Tai (new)

Tai (Poetress) | 19 comments I live in California now and with is great. But my family is in New England. And I've been worried about my family

message 8: by Tai (new)

Tai (Poetress) | 19 comments What meant to say is I live in California and the weather is great..LOL Fall is my favorite season. It reminds me of my childhood in Mass.

message 9: by Svevida (new)

Svevida | 12 comments Oh, I love fall too and winter particularly (Summer-lovers tend to freeze when I admit that out loud ;)
We have cold rain this evening after several indecisively warm days.
Well, in the past people talked about weather to avoid some heavier topics, unfortunately in last few years weather became much heavier topic (much too much).

message 10: by Alana (new)

The planet is following the natural way it has for thousands and even millions of years. We've had hot seasons and ice ages before, long before humans were here to "mess it up." Whether we're helping it along this time, scientists haven't definitively determined. But no one can argue the climate is changing, one way or another.

I was mostly just wondering what this time of year is like in other countries, since I only have experience in the northern hemisphere. I've lived in the U.S. all my life except for studying in Europe and Mexico, and while the seasons are a little different based on what latitude you happen to be on, they are relatively the same as far as the months go. Not so south of the equator, and I would LOVE to get to a country down there one day. Different constellations to see, having "summer" holidays in winter, etc.

message 11: by Alana (new)

O my goodness, Christmas in New Zealand sounds like so much fun! Frankly, ANYtime in New Zealand sounds wonderful...my husband wanted to take me there for our honeymoon but was just way too expensive. One day, though. I've done Christmas in two countries besides my own and it's a wonderful treat seeing how other cultures do their own traditions.

message 12: by Alana (new)

Oo, good question, Lisi! In the U.S. it more often varies family by family. Mine is pretty boring, we just have a drink, watch the new year ring in on the east coast and go to bed (we live on the west coast and apparently are old fogies now). If we do stay up tho, we normally just watch the countdown in major cities on TV so we don't have to fight the traffic and smoke from fireworks. Share a kiss then go to sleep, lol. Most people have parties though, we're just the boring ones.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I live in Arkansas and this time of year it gets up to almost 80 during the day and down to 40 at night. I'm pretty sure that sweaters will not be needed at Christmas this year either. I am grateful that there are no hurricanes but I wouldn't mind some normal fall and winter weather and I would love some snow. Lots of snow actually!

message 14: by Sonia (new)

Sonia Hernandez This Fall has been an unusual season in New Jersey. This is the second hurricane for the state and a nor'easter is headed this way. I did enjoy seeing the colors of the leaves change from vibrant green to the reds and orange stepping on the dry leaves. It's not hard to look for beauty in Fall.

message 15: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Alana wrote: "The planet is following the natural way it has for thousands and even millions of years. We've had hot seasons and ice ages before, long before humans were here to "mess it up." Whether we're helpi..."

Hey someone else knows about the Earths cycles.

message 16: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Alana wrote: "O my goodness, Christmas in New Zealand sounds like so much fun! Frankly, ANYtime in New Zealand sounds wonderful...my husband wanted to take me there for our honeymoon but was just way too expensi..."

I've done 2 Christmas in two other countries. I'm from the USA and I had 2 Christmas in Germany an 1 in Nam.

message 17: by Alana (new)

Lisi, I'm going to have to visit you down there for New Years' sometime, I think. We'll trade off years ;).

Sonia, I saw the weather report for the area today and I hope everyone's hunkered down and ready. I know it will be nothing like Sandy, but it's got to be rough after everything you all have gone through. Be safe!

Sara, I can relate; lived in Las Vegas for most of the last few years and it does get chilly in winter, but certainly nothing like a white Christmas. It's its own unique experience, though.

Ken, were those due to living there or military postings, if you don't mind my asking? Sounds like you've moved around a lot, but what neat experiences!

message 18: by Ken (last edited Nov 06, 2012 03:42AM) (new)

Ken | 57 comments Alana

I had military stations.

I had a quick stop in Japan. I have also been to France, Jamaica and every state in America, Alaska, but never have to Hawaii and a quick visit to Canada.

I don't remember anything really to Japan and Canada. Just passing through.

message 19: by Alana (new)

That's pretty incredible! My goal is to get to every state (only lacking the New England States and Alaska, although I'm not sure a trip to Hawaii as an infant counts) and every country in Europe, plus at least one country in every continent (excepting maybe Antartica, but if I had a chance, I would go just to say I did!). I love to travel and learn about new cultures. The best experiences I had were living for a few months in Germany and later in Mexico. I've learned that while cultural differences may be different on the surface, people are basically the same underneath it all, with the same desires and feelings.

