Erudite Readers discussion

Beta (Annex, #1)
This topic is about Beta
Our Favorite Books! > Beta by Rachel Cohn

Comments (showing 1-50 of 90) (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

Jon (scottreadsit) | 5707 comments Mod
Elysia is created in a laboratory, born as a sixteen-year-old girl, an empty vessel with no life experience to draw from. She is a Beta, an experimental model of a teenage clone. She was replicated from another teenage girl, who had to die in order for Elysia to exist.

Elysia's purpose is to serve the inhabitants of Demesne, an island paradise for the wealthiest people on earth. Everything about Demesne is bioengineered for perfection. Even the air induces a strange, euphoric high, which only the island's workers--soulless clones like Elysia--are immune to.

At first, Elysia's life is idyllic and pampered. But she soon sees that Demesne's human residents, who should want for nothing, yearn. But for what, exactly? She also comes to realize that beneath the island's flawless exterior, there is an under-current of discontent among Demesne's worker clones. She knows she is soulless and cannot feel and should not care--so why are overpowering sensations cloud-ing Elysia's mind?

If anyone discovers that Elysia isn't the unfeeling clone she must pretend to be, she will suffer a fate too terrible to imagine. When her one chance at happi-ness is ripped away with breathtaking cruelty, emotions she's always had but never understood are unleashed. As rage, terror, and desire threaten to overwhelm her, Elysia must find the will to survive.

The first in a dazzlingly original science fiction series from best-selling author Rachel Cohn, "Beta "is a haunting, unforgettable story of courage and love in a cor-rupted world.

Xdyj Just finished it. I think it's better than I expected.

Karina (2187) Xdyj wrote: "Just finished it. I think it's better than I expected."

Haha. Why did you not expect it to be good?

message 4: by Xdyj (last edited Nov 08, 2012 03:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xdyj Karina wrote: "Xdyj wrote: "Just finished it. I think it's better than I expected."

Haha. Why did you not expect it to be good?"

idk, maybe I've already seen a few science fiction stories w/ similar premise before, & I think the author managed to add some nice new twists & explore some new themes beyond the usual "robot/clone/etc. as a metaphor of the Other" stuff. Also IMO the overall writing quality esp. character development is better than most YA I've read, & I like it that Alex is not the love interest & is treated somewhat critically.

message 5: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I have an ARC and I keep putting off reading this book due to reviews.

message 6: by Jay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay Beta was awesome

message 7: by Leslie (last edited Nov 12, 2012 07:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leslie | 13 comments I like this one. I was a bit surprised by some of the graphic descriptions and "adult" situations the main character was in. Usually don't find that kind of stuff in YA. There is one line in which the Beta comments on about being the "architect of her own destiny" that sounded a bit much. It took me out of the story for a second because it seemed a little uncharacteristic for her. Also, the long descriptions of the homes struck me as either filler or a set up for a movie script. The author got a bit "verbose" occasionally. Perhaps simpler language would have been less jarring. Otherwise, I can't wait for the next one, as this is obviously a part of a series.

message 8: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

Glad to hear you guys are liking Beta. I guess I should read it soon!

Karina (2187) I wasn't going to read it but I think it might!

message 10: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

Karina if you get Beta, we should be reading buddies!

Karina (2187) I can probably get it later this week!!

message 12: by Michele, The bookoholic! (last edited Nov 25, 2012 06:42PM) (new)

Michele C (mcgxo95) | 4897 comments Mod
I got this book from the library awhile ago and I just returned it. I just have too many books out to read this now :P I'm glad you liked it Leslie and XDYJ.

message 13: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I can't wait to read this one!

Karina (2187) I had to request it -_-

message 15: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

Oh that sucks, I still haven't even opened my ARC!

Karina (2187) Ooh but I should be able to pick it up soon! Have you had it long?

message 17: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

Karina wrote: "Ooh but I should be able to pick it up soon! Have you had it long?"
I have had it for a decent amount of time. I expect that I will read it soon!

Karina (2187) I think I can pick up my copy in the next couple of days :P

message 19: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

Can't wait!

Karina (2187) I got my copy!

message 21: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I'm glad! We can start soon!

Karina (2187) All right, just let me know!

message 23: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I started Beta! I'm on chapter 3 but I'm going to bed now. How many chapters should we read tomorrow?

message 24: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I started Beta! I'm on chapter 3 but I'm going to bed now. How many chapters should we read tomorrow?

message 25: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

message 26: by Jay (last edited Nov 28, 2012 07:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay kevinjonaslover.♥ wrote: "I got this book from the library awhile ago and I just returned it. I just have too many books out to read this now :P I'm glad you liked it Leslie and XDYJ."

You should check it out again

Karina (2187) 4-5?

message 28: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

So we should read up to 6?

Karina (2187) Yes! So 3 chapters each day?

message 30: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I could read more if you want!

Karina (2187) I think we should read more because I just noticed how short these chapters are XD

One part I found creepy was when Elysia is first cloned and she wakes up for the first times, looks around and sees jars of spare body parts!

message 32: by Jay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay I felt bad for the other teenage clone

Karina (2187) Ohh, Becky?

message 34: by Jay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay Yeah

Karina (2187) I felt bad for her too!

message 36: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

What chapter should we read up to?

Karina (2187) 10 or 11?

message 38: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

11!

Karina (2187) Sounds good!

I am enjoying it so far but I think I already know what is going to happen. I like how innocent Elysia is though. She almost seems like a child, in the way she is learning and such.

Karina (2187) The lamb part is sad...

message 41: by Jay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay Liesel is cool

message 42: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I think the book is good so far but not great. I can see that there's definitely going to be an issue with the ataraxia and the clone-general affair. I am waiting for something surprising to happen.

message 43: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

Leslie if you're going to post a spoiler, use the spoiler button. I'm sorry but I deleted your post.

message 44: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

What chapters should we read today?

Karina (2187) Scott wrote: "I think the book is good so far but not great. I can see that there's definitely going to be an issue with the ataraxia and the clone-general affair. I am waiting for something surprising to happen."

I feel the same and I think Astrid will be involved later in the story.
This sort of reminds me of The Host, just in the way that she keeps getting these visions of her First.

We can read to 17?

Karina (2187) I think I know what is up with Tahir!

message 47: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I haven't read today's chapters yet. It does remind me a bit to The Host like you said.

Karina (2187) When you do, let me know what you think of Tahir!

I feel like now it needs to speed things up a bit.

message 49: by Jon, The Paperback Prince (new) - rated it 1 star

I am going to start 16 right now but I am feeling the same way I felt about Matched. It's entertaining but there's just nothing happening. When you say to 17, do you mean up to 17 or read 17?

Karina (2187) I think at this point something should happen! I didn't read 17, do you want to?

« previous 1