Our History discussion

History of Cuba

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Annie (new)

Annie | 9 comments I have dreams of one day going to Cuba, and I like to read as much as I can about a country before going there. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am looking for both pre- and post-Fidel stuff. Thanks!

message 2: by Lilias (last edited Dec 30, 2007 07:24PM) (new)

Lilias Hi Annie,
It's about Cuba under Castro, but I have heard very good things about The Americano : The Last American Rebel In Castro's Cuba, by Aran Shetterly, but I haven't read it yet. I plan to, though.

(edit: it didn't link to the book when I put the link in, but when you search on this website for the author or title it does come up.)

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Lopez | 5 comments Hi,
This is a movie / music recommendation more than a book, but The Buena Vista Social Club is a terrific documentary about a group of Cuban musicians, and you might also enjoy the many related CDs if you're interested in Cuba. Not sure if there's a related book, though? I should check...
-Jonathan

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

An interesting book about Cuba and the MOB is quite a good read and covers the rise and fall of all the principals. Batista, Castro and Myer Lansky. It is called Havana Nocturne.I learned quite a bit about the recent history of Cuba to boot. The author is J.P.English
James

message 5: by secondwomn (new)

secondwomn (dragonbird) | 1 comments Hi Annie,

I'm also really interested in Cuba (I grew up in Miami, so no surprise there) -- I am just finishing Louis A Perez's On Becoming Cuban, which focuses on the development of national identity in Cuba following the colonial period, ending with the 1950s. It's a great overview of national and historical themes and explores sports, arts, some politics, economics, and travel in relationship to Cuba and the U.S. It is a scholarly book, so it can be quite dense, but I found the information worthwhile.

I specifically have a "Cuba" shelf; if you'd like to friend each other, I'd be interested in keeping track of what you end up reading.

heather

message 6: by Rollo (new)

Rollo | 1 comments Hi Annie,

There are many good sources for information about Cuba. For a general background on the island, take a look at Cuba: From Columbus to Castro and Beyond, by Jaime Suchlicki. For a peek at man made beauty on the island, consider Cuba: 400 Years of Architectural Heritage, by Rachel Carley. For a prize winning personal account of growing up in pre-Castro Cuba, see Waiting for Snow in Havana, by Carlos Eire. For an introduction to Cuban music, examine Rites of Rhythm: The Music of Cuba, by Jory Farr.
For a description of Cuban cuisine, take a bite of Memories of a Cuban Kitchen: More Than 200 Classic Recipes, by Mary Urrutia Randelman. For a view of Cuba written by some of its most famous visitors, wander through The Reader's Companion to Cuba, by Alan Ryan. For visual taste of life on the island in 1959, see the movie Lost City starring and directed by Andy Garcia. No good introduction to Cuba would be complete without learning about the national hero, Jose Marti (Cuba’s version of the combination of George Washington and Robert Frost). Take a look at his collection of poems,Versos Sencillos (Simple Verses).