Ken, do you still have friendships in or near all of those places?

message 20: by Ken (last edited Nov 06, 2012 08:11AM) (new)

Ken | 57 comments I did forget to mention Mexico. I was stationed at Ft Huachuca, Az.

I haven't had contact with anyone for many years. I would like to back again. I especially go and see the change in Berlin.

My daughter just moved from Alaska about a year ago and now lives in Michigan.

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Med0ra) | 24 comments Were in for our first big snow storm this weekend here in the Bakken oilfield in North Dakota. I'm from Minnesota so snow is nothing new to me.

message 22: by Alana (new)

Is it any different in ND than MN? Or is the quanitity the same, but the texture different? I would assume snow is dryer in ND so probably doesn't stick as well. (Can you tell it's been way too long since I lived anywhere with decent snow? I'm looking forward to this winter!)

message 23: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Lisa wrote: "Were in for our first big snow storm this weekend here in the Bakken oilfield in North Dakota. I'm from Minnesota so snow is nothing new to me."

Good luck. They have named your storm Brutus.

message 24: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Med0ra) | 24 comments Alana wrote: "Is it any different in ND than MN? Or is the quanitity the same, but the texture different? I would assume snow is dryer in ND so probably doesn't stick as well. (Can you tell it's been way too lon..."
In MN I live near the eastern border of ND and no difference in the snow there but here in western ND I was wondering the same thing! We did have a bit a week ago. It was the same sloppy wet stuff I've experienced before. I took my dog out this morning and there are drifts in the yard. I use the term yard loosely. I live in a RV park. It is all mud or dust. Now mud is definately differant here! I have never experienced such a mired mess in my life. After the snow storm is over I'll let you know my thoughts on ND snow.

message 25: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Med0ra) | 24 comments Ken wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Were in for our first big snow storm this weekend here in the Bakken oilfield in North Dakota. I'm from Minnesota so snow is nothing new to me."

Good luck. They have named your storm ..."

Ha ha I have not heard that! Thanks.

message 26: by Alana (new)

Lol Lisa, I have to say, I don't envy you. Sloppy mud has to be the most unpleasant stuff ever. Maybe it will be better later in the season.

message 27: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Lisi wrote: "Heading into our Summer down here in the South Pacific :D can't wait!!"

I'm jealous

message 28: by Ken (last edited Nov 09, 2012 05:36AM) (new)

Ken | 57 comments Lisa wrote: "Ken wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Were in for our first big snow storm this weekend here in the Bakken oilfield in North Dakota. I'm from Minnesota so snow is nothing new to me."

Good luck. They have named..."

Naming winter storms started this year. If it looks like a bad one they will name it.

message 29: by Nadré (new)

Nadré Wiggill (nadrenoeni) Hi everyone! I'm from Namibia (Southern Africa) and our summer is almost beginning... the summer Christmases are awesome! Fortunately I live at the coast, so the heat tends to be a bit more tollerable than the inland...

message 30: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Nadré wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm from Namibia (Southern Africa) and our summer is almost beginning... the summer Christmases are awesome! Fortunately I live at the coast, so the heat tends to be a bit more tollera..."

I had a summer Christmas once. Of course I was in Nam at the time.

It was hot as h___.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Med0ra) | 24 comments Alana wrote: "Lol Lisa, I have to say, I don't envy you. Sloppy mud has to be the most unpleasant stuff ever. Maybe it will be better later in the season."
It's better now that it has froze. Just hope it stays that way and I'm glad I will be in MN when it thaws in the spring!

message 32: by Zeljka (new)

Ken wrote: "Naming winter storms started this year. If it looks like a bad one they will name it."

:D

I was always wondering how do they (who, exactly?) pick names for storms. This one, Brutus, sounds quite ominous :)

Nadré wrote: "...the summer Christmases are awesome!"

Would be great to experience a summer Christmas, at least once :)

Here on the Adriatic coast snows very rarely, even then it melts very quickly. However, it did snow heavily this year for a week and it caused literally the chaos. Whole week I had to go on the foot to the work, constantly scared I would slip down the frozen slope (many of them on the way) into the oblivion :)

message 33: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Med0ra) | 24 comments Snow storm Brutus wasn't as bad in my area as in some others. About nine inches of snow and not much if any of the freezing rain other areas experienced before the snow started. Our problem has been frozen water in our camper. I'm kicking myself for not taking a shower yesterday when he got it running because it was froze again this morning! We have a polar package camper but when water is involved I don't think that is going to help!

message 34: by Alana (new)

Wow, that makes me very glad for my hot water and the relatively warm 50 degrees F.

