Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

What are U doing today? > Friday, Feb. 20, 2009 - What are U doing today?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 20, 2009 02:23AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16320 comments Today is our 49th Wedding Anniversary. We were married on Feb. 20, 1960.

Photobucket
We plan to go out to dinner today with our son who is visiting.
Last weekend we started celebrating by going out to dinner with our other son and his family:
Photobucket
We're eating well on our 49th Anniversary. :)

message 2: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Feb 20, 2009 02:22AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16320 comments See larger pics at:

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/jj...
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL25/9...

Here's a group shot:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL25/9...

The 2009 pics were taken at Dunham's Bay Resort in Queensbury, NY.

message 3: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5916 comments Congrats, Joy & Eddie!!!

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Congrats Joy & Eddie!!!

Have a wonderful dinner!! Love the pictures...

message 5: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16320 comments Thank you, Jim and Becky.
Making it to 49 years doesn't seem as hard as reaching for the 50th. From 49 to 50 seems the crucial year. The last mile is the longest mile.
~~~~~~~~~~ Photobucket ~~~~~~~~~~

message 6: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5916 comments Oh, don't worry about a silly number. The main thing is you've had a long wonderful time.

message 7: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16320 comments LOL - Oh, but I do want to make it to 50 years! I know it's silly and it's only a number, but the number, "50", does seem to evoke a sense of closure. But not in a bad way... :)

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) I am going to get the oil changed in my car-don't you all wish you could be me??!

message 9: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16320 comments LOL - You can have that job, Becky. :)

I don't even pump gas. The few times that I have to do it, I ask the drivers nearby to help me. It isn't easy being a princess. :)

If the day ever comes when I have to do it, I'll have to learn fast.

BTW, my sister takes care of keeping her family's cars in repair. MY BIL is a prince. (g)

message 10: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5916 comments I changed the oil in my truck the week before last. Much beyond that & I give it to my neighbor. He's a mechanic & has his own garage. He does a good job, never charges me enough, takes the car in & parks it back in my driveway. Can't ask for more than that. The rest of the equipment, I take care of. Fixing the Gravely, tractor & such is a lot easier than a car.

Joy, 50 IS a nice round number, but don't say 'closeur'! Just one more year. You have plenty left.

message 11: by Becky (new)

Becky (BeckyMurr) Joy-I take the car for oil changes & I did fill the tank LOL But that's it....Ed does most of the work on it & he washes it.....this weekend he is putting new brakes on my buggy....

message 12: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16320 comments Jim - you have a good neighbor. That's a blessing in so many ways.

Becky - Washing the car is not high on Ed's priority list. I wish it were. (g)

Jim - My mom lived to age 90. Her sister lived to age 104. Their mom lived to age 96. Ed's Mom lived to 93. I don't know how they did it!

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim (JimMacLachlan) | 5916 comments You wash cars? Ours get washed by the rain. A couple of times a year, I'll clean the inside & I generally sweep or at least rake out the bed after using it. Makes it interesting when I look for something in there. I generally find stuff I hadn't known I had.

My boss had a flat this morning, so we dropped his car off at the tire place nearby. He got into my truck & made nary a comment as he carefully kicked his feet free of bailing twine as he got out. He grew up on a farm, although he lives in the city now, unlike my old boss in MD. She made lots of comments about my truck.

message 14: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 16320 comments LOL about washing the cars. Yes, the rain does a good job... especially on the car which isn't in the carport. (g)

Things to tend to pile up inside a car. Only the most fastidious can avoid this. Eddie tends not to care what his car looks like and since he's a do-it-yourself person, there are quite a few items left in the car when he's busy working on things.

Whenever I see a car in a parking lot with lots of stuff inside, I breathe a sigh of relief that I'm not the only one who doesn't have a perfect car. In fact, peope with perfect cars tend to make me nervous. (g) My sister is one of them. God forbid if she gets mud on her white wall tires! LOL Last March I took her to see the ski slopes at West Mountain here. She wasn't impressed. All she could think about was the mud getting on her tires in the parking lot. Hey, I didn't mind. It meant spring was coming!!