Time Travel discussion

Time Travel at the Movies > The "Looper Effect" (more time travel movies on the way)

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amy, Queen of Time (new)

Amy | 2196 comments Mod
The growth in the time travel genre at the movies is being called "The Looper Effect" (http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/looper...). What's coming soon to a theatre near you? It looks like the common denominators are Tom Cruise, time-traveling astronauts, and found-footage of teen time travelers. Is it just me, or does that sound a bit lackluster?

* Leonardo DiCaprio's time travel Twilight Zone movie has a pilot breaking the speed of light & time traveling: more info
*Tom Cruise’s adaptation of All You Need Is Kill : more info
*Glimmer is a found-footage, teen-centered time-travel movie: more info
*Almanac is another found-footage time travel movie featuring teens: more info
*Our Name is Adam has astronaut Tom Cruise going back in time to meet himself: more info
*Rise of the Planet of the Apes 2 (yet another astronaut time traveler): more info

message 2: by Tej (new)

Tej (TheyCallMeMrGlass) | 1676 comments Mod
Yay, lots of time travel movies on their way. Very exciting, stuff Amy.

The only thing is, the new Rise of the Planet of the Apes aren't time travel movies. That is just pure speculation from the Vulture article just because the first and third films of the old saga had time travel. The new films are straight forward evolution movies. No official synopsis have been released otherwise it would be on the always updated IMDB by now.

message 3: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments Hey you guys, in the industry any hit results in a plethora of wannabes & that's not always a bad thing.

Westerns & spy flicks are but two examples & horror or detective two more, just add your genre; if it made $$ just watch this.

With hope a couple of these will be worth a watch, too.

As an aside (& as Tej & I have discussed), early TV shows had many competing TT episodes, as being strange by definition, they were more interesting (they hoped) than the standard comedy or drama shows & back in the beginning they were more open (I think) to chance something different.

Thanks for the list, Amy & I hope we won't be disappointed.

message 4: by John, Moderator in Memory (last edited Nov 05, 2012 06:34AM) (new)

John | 834 comments Mod
Yesssss!!! Sweet!!! Yahoooo!!! Cowabunga!!! Yippeee!!! Oh yeah!!! Awesomesauce!!! Hooray!!! Woot, woot!!! Huzzah!!!

Did I miss any?

message 5: by Howard (new)

Howard Loring (howardloringgoodreadscom) | 1174 comments John, probably a few but we get your gist.

I wasn't on the floor laughing or anything, but your post made me smile.

And Tej, on the 'greatest movie' list I picked the 1st POTA & think that the best part of the last one was Heston's cameo.

Amy, as for early TV, 'Science Fiction Theatre,' 'Tales of Tommorrow,' 'One step Beyond,' & later 'Twilight Zone' are all gold mines for TT but no one had more on this theme (I think, at least) than the original 'Outer Limits.'

Often it's to a small degree only with the bulk of the story concerned with other themes, but as I said the infant medium was very open & saw the potential, the sometimes unconcious, universal interest in the subject & they were desperate.

Lucky for us.

message 6: by Tej (new)

John wrote: "Yesssss!!! Sweet!!! Yahoooo!!! Cowabunga!!! Yippeee!!! Oh yeah!!! Awesomesauce!!! Hooray!!! Woot, woot!!! Huzzah!!!

Did I miss any?"

Thanks for expanding "The Happy" category of my vocabulary two-fold :)

message 7: by Glynn (new)

Glynn | 231 comments Amy wrote: "The growth in the time travel genre at the movies is being called "The Looper Effect" (http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/looper...). What's coming soon to a thea..."

Another Rise of the Planet of the Apes? Overkill, I think! :(

message 8: by Tej (last edited Nov 05, 2012 05:28PM) (new)

Glynn wrote: "Amy wrote: "The growth in the time travel genre at the movies is being called "The Looper Effect" (http://www.vulture.com/2012/11/looper...). What's coming so..."

Not sure if you seen any of the films but the new films are partly reboot of the old 70s saga and a prequel to the first Planet of the Apes film. The first Rise was just the beginning of the story of how the Apes eventually rule the planet. It was a fantastic film and well received by audience and critics. Sequels are very much welcome! They are ignoring all the sequels of the old saga and just focussing on the first Heston starring vehicle because it is clear that they are ignoring the time travel loop established in the 3rd film, a different explanation of the apes evolution is suggested in the new ones.

The only thing about these prequels is that they are quite definitely not time travel movies of any sort but I will still use some of John's vocabulary to express my excitement for the sequel :)