So, all of you from around the world, what does Thanksgiving look like, if anything, to you? I know when I've visited other countries, they often do something for Thanksgiving, even though it's not a national holiday. Just wondering which countries do have some version of it, either during the Fall or another time, and what all it entails?

message 35: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Zeljka wrote: "Ken wrote: "Naming winter storms started this year. If it looks like a bad one they will name it."

:D

I was always wondering how do they (who, exactly?) pick names for storms. This one, Brutus, s..."

Even when I was stationed in Az there was snow but I really didn't see any snow stick.

I prefer snowy Christmases the one that I had in Nam was a very hot one with the enemy shooting at us. Which is probably why I would rather have a snowy Christmas.

message 36: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Lisa wrote: "Snow storm Brutus wasn't as bad in my area as in some others. About nine inches of snow and not much if any of the freezing rain other areas experienced before the snow started. Our problem has bee..."

My mobile home water lines froze a few times and I had to get under the trailer and thaw them out. Fun, fun, fun.

message 37: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Alana wrote: "Wow, that makes me very glad for my hot water and the relatively warm 50 degrees F.

So, all of you from around the world, what does Thanksgiving look like, if anything, to you? I know when I've vi..."

When I was in the Army over seas we had holiday time at Thanksgiving and Christmas which was a half a day on and the rest of the day off every day. The rest of the time was ours. Of course we were on alert since half of the Battalion was off on leave.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Med0ra) | 24 comments Ken wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Snow storm Brutus wasn't as bad in my area as in some others. About nine inches of snow and not much if any of the freezing rain other areas experienced before the snow started. Our pr..."
Yes thats my lucky husbands job. I'll be going back to my house in MN soon and I'm hoping he pulls the camper home and stays in company housing for the winter. He is pretty stubborn though.

message 39: by Lindsey (new)

Lindsey | 1 comments I'm in Austin,tx so needless to say the weather is still warm.. 80's sometimes 90...doesn't even feel like the fall...especially for me.this is my first yr in Texas. I'm originally from pa.so I'm used to the beautiful leaves and the chilly weather.hard to get into the spirit of the holidays.:-!

message 40: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Lindsey wrote: "I'm in Austin,tx so needless to say the weather is still warm.. 80's sometimes 90...doesn't even feel like the fall...especially for me.this is my first yr in Texas. I'm originally from pa.so I'm u..."

I must say that I am jealous.

message 41: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments I went and saw "Cloud Atlas" today. I liked the movie. Now I will read the book to see if it better. It probably is though.

message 42: by Alana (new)

I haven't heard from anyone else who has seen it. I've heard the book does the stories in halves, does the film do that? If so, did you find it made the story difficult to follow at all?

message 43: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments Alana wrote: "I haven't heard from anyone else who has seen it. I've heard the book does the stories in halves, does the film do that? If so, did you find it made the story difficult to follow at all?"

At first I had difficulty is fallowing it. Bit then I realized that it was 5 stories in one and they jumped from one to the other. After I realized how it was done I fallowed it just fine.

message 44: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments I just saw a trailer for Max Books book "World War Z". The movie looks like its going to be fantastic. Of course I like zombie stories the most so I might be slighted towards it.

message 45: by Don (new)

Don (TheSyFyGuy) | 5 comments Ken wrote: "I just saw a trailer for Max Books book "World War Z". The movie looks like its going to be fantastic. Of course I like zombie stories the most so I might be slighted towards it."

So many people seem to be dissing the trailer, but I loved it. It really looks amazing. I know it won't be the book, but even Lord Of The Rings wasn't the book, and those films ruled, so I have hope for this too.

message 46: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 40 comments I want to join the conversation! What are we talking about?

message 47: by Don (new)

Don (TheSyFyGuy) | 5 comments Blueturtles wrote: "I want to join the conversation! What are we talking about?"

Anything you feel like. No real topic yet. Got one?

message 48: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah_endipity) | 40 comments Did anyone else like the hunger games better in the movies?

message 49: by Ken (new)

Ken | 57 comments I liked the hunger games books better than the movie. I did however enjoy the movie. I rented it again to see it once more.

I'm watching the Abraham Lincoln vampire slayer. The book dragged on and there wasn't enough action. The movie has more action is my opinion and is there is much better.

message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (Med0ra) | 24 comments Ken wrote: "I just saw a trailer for Max Books book "World War Z". The movie looks like its going to be fantastic. Of course I like zombie stories the most so I might be slighted towards it."
I like the Zombies too. Not sure if Brad Pitt is going to impress me in this. I have my permanent image of him as Tristan Ludlow in Legends of the Fall. I can't remember what I thought of him as Louis in Interview With the Vampire. May have to watch that again. I can say I wasn't liking Tom Cruise as a vampire. I've read both of those books. Interview With the Vampire is the only Anne Rice book I can stand.

« previous 1 3 4