Port Angeles YA/Fantasy! discussion

Books > What are you currently reading?

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bethany (new)

Bethany | 11 comments Mod
Tell us what book you're reading at the moment and what you think of it.

I just finished a book I got from Netgalley- Lichgates (Grimoire Trilogy #1) by S. M. Boyce It was fantastic. One of the best fantasy books I've read all year and it's only $2.99 on amazon. I highly recommend it!

message 2: by Charity (new)

Charity I'm reading Ghost Ship and so far it's turning into my favorite mystery series. Got to love that it's based in our area! This starts with a hike to the light house off of Voice of America.

message 3: by Charity (new)

Charity Then I discovered Ann Aguirre and have been playing catch up with two of her series.

message 4: by Bethany (last edited Nov 06, 2012 03:00PM) (new)

Awesome! I haven't read Ghost Ship yet, i'll have to check it out.

I love Ann Aguirre. I just finished Outpost (Razorland, #2) by Ann Aguirre a few days ago and it was great. Razorland is one of my all time favorite post-apocalyptic series.

I'm kinda plowing through books at the moment. I'm reading a lot of stuff from Netgalley.
Alternity by Mari Mancusi Not Exactly a Love Story by Audrey Couloumbis Pantomime by Laura Lam to name a few.

Also in the middle of The Star Dwellers (The Dwellers, #2) by David Estes and Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2) by Moira Young

So, yeah, I'm reading a lot right now :)

message 5: by Charity (new)

Charity So is the second Dust land book as tough to read as the first? I tried reading Blood Red Road and well it seemed an awsome idea the mix of slang, and the grammer killed me.
It was a mix of -I want to read this story- and I want to forget I had ever seen it! But if the second one is better I could force myself to stumble through the fisrt.

message 6: by Bethany (new)

Charity wrote: "So is the second Dust land book as tough to read as the first? I tried reading Blood Red Road and well it seemed an awsome idea the mix of slang, and the grammer killed me.
It was a mix of -I want ..."

haha. I completely understand. I 'started' Blood Red Road about three different times before I was actually able to get past the third page. At first I was like, "uh, I can't handle how this girl talks and HEY! where the heck are the quotation marks. How do I know who's speaking?!"

But for me, that all faded away pretty quickly as I got into the story. I would even venture to say that by chapter two, my mind no longer registered spelling and grammar. I was pretty invested in Saba's story.

Hopefully this will be the case for you. I think it's an incredible book. It's one of my favorites. I would at least challenge yourself to get past the first two or three chapters before you give up on it. It gets really good after she starts her 'journey'. A lot of people have said the same thing about the writing, that it bothered them at first, but they quickly forgot about it.