You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Closed Discussion Topic > December 2012 - Book Nominations

Comments (showing 1-23 of 23) (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments OK, the Theme for December is:

The End of the World As We Know It - including post-apocalyptic, dystopian and any creature (vampire, zombie) that is the catalyst for an apocalyptic event. It could also be a virus, natural disaster, man-made disaster.

Please keep the following in mind when nominating books:

- To allow enough time for as many people as possible to read, try and limit the page count to approximately 400 pages maximum.
- To ensure the book is available for as many readers as possible, please consider whether your nomination is 1) still in print or 2) available as a reasonably-priced e-book (under $12) or 3) published no less than 3 months ago. These are not requirements of course, but suggestions :)

Happy shelf searching!

message 2: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Some nominations to get the ball rolling:

The Things That Keep Us Here (No zombies!)

Earth Abides (still no zombies)

The First Days (yeah, zombies!)

message 4: by Lori (new)

Lori (GlitzyRebel) | 398 comments Nominating:
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

It is always possible I've completely missed the point, but may I suggest The Children of Men by P.D. James?
(contains no zombies)

message 6: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (Rusalkii) | 12988 comments Ooo good one Helen.

My vote is for The Windup Girl The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi

Dystopian future in Thailand, and it's won heaps of awards.

message 7: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29846 comments Helen wrote: "It is always possible I've completely missed the point, but may I suggest The Children of Men by P.D. James?
(contains no zombies)"

That book sounds interesting, Helen. Since it is dystopia, it fits the theme perfectly.

message 8: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments I nominate White Horse by Alex Adams White Horse, a great post-apocalytic novel with no zombies.

The First Days (As The World Dies A Zombie Trilogy #1) by Rhiannon Frater The First Days, with zombies :)

message 9: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments I really enjoyed The Children of Men, Helen, and it most definitely fits the theme.

The movie was very good too.

message 10: by Fumi (new)

Fumi Hancock (fumihancock) | 18 comments I nominate the Hobbit. Really enjoyed it.

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

message 11: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29846 comments I don't think The Hobbit is the correct genre. It falls under the fantasy genre instead of post-apocolytic or dystopian.

message 12: by Janice, Moderator (last edited Nov 06, 2012 12:35PM) (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29846 comments I found a couple that I would like to nominate:

Z Strain - zombies!
Taken

message 13: by AmyK (new)

AmyK (Yakyma) | 1014 comments This one looks like it could be promising The Age of Miracles

message 14: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (Rusalkii) | 12988 comments Heard really good things about that one AmyK

message 15: by Fumi (new)

Fumi Hancock (fumihancock) | 18 comments I will go with the Wind Up Girl. Thank you

message 16: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (JaMaSc) | 29846 comments Fumi wrote: "I will go with the Wind Up Girl. Thank you"

The purpose of this thread is for people to nominate books that fit the theme. Once nominations close, Kat will create a poll. We will then vote on those books. The top two books will be the books chosen as the December group reads.

Since The Windup Girl has already been nomiated, you may nominate another book that fits the theme Fumi.

message 17: by jaxnsmom (new)

jaxnsmom | 8146 comments But you don't have to nominate another book if you plan to vote for one of the books already nominated. I basically nominated The First Days after Kat had.

message 18: by Kat (last edited Nov 07, 2012 01:31AM) (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Fumi wrote: "I nominate the Hobbit. Really enjoyed it.

The Hobbit unfortunately doesn't fit with the genre post-apocalyptic/dystopian. Do you have any books within that genre that you would like to nominate, Fumi?

As JMom pointed out, it's not necessary to nominate another book :)

message 19: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments And as always, I forgot to point out that book nominations close on November 10th!

message 20: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 13047 comments Chelsea wrote: "Silver wrote: "On the Beach by Nevil Shute"

Ooooo, Silver. That's a good one!"

I will read any book by Nevil Shute. I think I tried to when I discovered him in High School. It has been a long time since then though. I probably read this one, but I can't remember, so I will be sure to enjoy et again, if it is picked. LOL!

message 21: by Silver (new)

Silver | 342 comments Cherie wrote: "Chelsea wrote: "Silver wrote: "On the Beach by Nevil Shute"

Ooooo, Silver. That's a good one!"

I will read any book by Nevil Shute. I think I tried to when I discovered him in High School. It h..."

I really liked A Town Like Alice when I read it, and I am fan of dystopic/apocalyptic literature so I was quite excited when I first came across this book.

message 22: by April (new)

April | 970 comments Hmmmm......interesting genre and I can't wait to see what book wins! I can't think of anything to nominate right now (but I'm sure something will come to mind after nominations close). I'm looking forward to voting!!

By the way, I've heard a lot about the The Windup Girl. Again, I'm excited to see what we will be reading!

message 23: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatZombie) | 2478 comments Thanks all! Poll is now up http://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/74...

I've only included the first nomination from everyone as we had quite a list, but as The First Days was nominated twice, it's also included.

Voting closes on November 18!