Romance Audiobooks discussion

Archives of Old Topics > November 2012 Non-Romance Listening

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (last edited Nov 04, 2012 08:27AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Hope no one minds my starting this thread, but I discovered a new romance/suspense author I hadn't tried before Carla Neggers and started with The Widow. An excellent mystery, a woman loses her husband four days after their marriage seven years earlier. Lot's of drama from this small coastal town and a killer hidden among them. About a third of the way through it and I already added the 3 other books of this series to my reading list. Suspicious but I really don't have a clue yet who did it. Voice is cultered but not so much that it's off putting. Fits the mix of high end citizenship this book is entangled with.

message 2: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments conflicted on what I should listen to when i finish the Hobbit tomorrow - Iced or Extreme Exposure

message 3: by Sue (last edited Nov 06, 2012 07:49AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "Hope no one minds my starting this thread, but I discovered a new romance/suspense author I hadn't tried before Carla Neggers and started with The Widow. An excellent mystery, a woman loses her hu..."

I found this to be a good read, I thought they hid the killer extremely well or I'm a poor judge on "guessing" because I was split for quite a while between three characters. The widow in this case cannot move on with her life until she's closed the door on her past life. You come to realize as she does that she's no longer the bright eyed 25 year old who married her husband. But she's more mature and is definitely coming alive as someone wants to see her dead. Sorry, I checked this out at the library and don't have the narrator's name, but I can tell you I thought the tone and pitch were excellent and at key times contained the right note of suspense.

message 4: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Try Faceless Killers the book is excellent, I absolutely love this flawed hero Inspector Kurt Wallander. Following on the growing popularity of the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo readers of that have drifted over to this author. I'd say it's different from "Girl" but the flavor of Swedish writing comes through, as I said the hero is truly flawed. He is opinionated, loyal and disallusioned at points. But, his inability to not do the right thing is what makes him worthy of our attention.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy Gill (judyinthejungle) | 26 comments Here's a super-fantastic non-romance audio books--Wanted Man, the new Jack Reacher novel by Lee Child.

message 6: by Judy (new)

Judy Gill (judyinthejungle) | 26 comments Sue wrote: "Sue wrote: "Hope no one minds my starting this thread, but I discovered a new romance/suspense author I hadn't tried before Carla Neggers and started with The Widow. An excellent mystery, a woman ..."

I love Karla Neggers's books. Don't have any audible one yet, but have read a lot in electronic format on my Sony Pocket. Now, I have the option of transferring my whole library to the iPad, so I'll have it all, audio, electronic and print in one convenient place. God bless my two daughters, granddaughter, and big sister for helping me get that iPad.

Sue wrote: "Try Faceless Killers the book is excellent, I absolutely love this flawed hero Inspector Kurt Wallander. Following on the growing popularity of the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo readers of that ..."

I'm looking him up right now. Thanks for the tip.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Judy wrote: "Sue wrote: "Sue wrote: "Hope no one minds my starting this thread, but I discovered a new romance/suspense author I hadn't tried before Carla Neggers and started with The Widow. An excellent myste..."

Glad I could help, I have already decided on my next few audio books. I'll let you know how they work out and they are:

Envy
NYPD Red
Confessions of a Murder Suspect
Killer View
City of Glass

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments Sue wrote: "Try Faceless Killers the book is excellent, I absolutely love this flawed hero Inspector Kurt Wallander. Following on the growing popularity of the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo readers of that ..."

I liked Faceless killers and Henning Mankell is a standard in Scandanavian mysteries. I actually enjoyed the second book - The Dogs of Riga more and I have all the audiobooks on the pile to listen to

similar authors - Jo nesbo (his first books have now been released in English and audible has them), Sara Blaedel (only the 3rd book in her series is available in english currently), Camilla Lackberg (first 3 books out in english/and in audiobook), Anne Holt (her books are starting to come out in English), James Thompson (American living in Finland - I think books 2-3 in his series are out in audiobook), Quentin Bates, Jussi Adler-Olsen and many others

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Dee wrote: "Sue wrote: "Try Faceless Killers the book is excellent, I absolutely love this flawed hero Inspector Kurt Wallander. Following on the growing popularity of the The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo read..."

The Dogs of Riga I have the paper copy (my sister is a huge fan of Swedish authors), so there you go.

Thanks for the other recommendations, I'll be sure to share them with her. She and I have a love of books though I like romance more than she does, she's definitely a mystery/thriller fan and if romance is in there she'd good but it's not a prerequisite.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments np Sue - I moderate a nordic noir group here on GR, if you want to check it out

message 11: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Onto NYPD Red - I have high hopes for this one. I love Patterson's Michael Bennett series and hoping for something close.

message 12: by Brittany B. (new)

Brittany B. (Benoibe) | 310 comments Listened to The Autobiography of Henry VIII: With Notes by His Fool, Will Somers by Margaret George.

