Women's Fiction authors discussion

Women's Writers and Goodreads

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Hi fellow women's writers, I am interested in learning all the ways you use Goodreads and what you see as the benefits

message 2: by Maria (new)

Maria Ciletti (MariaCiletti) | 3 comments Hi Carol, I've had good luck advertising on Goodreads using their self serve ad campaign. It's affordable and I have noticed nice increase in sales. I also participate in book giveaways. I think it's a great way to get your book out there.

message 3: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Maria wrote: "Hi Carol, I've had good luck advertising on Goodreads using their self serve ad campaign. It's affordable and I have noticed nice increase in sales. I also participate in book giveaways. I t..."

Thanks Maria, I am prepping a novel for self-pub and will check out both ideas

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Oakes (ColleenOakes) | 10 comments I'm learning as I go. I've had a Goodreads campaign, but haven't seen a noticeable difference in sales. Mostly, I think it's just getting the book out there, getting reviews and making connections with other authors - like you fine ladies!

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Ciletti (MariaCiletti) | 3 comments Colleen wrote: "I'm learning as I go. I've had a Goodreads campaign, but haven't seen a noticeable difference in sales. Mostly, I think it's just getting the book out there, getting reviews and making connection..."

Yes, thats it. Get your book out there and get those reviews. You will be surprised how effective it will be.

message 6: by Lincoln (new)

Lincoln (lincolnpark) I use Goodreads as a way to reach readers, directly; Whereas on twitter, I seem to connect with more writing colleagues than readers.

I'm not really sure if it is working, but I did a book giveaway a few months ago and I'm really trying to be more engaged with Goodreaders. I think this is a wonderful place -- if I can ever break away from writing my novels long enough to enjoy it! LOL

message 7: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Oakes (ColleenOakes) | 10 comments Sometimes I feel the social media side of being an author is overwhelming and VERY time consuming. LINCOLN, I know how you feel!

message 8: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Buchanan | 18 comments I've recently learned of one unique thing you can do for your book(s) if you are a GR author. You can add your characters names to your book page, and add photos of that character. You can also add the settings/cities that your story takes place in. If you want to do this, go to your book's page and click on edit details. Midway down underneath the ISBN number you'll see a button to click on for "add characters". Click on it and add your names then hit the save button. Then go back to your page and your names should be there. If you want to add a photo of them, click on edit character and then click on their individual name - you can then upload a photo of them.

Also, don't forget on your book page to fill in your Metadata. The metadata tab button is at the top of your page when you click on edit your books details.

This is something simple you can do to help promote your book and it offers a little more insight into your characters.

:)

message 9: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Colleen wrote: "Sometimes I feel the social media side of being an author is overwhelming and VERY time consuming. LINCOLN, I know how you feel!"

Colleen, Exactly!

message 10: by Dale (new)

Dale Harcombe | 54 comments thanks for the info Belinda. Will check it out when I get time. Sometimes it does seem we spend so much time doing other things like marketing and interacting rather than writing.

message 11: by Belinda (new)

Belinda Buchanan | 18 comments Dale wrote: "thanks for the info Belinda. Will check it out when I get time. Sometimes it does seem we spend so much time doing other things like marketing and interacting rather than writing."

I know exactly what you mean, Dale.

message 12: by Deobrah (new)

Deobrah Jensen (dkjensen) | 10 comments Belinda wrote: "I've recently learned of one unique thing you can do for your book(s) if you are a GR author. You can add your characters names to your book page, and add photos of that character. You can also a..."

Colleen wrote: "Sometimes I feel the social media side of being an author is overwhelming and VERY time consuming. LINCOLN, I know how you feel!"

Good information, thank you Belinda!

message 13: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 3 comments I can so relate to all of this. I want so much to find time to write the new book, but blogging... promoting... an social networking for the current book takes up all my time. There has to be a better way!
Fishtails by Nanci Williams

message 14: by Deobrah (new)

Deobrah Jensen (dkjensen) | 10 comments My intention today was to take the afternoon to write but I got caught up in doing my marketing via Twitter, Goodreads, Facebook. Yikes! But it's important.

message 15: by Carol (new)

Carol Brill (goodreadscomuser_carolbrill) Nanci wrote: "I can so relate to all of this. I want so much to find time to write the new book, but blogging... promoting... an social networking for the current book takes up all my time. There has to be a b..."

Nanci, love your book cover

message 16: by Deobrah (new)

Deobrah Jensen (dkjensen) | 10 comments LiNCOLN wrote: "I use Goodreads as a way to reach readers, directly; Whereas on twitter, I seem to connect with more writing colleagues than readers.

I'm not really sure if it is working, but I did a book giveawa..."

I was thinking the same thing, I am not getting to the readers via Twitter. Facebook is a little better, I can reach more of my audience. I want to revamp my marketing plan but so many authors say that social media is the way to go these days. I guess it's a matter of finding what path works best.

message 17: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 3 comments Thank you!

message 18: by Nanci (new)

Nanci | 3 comments I met an author last week who said he is getting the best results (fans/likes) from Facebook advertising.