***The best audiobook experience I've ever had. Nothing compares. The story of Henry life from boyhood to death, told through his own POV. Excellent beyond my imagination. A beautifully written book with insights of live, love, youth and old age. Clever and witty at times.

One more must-read is The Boleyn Inheritance. It is the story of his last three wives. It is very witty at times.

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy Gill (judyinthejungle) | 26 comments Funny, I read the book some time ago, but listening to it puts me right to sleep. I think it's the narrator's voice. I found the same in Winter of the World, by Ken Follett. I must be the British accent and delivery.

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments started listening to Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin - I def. don't think this could have been narrated by anyone by Kathy Griffin

Nichole ~Bookaholic~ (Nicholebookaholic) | 225 comments I am listening to Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues (White Trash Zombie, #2) by Diana Rowland....this is a good series so far

message 16: by Sue (last edited Nov 17, 2012 01:41PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "Onto NYPD Red - I have high hopes for this one. I love Patterson's Michael Bennett series and hoping for something close."

Promising start, I don't see this as a one and done detective series for Patterson. Did it grip me from beginning to end like Step on a Crack - Michael Bennett? No. But then again, I'm not sure anything would top that. But, I really enjoyed it and Patterson built a solid foundation for future books.

Now onto Ridley Pearson's Killer View read by Christopher Lane.

message 17: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments I'm about 20% into Killer View, prior to this book I'd never read a Pearson novel. WOW was I missing something, it's gripping and suspenseful right from the start. Absolutely love it and Christopher Lane's narration is perfect.

Not sure if I mentioned this but my recent expansion to new authors has to do with audio books. I was horrible in the past and only stayed loyal and entranced with less than 10 authors. In the year I've been listening to audio my "tried authors" numbers are now closer to 50, possibly more. Audio not only makes my commute, housework, gardening task a breeze but I no longer begrudge the time it takes to complete them. Yeah AUDIO!

message 18: by Christina (new)

Christina | 54 comments I just finished The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny yesterday. Since a friend lent me the first in this series in print earlier this year, I have devoured all the rest in audio. A wonderful mystery series with a great narrator. I know I've mentioned them before, but I just had to make another plug for this great series of books. The narrator, Ralph Cosham, is so good. Now that I am caught up with all of the books it will be hard to wait for the next one.

message 19: by Sue (last edited Nov 28, 2012 03:59AM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Christina, Still Life is the first of the series you mentioned by Louise Penny. And lucky me my library carries the title. I'm attracted to the series for several reasons', my french canadian ancesty, my love of Montreal and finally I absolutely love a good detective series.

Thanks for the suggestion, it'll be a while before I get to it... but it's in my queue. I mentioned earlier in the monthFaceless Killers you might want to give that a try.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "I'm about 20% into Killer View, prior to this book I'd never read a Pearson novel. WOW was I missing something, it's gripping and suspenseful right from the start. Absolutely love it and Christop..."

Excellent book and the narration was perfect, exactly what you'd think of a gruff sherrif. Nice personal interplay going on adds to the spice of this series. I'll have to double back and read the first of this series, because this one was great.

message 21: by Sue (last edited Nov 21, 2012 01:57PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Now onto Patterson's Confessions of a Murder Suspect. Probably start it tomorrow as I'm preparing for Turkey day. Chores go alot faster when you have something occuping your mind. Trying to get my fill of thrillers before I start my Christmas listening list, I can already predict I'll be more than ready.

message 22: by Sue (last edited Nov 26, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "Now onto Patterson's Confessions of a Murder Suspect. Probably start it tomorrow as I'm preparing for Turkey day. Chores go alot faster when you have something occuping your mind. Trying to get ..."

My review the audio was excellent, but the ending fell short. Left to much to a sequel, I'm very open to readers "filling" in the ending. But if to much is left open it feels like an amature piece which to me is ridiculous for Patterson to employ. The premise and plot were excellent, had a flavor of "Maximum Ride" to it where ... I'll leave that thought open it would be giving to much away otherwise.

message 23: by Sue (last edited Nov 26, 2012 06:21PM) (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Now onto my last planned audio from my November reading list, probably the last Patterson book I'll read for a bit.. Kiss the Girls

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 1361 comments almost done with The Silent Girl, next up is Grave Mercy

message 25: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1116 comments Sue wrote: "Now onto my last planned audio from my November reading list, probably the last Patterson book I'll read for a bit.. Kiss the Girls"

As you'd expect this book rocked! Robert Guillaume was the voice of Alex, he did a very credible job. Unfortunantely Morgan Freeman's voice was more dominate in my head... lol. That's it for my November Reading list... off to Christmas Theme's.

message 26: by Vic (new)

Vic (Vicaet) | 494 comments Finished Trapped on Tuesday. Man, I really enjoy this series. Unbelievable how awesome is the combination of author and narrator on this series!!